Thoughts on these SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the (2016)
Chevy Traverse
Hyundai Santa Fe
Honda Pilot

I’ve driven the Traverse (rental) on a 2000-mile trip to Salt Lake and back. It was nice. I like to quality of the Hyundai. The Pilot probably won’t get the nod because I want more room, but you never know. I don’t have Toyota in due to low MPG and Ford (size). I don’t want a big SUV. I want to keep the hwy mpg around 30.

The plan is to trade the Silverado and Civic in for the SUV.

We have a Hyundai Santa Fe as a rental right now. Very nice vehicle, no complaints about power, and 21-ish in 100% city MPGs.

But I think the pilot is likely bigger and it sure looks longer.

Want to keep the highway mpg around 30?

Traverse gets 24 mpg

Toyota Highlander gets 25 mpg

Subaru is the only brand you need to know if you want or need AWD.
Nothing is as good.

It takes me forever to buy a vehicle. Over the last eight months I drove everything, many more than once. When I finally made up my mind I went with the Pilot. I really am liking it.

If MPG is high on the list, a Mazda CX5 with a 2.5L is an excellent choice and gets a good rated highway EPA at 30 with AWD.

I had driven a friend's 2012 Traverse LTZ with 137,000km on the clock. Was very unimpressed with the overall quality of the vehicle. The interior was cheap, creaked and screamed low quality. Overall the chassis/drivetrain felt worn out for such an expensive vehicle and mileage.

I realize there has been advances in the vehicle since 2012 but just food for thought.

b

Since you limited to the 3 vehicles listed, I'd go for the Hyundai. Several in my family and friends and all have excellent service ranging from ~ 10,000 to 90,000 miles. Ed

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Looking at the (2016)
Chevy Traverse
Hyundai Santa Fe
Honda Pilot

I’ve driven the Traverse (rental) on a 2000-mile trip to Salt Lake and back. It was nice. I like to quality of the Hyundai. The Pilot probably won’t get the nod because I want more room, but you never know. I don’t have Toyota in due to low MPG and Ford (size). I don’t want a big SUV. I want to keep the hwy mpg around 30.

The plan is to trade the Silverado and Civic in for the SUV.

If you want more cargo space than the Pilot you can rule out the Santa Fe as well.

Traverse: 116 cubic ft
Pilot: 109 cubic ft
Santa Fe: 80 cubic ft

I would choose the Santa Fe or Pilot over the Traverse. I think the Pilot would be the most reliable of the bunch, but the Santa Fe shouldn't be too far behind.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Want to keep the highway mpg around 30?

Traverse gets 24 mpg

Toyota Highlander gets 25 mpg

I was thinking the same thing... Hybrid Highlander?

Hyundai Santa Fe is by far my choice... Super nice and very reliable with the best warranty. The Traverse don't come close. Toyota highlander is ok but the Hyundai is nicer and Toyota's quality has been slipping the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back