why would someone want to pay with a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really no makes sense why technology is moving to smartphones to buy or sell. seriously, if you lose your phone and cash is no longer accepted. major bummer. or it could be to start up the evil one plan for buying/selling through a chip in your hand, err in your phone.

disclaimer, this is not me in the video.
lol.gif

May be I did not make point clear but it seems very insecure to use only iPhone fingerprint as authentication scheme. If the phone is with you and you get robbed, the robber now has your phone and your fingerprint to do the damage. The fingerprint scanner does not know if you are dead or almost dead. If you do not have two factor authentication aka something you "know", you have given essentially full access to your attacker.

Are you under impression that fingerprint scanner does not work if the fingerprint was taken under duress?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
May be I did not make point clear but it seems very insecure to use only iPhone fingerprint as authentication scheme. If the phone is with you and you get robbed, the robber now has your phone and your fingerprint to do the damage. The fingerprint scanner does not know if you are dead or almost dead. If you do not have two factor authentication aka something you "know", you have given essentially full access to your attacker.

Are you under impression that fingerprint scanner does not work if the fingerprint was taken under duress?

I don't see how this is any different than getting robbed and having your credit card taken. The robber would basically be kidnapping you or chopping off your finger to use the fingerprint scanner. Those scenarios are much rarer and there's no complete security. I really doubt if a robber is going to have you walk into a store at gunpoint and make you use your phone and scan your fingerprint. Possible and I'm sure there will be a few cases a year, but that's just like a robber forcing you at gunpoint to take out money at an ATM machine. It still happens, but it's rare. What would normally happen is that your phone gets stolen and they can't access the phone because it's locked. What's more, once you report it stolen, it can be wiped remotely, same as reporting a lost credit card.

New technologies lead to new exploits and dangers. Before the car, there were a lot fewer deaths on the highway, but we haven't gotten rid of cars yet. For that matter before the car, we didn't really have highways.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to be able to buy a 55in TV from Walmart with an Iphone and a severed finger.

That's an order of magnitude up the criminal scale than stealing a wallet and running the CC's inside until they are locked.

Last edited:

My money getting stolen is the least of my worries if I get robbed or am dead or almost dead and am forced to use my fingerprint under duress.

Apply some risk analysis to the situation.

I won't buy any apple product because people are getting robbed and sometimes killed for them. Like when kids were being killed in the hood for their air Jordan's.

We also decided for a suburban over an escalade for the same reason. Less chance of getting jacked.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My money getting stolen is the least of my worries if I get robbed or am dead or almost dead and am forced to use my fingerprint under duress.

Or if I'm getting my finger chopped off.

Because you cannot carry 5 different cards with you that have different incentives for different merchants...

I have a problem carrying more than 3 cards in my wallet, and I only care about rebates and not interest rates.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I won't buy any apple product because people are getting robbed and sometimes killed for them. Like when kids were being killed in the hood for their air Jordan's.

We also decided for a suburban over an escalade for the same reason. Less chance of getting jacked.

This is really indicative of how bad things are in our country.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Its more indicative that he lives in a ghetto...

Last edited:
Regarding to NFC payment security, from my 2nd hand R&D information I know they are 2 way encrypted all the way from the secure element inside the phone to the authentication server of the banks, and no passing keys around in between.

This means those card skimmer installed on top of gas station or rouge employee hacking grocery store card reader days are gone. In theory you can't hack the secure element even if you get into the phone, because it is a different system and the key is burnt in and not readable.

However, like all security there're loophole. If you use scanning electron microscope you can probably read the transistor state to see what is the key inside your phone, or just simply hack into the banks' servers. It is probably not worth the work for a few hundred bucks of profit per attempt, and only worth the effort for military or national security reasons.

In practice things get hacked all the time because of careless implementation, and nobody can fool proof that 100%.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I seriously doubt anyone is going to be able to buy a 55in TV from Walmart with an Iphone and a severed finger.

That's an order of magnitude up the criminal scale than stealing a wallet and running the CC's inside until they are locked.

It is easier to force someone to give up a pin number instead of chop off their fingers.

I pay cash for just about everything except when I'm shopping online. And I do it precisely because I AM non-high tech and hip.
There's a lot to be said for simplicity in life and identity theft risk avoidance by not depending on electronics for everything except wiping our own butts. And if there were an app for that, I'll bet plenty of people would buy it

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Apply some risk analysis to the situation.

I smell a Weekend at Bernie's 3 in the making!!!

How many here have actually lost money do to fraudulent charges?
My AMEX felt like it got one yearly and they'd notify me, send a replacement card, and I'd lose $0

Happens less frequently now, actually. I own and use more CCs too (bonus miles etc) now.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Its more indicative that he lives in a ghetto...

Or that his tinfoil hat is too tight...

Your kids understand why you are cautious in today's world...

I find my phone makes a great alarm clock. I have to charge it anyway, so I put it on my night stand, set the alarm and it displays a clock, much like my old clock radio.

It goes off, I wake up.

Pretty simple really.

If the power goes out, it still works.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Because people think theyre high tech and hip?

Yes, the same reason they think it's a wonderful replacement for an alarm clock, a calendar, and a camera, when, in reality, it does all those quite poorly. Well, a calendar isn't a big deal and it's hard to screw that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back