Considering 7.5k intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Didnt alot of Hondas of that vintage consume mass quantities of oil?

Like Saturn thirsty?

Yep. Especially if you go into vtec. They also spec replacing the filter every other oi change.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
A filter you might want to consider, and I have encountered owners of that engine using on Jeep forums, is the Motorcraft FL-400s. I use it now on our Lexus for 7.5k OCIs. Widely available, well-built, cheap, stout. I like it better than the Wix I had been using, and it is 1/2 the cost of them since their prices have skyrocketed.

I have been cutting Motorcraft FL-820S and the first one I cut had a tear in the media. Other FL-820S I have cut open show the pleats near the splice are collapsing and this is the region where the tears occur.

For the longer OCIs, I would at least cut a few to see they are OK. The FL-400S is a different design and may not present the same issue like the FL-820S does.

Just my thoughts on it.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
My 90's Honda states 7,500 on the Airbox, but I'm not quite sure an oil was good enough for that back then.

You're right. Honda obviously didn't bother testing the current API grade of the time.

Thank you for your intelligent comment, what would we do without witty people like you contributing.

You think Honda spec'd an oil change interval for oil that didn't exist. Tell me who's not being intelligent.

You have zero information or context on my Honda's recommendations, so frankly you.

I don't know of an SH rated oil I would have been comfortable running that long, and besides that was under the ideal conditions recommendations. The severe service recommendation which real driving falls under was closer to the 3K/3mo interval we all remember so well.

Thanks for playing.

I don't know of an SH rated oil I would have been comfortable running that long, and besides that was under the ideal conditions recommendations. The severe service recommendation which real driving falls under was closer to the 3K/3mo interval we all remember so well.

Thanks for playing.

I'm sorry my constant factual assertion that Honda recommends 7500 intervals even on API SH oil is causing you so much personal anguish.

I'd scan a few of the honda factory service manuals I have in front of me but I'm afraid you just might not be able to handle it.

I might just have to run my current oil to 5k and get a UOA done. If it goes to 5500 or so, oh well.

Thanks for playing.

I'm sorry my constant factual assertion that Honda recommends 7500 intervals even on API SH oil is causing you so much personal anguish.

I'd scan a few of the honda factory service manuals I have in front of me but I'm afraid you just might not be able to handle it.

And I could scan mine in for you. Go ahead and scan yours in, it would be the first useful thing you contributed to this thread.

I DID point out that Honda recommends a 7500 interval myself Einstein. The point I made that you seem to be completely missing is that I doubt a SH oil of the day would hold up well to a 7500 run.

Reading comprehension, try it sometime.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What filters are recommended here for a 7500 mile oil change?
Fram Toughgard, Fram Ultra, Wix, Mobil1.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Pennzoil gold bottle is 50% synthetic or T5 if you want something more stout in a blend would be another option. Both will go 7500 miles, of course. Personally, I'd lean toward the T5 Rotella.

Fram Ultra could be run two oci's if you want to push it to it's advertised limit.
I agree with you on the T5 10w30. Seems like it would be a good oil for doing 7.5k in your Jeep.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I might just have to run my current oil to 5k and get a UOA done. If it goes to 5500 or so, oh well.

Sounds like a good plan; I take it you'll be leaving it in @ 5k?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What filters are recommended here for a 7500 mile oil change?
Fram Toughgard, Fram Ultra, Wix, Mobil1.

Also Amsoil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back