2015 F 150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone change trans fluid on a 15 F-150 yet? A little early I know but I was wondering!!! Lots of questions here. I'd love to know the best procedure, especially the fill with no dipstick. Is a lift a must?

You will need it up in the air, running, warmed up, and level to properly check level and fill. The plug is right next to the cat, so you'll be doing lots of crawling to prevent burning your arms.

Sounds a little early to change a 2015.

Its never too early to change it.

Go to a dealer and ask for the print off of the procedure for a drain and fill or simply say "leveling procedure".

Or splurge $17 on AllData online and get the procedure and anything else you care to download.

Go for it!

If it is the 6R80, which I think it still is, KingCake has the correct proceedure. There is a dipstick, located under the truck. To check the fill level the fluid must be at operating temp with the engine running, all while manipulating a small dipstick next to a hot exhaust.

Not much fun under a vehicle on jack stands. Easier if you have a lift, or unfortunately, pay someone to do it, which is what I did with my Explorer (has the same transmission behind the V8's in the '06-10 models).

I've swapped the fluid on my 09 a few times. Due to the difficulty of access, I've now added a remote filter head between the outlet at the radiator and the inlet of the remote cooler. I use a Fram XG2 filter there and don't plan on swapping fluid again for a long time. While I wouldn't go with it, Ford claims it is a lifetime fluid that only needs changing at 150k miles on a severe service schedule and never on a regular schedule. I would wait until 50k miles for a pan drop at this point. I'll grab some pictures of my filter setup and post them. Total cost for the filter setup was about $80Cdn (what is that?...$6 US these days?). As the transmission has a thermostat, it flows through the filter only when the fluid is at operating temperature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tcp71
I've swapped the fluid on my 09 a few times. Due to the difficulty of access, I've now added a remote filter head between the outlet at the radiator and the inlet of the remote cooler. I use a Fram XG2 filter there and don't plan on swapping fluid again for a long time. While I wouldn't go with it, Ford claims it is a lifetime fluid that only needs changing at 150k miles on a severe service schedule and never on a regular schedule. I would wait until 50k miles for a pan drop at this point. I'll grab some pictures of my filter setup and post them. Total cost for the filter setup was about $80Cdn (what is that?...$6 US these days?). As the transmission has a thermostat, it flows through the filter only when the fluid is at operating temperature.

I've wanted to do this on my Tacoma which has an Aisin Warner trans with the same type of "dip stick".

Does putting an inline filter present any issues with pressure drop?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: tcp71

I've wanted to do this on my Tacoma which has an Aisin Warner trans with the same type of "dip stick".

Does putting an inline filter present any issues with pressure drop?

Problem with the inline filters is they separate at the seams and dump your fluid on the road. Even the magnefines.

Wait until the truck has 30,000-50,000 (depending on driving conditions) to change the transmission fluid. Worry about the change procedure then.

Another CRITICAL piece to this puzzle is that the 6R80 has a thermostatically controlled cooler line. AFAIK the thermostat is located on the return side as the fluid re-enters the transmission. In other words if you try to do a traditional cooler line "flush" you will not be able to get any fluid to go in if you don't have a warmer.

Yeah, you can do a pan drop and fill but thats only a couple quarts at a time. If you start early, like the OP, and do it regularly maybe its a good way to prevent the need for a flush. I know the filter is spec'd "for life" and some well reputed online personalities support that rating.

In any case, my truck has 75k on it and the only fluid service it has seen was when the pan was dropped to replace some solenoids under warranty a while back. I'm planning to have the dealer to a atf replacement before 100k (spec is 150k) and the sooner the better, but it might not be for a while yet. And thats ok for my use.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Another CRITICAL piece to this puzzle is that the 6R80 has a thermostatically controlled cooler line. AFAIK the thermostat is located on the return side as the fluid re-enters the transmission. In other words if you try to do a traditional cooler line "flush" you will not be able to get any fluid to go in if you don't have a warmer.

Yeah, you can do a pan drop and fill but thats only a couple quarts at a time. If you start early, like the OP, and do it regularly maybe its a good way to prevent the need for a flush. I know the filter is spec'd "for life" and some well reputed online personalities support that rating.

In any case, my truck has 75k on it and the only fluid service it has seen was when the pan was dropped to replace some solenoids under warranty a while back. I'm planning to have the dealer to a atf replacement before 100k (spec is 150k) and the sooner the better, but it might not be for a while yet. And thats ok for my use.

That's true. If you disconnect a cooler line, the oil flows out of the return line. Easy to catch that way. The hard part is filling the system through the dipstick hole. I rigged up a long hose and funnel and refilled that way,but it's a test in patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back