5000 mile OCI on dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are many variable such as engine as well as oil but in general can most any conventional oil go 5000 miles? I drive about 25,000 mixed miles a year and was wondering if changing at 3-4k is a waste? It's 3.0 ohv ford that is a service car for me. I don't want drain good oil if I don't need to and know an oil analysis would tell everything but just wondering if anyone had insight on this? I just got it and has 110k on it so I'm a little worried about switching to semi/full syn and developing leaks.

PYB should go 5000 in just about any application unless you have a turbo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Or maybe even with a turbo,2 of them. link

My Ridgeline was run on PYB or Formula Shell for its first 98,000 miles (before I bought it) from Jiffy Lube using cheapo filters and on 6-8k mile intervals. I think its engine is remarkably clean for the "iffy" servicing it had for its first near 100,000 miles.

23406761773_3e7f90e03e_k.jpg

If you're putting 25,000 miles a year on the engine, the oil barely has time to cool off. You can run 5,000 miles on conventional oil pretty easily in your case in my opinion. Plus, I think the Ford Vulcan 3.0 is relatively easy on its oil.

I bought a used car with 90,000 miles on it. The previous owner changed oil with cheap conventional oil made by Shell about every 7,500 miles. Very similar results as Hokiefyd. The engine was very clean inside.

Conventional oil can easily do 5,000 mile intervals if you drive the car regularly.

My sig says it all.
My previous '88 Accord got the same treatment for 20 years and 220K miles and did fine.
Since I now don't drive to work it takes ~9 months to go 5000 miles.

5,000 is no problem for conventional. I have done 2 5,000 mile oil changes on conventional in my Camry, and it's supposed to be an engine easy to sludge.

Run some synthetic in that thing for 8-10k miles.

Pennzoil, Valvoline & Mobil Super Conventional oils are definitely up to the task of 5,000 miles. Your 3.0L is easy on oil as well. You can start running the oil for 5,000.

Also, no need to worry about leaks if you did happen to switch to synthetic blend or full synthetic. Synthetic oils won't make any leaks pop up that weren't already there. Your engine sounds like it should be clean right now, so switching to synthetic would be fine & might be something to consider to extend your oil change interval.

I run dino oil every 5000 miles in my older Toyotas. The Rav4 has some seal leaks so I don't know if it will make 400k miles or not.

I put 354K on a Ford Vulcan engine with M1 10-30 at 10K OCIs. When sold the engine still performed very well.

If grp III is synthetic, then so are most all grp II so you are running synthesized base stocks under the loose, current, and INCORRECT ADVERTISING definition.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Doog
Or maybe even with a turbo,2 of them. link

Did KJS run PYB in his Ecoboost? I thought it was all synblend.

Last edited:
The State of Calif determined years ago (in extensive testing) that they should go 6,000 miles between oil changes. This was on any name brand (or contract re-refined) oil. 10's of thousands of vehicles later and they are still doing that with LOTS over 250K by the time they go to auction.

5K is a really good number. Easy to keep track of and plenty safe for all modern nationwide oils. I might run a blend because they are cheap enough, but any good oil will go that far.

Good filter is essential. Wix, Baldwin, TG will do it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I put 354K on a Ford Vulcan engine with M1 10-30 at 10K OCIs. When sold the engine still performed very well.
M1 is probably the best oil available.

Heck, with the miles adding up that quickly, I would probably go with a long interval synthetic like Amsoil and change every 12k so you would only need about 2 oil changes per year with the appropriate extended range filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back