Kendall GT-1 synthetic oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of Kendall GT-1 spec sheets recently. Why? Because I just found a distributor who imports Kendall oils into Australia and sells them to the public at a decent price (for Australia).

The product they offered me is a 12 Qt box of Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 10W-30 with Liquid Titanium (API SN & ILSAC GF-5), for about the same price as Castrol Edge when it's on sale at the local retail stores.

Now I need more oil like a fat kid needs more cupcakes. Plus I'm more of an A3/B4 sort of guy, than a GF-5 person. However, I do have a soft spot for full synthetic 10W-30 oils, probably because we just can't get them here. The mystique of the unobtainable.

So the full synthetic GT-1 10W-30 is
HTHS = 3.1
TBN = 8.0
Ti = 100 ppm
Zn = 850 ppm

But looking at the Kendall GT-1 Dexos1 5W-30 oil it is
HTHS = 3.2
TBN = 7.9
Ti = ???
Zn = 850 ppm

It appears the Dexos oil has no Ti in it, plus they never say if it's a Full Synthetic or a Synthetic Blend.

So does anybody know about Kendal Dexos oil ?
Is it a synthetic or synblend?
Does it have Titanium in it? And if not, why not?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Looks like it's a syn blend that doesn't contain titanium- which could likely be a result of meeting the Dexos spec. GM may not want Ti in their approved lubes?

I say syn blend because their syn oils are plainly marked as such and boldly stated in the PDS.

If it is Dexos approved, then you can have faith that it is a good product.

Kendall 5w-30 Dexos PDS

Kendall is good stuff. If the 5w-30 doesn't say full syn, it's the blend. 770 ppm phosphorous, no mention of Ti in the PDS. Dexos 1 is a superior spec to API SN, and this 5w-30 meets other specs as well, including the turbocharger HTO-06 spec.

We sell it at work sticker on the tank says full synthetic and no ti in it. May run it in my crown Vic next oil change.

Thanks all for your input.

All the other Kendall PDS proudly claim full synthetic & Ti numerous times, so I find the lack of the same claims on the Dexos product suspicious. Even though I'm sure it's a good product.

However, it's now a moot point, as on speaking to the local supplier, they can supply the full synthetic 10W-30 (with Ti) in a 12 Qt box (min purchase). But the Kendall Dexos oil is only imported in 208L drums. Good as it is, that would take me 20+ years to use up.

I don't need anymore oil, I've recently stocked up on Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, but I do like the idea of running an exotic import like Kendall 10W-30.

I should just be sensible and walk away.

Thanks again.

Hold it, according to this Kendall web page, they make both a full synthetic and a semi-synthetic Dexos1 oil. Hence the confusion.

http://www.kendallmotoroils.com

Both the dexos oils are 5W-30

Here is the 10W-30 that I can get
kendall-gt-1-full-synthetic-10w-30-with-liquid-titanium-12-1qt-case-7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back