Back to greasing stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My Lincoln grease gun separated the oil in the tube a year or so ago, and so I removed the oily tube and mess, threw all that away, and haven't looked at the grease gun since. Im sick of keeping a big grease gun that separates and leaks oil after a few years. The only vehicle I have that needs lube is my truck, and there are a few other zerks around the house.

But I do need to be able to grease stuff...

So, whats the best way to prevent oil dropout from grease under storage? Freeze it?

Curious if a mini gun like these:

push.combo.01.png

Which is supposedly capable of 1000psi, could push grease into a U-joint or suspension part reliably? I could then just spoon feed the gun and the mess would be far less and manageable.

What about mini guns? Anyone refill them with "good" grease?

If I need to do a U-joint and some suspension parts, what grease would I use? When I have to do wheel bearings on my MBs, Ill use their (green) grease measured per the FSM.

Thanks!

buy the right grease.. then it wont separate and run out

The "green grease" at TSC is amazing for not separating.

Mobil 1 was HORRIBLE. Looked like someone dumped their koolaid under it after 3 months.

I've had the green grease in previous grease guns for 2-3 years with nothing leaking. I do store in a large grocery bag.. just incase.

Nothing leaking so far from my lincoln 1134 in 9 months.

The lincoln 1134 is the cheapest "Good" grease gun.

Pistol grip style that you can do high pressure or volume based on how you use it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So, whats the best way to prevent oil dropout from grease under storage? Freeze it?

I used to have that problem in the summer until I started using the "New Generation" synthetic grease by Sta-Lube. It seems to hold up well in the heat. It's the one in the purple cartridge.

SL3110.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
buy the right grease.. then it wont separate and run out

The "green grease" at TSC is amazing for not separating.

Mobil 1 was HORRIBLE. Looked like someone dumped their koolaid under it after 3 months.

I've had the green grease in previous grease guns for 2-3 years with nothing leaking. I do store in a large grocery bag.. just incase.

The lincoln 1134 is the cheapest "Good" grease gun.

Pistol grip style that you can do high pressure or volume based on how you use it.

I'll second the mobil 1 koolaid, used it in my dexter ezlube axles and all four wheels had red oil leaking out on a hot day.

I've used valvoline durablend and been very pleased.
So the right grease is the key.

I also use Valvoine, but in Synpower flavor. Typically get 2-3 years before a 14oz cartridge is used up. Haven't had an issue with leaks/seperation/drips yet. Though I have broke a couple grease guns.

Just use the right grease to begin with and you won't have separation issues. Problem solved.

I have probably 5 grease guns, and none of them leak like you describe.

Hmmm. Let's see. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline synpower, Mystik HT-1, Pennzoil 707L. Which exactly of these are the "wrong" grease?

There are stories all over of people stating that their guns leak oil. I suspect you have a selective memory if your guns are pristinely clean on the exterior...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6269

So do tell, what grease do you use that never separates off oil and never makes a mess?

Originally Posted By: Rand

Green isnt necessarily right for everything, and quite stringy. It seems to get mixed reviews as being "good" but sometimes questioned. There are a good number of discussions about it on here.

9 months is not a timeframe I'm concerned with. These things start to separate oil beyond a year or two, and make a big mess when it leaks out the end.

I keep my gun in a bucket with the handle end down. I just wipe it down before using to get any excess oil off of it. I go through a couple tubes a year but it seems they all leak oil.

So my issue is that it takes me years to go through a tube on a full size gun.

I'm not concerned with separation in a bulk container where the oil can be mixed back in, the leakage seems to occur when opened on both ends and installed in the gun. Thus why I'm thinking of trying to go to a much smaller, spoon feed gun.

I have like 12-15 zerks, that don't need greasing even once a year, given mileage and use on my truck and stuff that needs grease. Therein sort of lies the issue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So do tell, what grease do you use that never separates off oil and never makes a mess?

No problems here with Valvoline Cerulean. Better yet, Napa has it for $2.99/tube right now.

A little brake cleaner rub-down on the gun removes all remnants from my dirty paws.

P.S. - I've found the $15 LubriMatic gun Walmart carries to work just fine for the volume of greasing you have -- just make sure to loosen up the nozzle a bit before you get started the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back