Delo 400 Severe Duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Amazon is carrying a new oil, Delo 15w-30 Severe Duty. Does anyone here have experience with it? I want to try it in my IHC Hydro 86 tractor.

It is fairly new. I am sure it is fine for anything that recommends a 30 wt HDEO where a 10W isn't needed.I can't see paying more for it over a 15w-40.

Been around a little while, it was made for start/stop applications, such as UPS & other local deliveries, believe it's a 30 weight with little or no VI, so it should stay in grade longer than a 10W30. I've never been impressed with the price, when (if you're near one) you can get 10W30 Mystik JT-8 synblend for $55/5 gallon pail from Blain's Farm & Fleet (or less if you catch a sale), or Rotella T 10W30 from a Menard's for a similar price on sale-why would you pay $18-19/gallon for the (inferior) 15W30?

yeah, price is the key. While something may look interesting and pique the interest of some folks, there really is no need to pay more for something that has no appreciable benefit to the average user.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Been around a little while, it was made for start/stop applications, such as UPS & other local deliveries, believe it's a 30 weight with little or no VI, so it should stay in grade longer than a 10W30. I've never been impressed with the price, when (if you're near one) you can get 10W30 Mystik JT-8 synblend for $55/5 gallon pail from Blain's Farm & Fleet (or less if you catch a sale), or Rotella T 10W30 from a Menard's for a similar price on sale-why would you pay $18-19/gallon for the (inferior) 15W30?

I think maybe you are jumping the gun with saying inferior. It's a niche oil, and their point is valid. If you do a bunch of stop and go, where the oil is heated and cooled many time a day, with heat soaks in between, there could be something to this. The vi's added to multigrades do break down and cause sludge and thickening. A straight weight doesn't do it, and it's been shown here in UOA's that wider spread oils have their own characteristics, thinning at first, then thickening up.
Delo straight 30 weight is for all practical purposes a 20w30, if there was such a thing, this is the closest thing to that. With the right style of driving, this oil could outperform a 15w40, and possibly a few 10w30's. But for the average long haul, get in and drive guy... probably no real benefit, except maybe better performance over some entry level oils sold on price that aren't good to begin with.

I used it in the Bug for about 2000 miles. I had to drain the oil to put a new gasket on the sump plate so I went ahead and changed it. It was very black. I know color doesn't mean much, but I imagine it was doing some cleanup to get that dark so quickly.

I might have bought some to try this summer in OPE if it hadnt gome up from $55 to $60/3 gal.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, I won't consider it since I can get a good 10w30 HDEO syn blend for $16 a gallon delivered free to my doorstep.

And you can go to AZ right now and get Delo 10w30 Syn Blend for 12.99 a gallon.

I think Delo SD has a place. The issue is run-off-run. Port of Oakland requires trucks to be off - no idling when not moving. Other areas of concentrated truck operations are going the same way. MFG's are coming out with auto-start truck engines to make these places cleaner, more efficient.

It also makes sense in tractor work when you are running hard for long stretches with full boost, and then cutting back quick to turn or something.

I'm considering it as an alternative to SAE 30 HD for the hot-rod motors I build on occasion. Flat tappets broken in on VR-1 30, then switch to SD Delo for street driving because you never know about daily conditions and it's a good oil.

If the price is compared to VR-1, it's competitive. Just gotta find it cheaper ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, I won't consider it since I can get a good 10w30 HDEO syn blend for $16 a gallon delivered free to my doorstep.

And you can go to AZ right now and get Delo 10w30 Syn Blend for 12.99 a gallon.

Along with free oil sample kits and analysis like Schaeffer does? Tried Delo early on with my Detroit and it would shear out of viscosity pretty badly in the motor.

Does Schaeffer produce their own base stock and additive packages,
or do they buy them off the shelf?
It seems to me that there are only a handful of synthetic capable lube plants in the USA,
and fewer additive sources.
That has me thinking that their product is on par with Wally World, except three times the cost.
Take any two certified CJ-4 10W30 or 15W40s, and prove that one is better than the other.

With Delo, you can follow the chain of custody, from base oil, to additive package (Oronite), to packaging and distribution.

Tired Trucker repeatedly runs at Delo, see above post.
If Schaffer is using a group III base oil, where do you suppose it comes from?
How about the Schaffer add pack?
And the truck, an 18 wheel corn pone haul running around empty 66% of the time.
The connection of GVW and engine size to viscosity cracks me up every time.

I have used Delo 15w40 and 5w40 in all my vehicles with great success. I wanted to try the 15w30.

I used it in the Bug, a full fill. The engine leaked severely. It was so bad, I figured I needed a new sump plate gasket. I went ahead and changed the oil (Mag1 5w40 CJ4/SM) while I was at it. No leaks.

Fast forward a couple or three months. It was the first time I had to top off, which was a new record. I used my leftover 15w30. I had to top off again in about a week, then next week, for a total of about two quarts. Hmm. Then the engine started leaking like crazy again. Hmm.

I started using Delo 15w40 for top off, instead. After about a quart, no more leaks, and I haven't had to top off in over three weeks.

I like Delo, but not the 15w30 due to that experience. I will stick with 5w40 or 15w40. I have not used 10w30 or straight 30.

Last edited:
Back in the day I had several air cooled Bugs,
the last a 71 Super Beetle.
I used the same oil that my air cooled motorcycles got,
20W50, SAE40 and 10W40 for winter.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I have used Delo 15w40 and 5w40 in all my vehicles with great success. I wanted to try the 15w30.

I used it in the Bug, a full fill. The engine leaked severely. It was so bad, I figured I needed a new sump plate gasket. I went ahead and changed the oil (Mag1 5w40 CJ4/SM) while I was at it. No leaks.

Fast forward a couple or three months. It was the first time I had to top off, which was a new record. I used my leftover 15w30. I had to top off again in about a week, then next week, for a total of about two quarts. Hmm. Then the engine started leaking like crazy again. Hmm.

I started using Delo 15w40 for top off, instead. After about a quart, no more leaks, and I haven't had to top off in over three weeks.

I like Delo, but not the 15w30 due to that experience. I will stick with 5w40 or 15w40. I have not used 10w30 or straight 30.

That would indicate to me that there was/is some unique chemistry in the SD 15W-30. Some sort of ISO-polymerization that acted like old PAO based synthetics (they could soak through glass...). That makes it all the more intriguing
laugh.gif

And now that VR-1 is gone from Calif, maybe SD is the new kid on the block for hot-rod motors in the Golden State ...

Maybe...

But I think Chevron is so conservative, that they come up with good product and then seldom blow their own horn. They do well enough with fleet operators, but the general public seems to not hear much about a lot of their products ...

They have never engaged in the sort of marketing that XOM has for say Mobil1... Or SOPUS has for Pennz products ...

It's almost the exact opposite of say AmsOil
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back