Dual platinum and iridium sparkplugs vs. standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dual platinum and iridium plugs have a longer change interval than standard plugs.

Beside costing more, is there any downside to dual platinum and iridium plugs vs. standard plugs?

Originally Posted By: Olas
The downside is that copper is a more conductive metal than platinum or iridium.

So standard plugs give out a better spark / better combustion?

Some vehicles require these types of plugs tho. My car has a "Wasted spark" ignition. Basically it sparks on the intake and the out take. It your vehicle is like mine copper plugs do not last long at all with these types of ignition systems.

A lot of plugs also are only one sided (one side platinum or one side irodium).

If you buy this type tho only last about as long as normal copper plugs since half the plug is copper and ultimately that side wears out just as fast as normal plugs.

If you go with platinum or iridium make sure they are double sided.

Even if one type of plug is supposedly better than another, I've found in general it's best to stick with the OEM type plug. Case in point; I got tired of putting the OEM NGK coppers in my Corolla every 20K and tried NGK laser iridium. Starting in very cold weather became an issue. I went back to coppers and it started fine.

I absolutely agree. Use the OEM plugs if you want to eliminate potential issues. Different plugs may work well or it may have issues in short order...My days of experimenting with non-spec'd plugs ended several years ago and there hasn't been an issue since...

Fortunately the jeep 4.0 likes autolite double platinum plugs more than the champion coppers that's recommended for it. If you have any question you can ask on a forum that is just for your car and see what works and what don't.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Even if one type of plug is supposedly better than another, I've found in general it's best to stick with the OEM type plug. Case in point; I got tired of putting the OEM NGK coppers in my Corolla every 20K and tried NGK laser iridium. Starting in very cold weather became an issue. I went back to coppers and it started fine.

Agree. Stick w OEM replacement if possible. NGKs seem to work well in everything.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: Olas
The downside is that copper is a more conductive metal than platinum or iridium.

So standard plugs give out a better spark / better combustion?

Not really, the voltage is so high and the current so low in ignition systems that resistivity of the electrode doesn't matter. The plug wire resistance dominates, and that is by design.

Electrical conductivity in metals tends to track with heat conductivity, so copper also conducts heat better than platinum and iridium, but again the plug designers take that into account.

The only "downside" at all is cost per plug.

The only engines that really "need" dual Pt or dual Ir plugs are ones that fire two plugs with one coil (whether in the same cylinder like Gen III Hemis, or in paired cylinders like waste-spark systems. That's because the electrically positive electrode is the one that wears away (metal ions are attracted off it and toward the negative electrode every time it sparks). When one coil fires two plugs, ONE of the plugs has a negatively-charged side electrode, and the other had a positively- charged side electrode. Single Pt or Ir plugs will rapidly lose the side electrode on the ones where the side electrode is positive compared to the center electrode.

Last edited:
The biggest difference would be the plug tip diameter. Precious metal plugs have finer tip and that would spark at way lower voltage vs standard (steel, aka copper).

When sparked, the arc is practically no resistance, and the plug wire and resister inside the plug would make everything else looks like short circuit. I'd not worry about material resistance.

No real downside, except the extra cost.

Always use iridium when the plugs are hard to access, if available for your engine, because that way you won't ever have to change them again!

Both of my 98 Chevy trucks came with double platinum's from the factory. The problem with AC-Delco's double platinum plugs is that the platinum disc on the side electrode tends to fall off over time. I don't like the thought of these discs falling down into the combustion chamber plus it widens out the gap.

I now have AC-Delco single platinum Rapidfire plugs in both trucks but I'm going to try the AC-Delco iridium plugs in the 98 K3500 here soon since it's due for a plug change. I'm not sure how it will run but I'm going to give it a try.

Wayne

Went OEM NGK copper for 60K miles on my Accent. At 90K miles I changed to platinum and NGK wires. Been getting better gas mileage now than when I first bought the Accent. (Plus 5K mile synthetic OCI's since 60K miles.)

The Elantra on the other hand is OEM iridium.

Does anybody recheck the gaps on modern spark plugs anymore? Just wondering if it's still being done as maintenance. I may only check if I am having misfires or ignition problems (which is rarely the plugs anyway.)

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Watch the spark plug metalurgy video by autolite on youtube for the real deal

Long time since I saw you posting online☺

Always enjoy reading your posts about oil filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back