0w20 vs 5w20 running on a Mazda 3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. I really expect the chance of an oil related engine failure to be highly unlikely these days with most engines, especially up to 60k. But one point I was trying to make is for any warranty repair work and especially something like a complete engine replacement it is my understanding the dealer does not have the final approval to replace the engine or not, corporate makes that decision in the case Mazda USA. The dealer would be required to collect the appropriate documentation to Mazda USA to justify the engine replacement but as I see it from the dealer perspective they have no negative financial risk to replacing an engine, corporate at Mazda USA eats those cost as well as any other warranty service or replacement. The dealer is not responsible for those cost. I remember my father had Honda motorcycle and while under warranty the Honda dealer replaced a brake reservoir cover that was slightly scratched and my father had not even noticed. Why? They dealer did pay for it, Honda America did and reimbursed the dealer for parts and labor, the dealer made money. I had some emissions recall work done on my Subaru Forester and I asked the dealer service rep if they were making some decent business and money doing the repairs and he kind of smiled and said yes they were. The dealer does not pay for these recalls and warranty repairs, the parent corporate does. This kind of work keeps their shops busy and they make money. I cannot see where they would fight the customer honoring warranty repair work. If the dealer is asking to have oil sent to lab before a warranty claim is honored it is likely because corporate is requiring them to do that and it is not something they want to do. It is in the dealer’s best interest to not do that and just tell corporate to send out a new engine and pay them the labor to put it in. They lose nothing. Am I wrong is this?

Maybe in America but AFAIK in Canada dealers are independent of corporate when it comes to that. Most of the time they will try to sell you a new car

Dealers here are a darned mess. The Nissan/Infiniti dealership has no problem trying to push BG MOA upon people going in for oil changes (which I certainly don't do), but when I go there in to buy wipers, they tell me they have to be special ordered. After all, wipers take so much space and have such tight margins at dealer pricing, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back