Ever have an "old guy" day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never a boring day in retail-like ever....
wink.gif

Helping a older gentleman today...trying to show him how to use the clock radio. Dude just didn't get it. Even gave him the directions...

Tells his wife "this retard can't show me how to use this". Great..

My co worker walks by....catches part of what is going on. " Hey-be nice-it's his birthday!"

Older gentleman to his wife" Great, the retard has a birthday" Thinking by the look on his wife's face-she just wants out of here now...
shocked.gif

Yeah, it was that kind a people day. Funny part, I helped another older gentleman the same radio...he not only understood, but was grateful for the help....

I could only laugh...what can I say? Hope it gives you guys a little laugh. Was not going to let it ruin my shine today...
cool.gif

How can you get mad at someone that can't work a clock calling someone else a retard?
lol.gif

Sold a giant screen tv to Robert Young in like 87 a few years before he died.

He called me an idiot because "I couldn't explain the remote control to him."

I'm not talking about the complex mutibutton remote used to set up the TV.

I'm talking about the simplified remote control that looked like a pen that had three buttons on it. The guy was completely gone mentally.

UD

It's all okay because you'll be old someday.

Willie Nelson wears a t-shirt that reads, "Getting old ain't for sissies".

And finally there a definition of old age that I'm told you will not completely appreciate until you get older....

"You're old when a good (insert word for bowel movement) is far more important than a good (insert word for favorite sex act)."

I'm sure retail has a ton of fun stories like this dude calling you a retard...BUT I swear, small and medium cop jobs with cops or Sgts.(civ dispatchers to their credit tend to be much more disciplined) answering phones have a zillion stories that just make you ROFL.

I can "feel" the its so ridiculous its actually not an insult but hysterical funny.....because of the pitch and tenor of the dude and clear outa his mind mentality.

Big plus you have the mental strength to see it for what it is and get a laugh. Life is so much better when your laughing.

Dont miss retail at all. I respect anyone that can politely handle the job.

I had to help a customer with her smart phone and the store app one time. Old lady behind her got all [censored] and ran off to someone else asking if I'd like to see her phone and pulled out a dummy phone.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not sure anyone is "born" that way. I think it's a learned behavior. Some learn that it's ok to call people names.

When you get older, you just take off more and more of the filters you might have used when you were younger.

It's the guy's defense mechanism. He doesn't understand. It obviously can't be his fault, so you are a moron or whatever name he chooses.

Because he can't be the moron...

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
It's not because they're old... they were born that way.

javacontour spoke truth. It jogged my memory.

My maternal grandmother said, "If you meet a nasty old person you can bet they were nasty when they were young."

My wee addition would allow for the insertion of any other adjective (greedy-dishonest etc.) Kira

Well I am in the old category, but I also try to be polite and courteous when dealing with someone. When I bought my Pilot the salesman was going over all the details of the car and the navigation system at warp speed. I stopped him in the middle of his spiel and said I will read the manual when I get home and if I have any questions I will call you. What a lot of young people forget is a lot of older folks did not grow up with the technology out there today so we tend to be slower grasping it all. Still, no excuse for calling anyone names.

It takes some for someone who is struggling with a basic piece of technology (i.e. a clock radio) to call someone else a retard. I'm not saying all senior citizens who fail to master technology should be publicly flogged, but if you make an example out of one or two, the rest might be a little more motivated to learn, as Sheldon Cooper once said.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm not saying all senior citizens who fail to master technology should be publicly flogged, but if you make an example out of one or two, the rest might be a little more motivated to learn, as Sheldon Cooper once said.
wink.gif

He said the guy was nasty....not Canadian...
crackmeup2.gif

Sorry, but the user interface on most clock radios totally blows.

All buttons lined up in one row.
Cheapest, smallest buttons known to man, with graphics legend to match. Likely in black, which doesn't help to see it in the bedroom.

Time still resets to 12:00 after brief power outage.

Here ya' go. This is a clock radio.
10-key entry. Auto-brightness control. Battery backup. Every button performs a single function, volume is a slider.
Easy-peasy to set the time, set one (or two) alarms.
Tuning: not so hot. Either direct entry or scan via up/down.

maxresdefault.jpg

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Lets hear for all us 1946 kids, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Yup Feb 25, 1943. The old guy the OP discussed robably is suffering from dementia..can't figure out how an alarm clock works and then takes out frustrations with inappropriate comments.

I've never figured I could work with the general public and be subjected to that kind of customer. That said, the old guy may have an attitude based on experience with other "younger" people in retail - a lot of them are clueless and incapable of interacting with others. He could also be afflicted with some level of dementia - such people can be completely oblivious to the feelings of others. Of course he could well be a cranky old jerk.

Funniest retail moment I had with old people was when this old lady yelled to me that her mart-cart had died. So I went up front to get her a new one. I pushed it over to the section she was (we weren't allowed to drive) and she was gone.

So I went to wheel it back to the front and I ran into a coworker wheeling her one. On my way back to where I was stocking, I saw her in a different spot.

I don't know what she was doing, but it worked right after she asked us for a new one.

And, of course, always getting run over

It's having to deal with all kinds of personalities when working in retail. I'd personally rather deal with old guys than young guys that are overflowing with testosterone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back