FRAM made V-105 CUT OPEN, 2014 Acadia, 6,000~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the Labelboys, always quick to label, can chime in with the Framboy Card as soon as someone decides to say "looks OK." Looks OK to me, it filters the oil through a fairly efficient media with a good opening bypass valve. Seems they have fixed the old problems they had with these.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
4th and 5th pics look like the endcap, has peeled awsy from the media

If that was the case, car51 would have certainly mentioned it. But he didn't.

Well I dont speak for him. Just pointing out what it looks like. And it certainly does look like it on those pics.

Perhaps hes afraid he wont be popular around here if he reveals the truth about a less than acceptable filter that seems to mysteriously garnish a lot of love around here regardless

ManofSteel: the fiber endcaps did look shoddy but were very secure. I don't sugar coat s*** either
smile.gif

BlueOvalFilter: this combo was in for 6,009 is exact mileage friend says according to the trip meter he used/s

4th and 5th pics look like the endcap, has peeled awsy from the media

If that was the case, car51 would have certainly mentioned it. But he didn't.

Well I dont speak for him. Just pointing out what it looks like. And it certainly does look like it on those pics.

Perhaps hes afraid he wont be popular around here if he reveals the truth about a less than acceptable filter that seems to mysteriously garnish a lot of love around here regardless

Those photos are pretty dark and some out of focus ... so nobody could conclude anything unless they have some bias going on and imagining things.

car51 isn't brand biased and tell is like it is.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
that oil looks like it went longer than it should have.
how were you able to determine this?

It just "looks" nasty and very very black, almost like the oil I used to drain from diesel engines on welding machines.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Once upon a time there was a crooked tree and a straight
tree. And they grew next to each other. And every day the straight tree would look at the crooked tree and he would say, "You're crooked. You've always been crooked and you'll continue to be crooked. But look at me! Look at me!" said the straight tree. He said, "I'm tall and I'm straight." And then one day the lumberjacks came into the forest and looked around, and the manager in charge said, "Cut all the straight trees." And that crooked tree is still there to this day, growing strong and growing strange.

-Kneller

So, the moral to this story is, FRAM only cuts straight trees to make their OCOD end caps from?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Once upon a time there was a crooked tree and a straight
tree. And they grew next to each other. And every day the straight tree would look at the crooked tree and he would say, "You're crooked. You've always been crooked and you'll continue to be crooked. But look at me! Look at me!" said the straight tree. He said, "I'm tall and I'm straight." And then one day the lumberjacks came into the forest and looked around, and the manager in charge said, "Cut all the straight trees." And that crooked tree is still there to this day, growing strong and growing strange.

-Kneller

So, the moral to this story is, FRAM only cuts straight trees to make their OCOD end caps from?
grin.gif

LoL ... and Purolator must use those crooked trees for their media.

Fram's engineered caps let the media grow strange yet intact, unlike other brands with their hard wearing caps.

Man, tough and opinionated crowd over one FRAM made for Valvoline filter. Amazing though, when people see a Carquest "red" filter it's OK

Grow up people!

And I am not brand loyal as "someone" in this thread thinks I am. FRAM filters have never let me down, and I have used WIX and Pro Tec and even a few FRAM ULTRAS

Sorry if I was a little ticked off. This does look like a extra guard filter. I dug it out of scrap metal bin. The fiber end caps both are secure but little flex in each of them.

Oh boy, guess once you get knowledgeable from the internet and hate FRAM, you just hate FRAM. That filter is made by FRAM, we make several designs for Valvoline including a Extra Guard clone (seen in the pictures) and ecore on many models. Everything we make for them is either 94 0r 95.7% efficiency@20 microns. They switched to us because of repeated FAILURES of Purolator products, not to save money. Those touting the new Boss Purolator filter over Ultra, yes it is a dam good looking filter, thick tapping plate and awesome paint job. That said, it costs more and internal testing shows low restriction, good capacity and (XXX) efficiency. I strongly suggest you all continue to press them for real efficiency numbers in writing. (Per ISO-4548-12 testing)Saying "99%+ dirt removal power" is totally meaningless marketing statement and nothing more. Actually it is an insult to guys like you who know better.

Hi Jay How can the new Boss flow so well with those small oil holes on the center tube?
Did you guys at Fram do the actual testing on the new Boss? Personally im sticking with the ultra.. I was not so sure if the ultra flowed so good in the beginning but it seems to be fine and im now using them...Which filter flows better the Ultra or the Boss?

Fram's engineered caps let the media grow strange yet intact, unlike other brands with their hard wearing caps.

+1 +2

The soft end caps float with the pleats and do not put additional stress on the pleats and therefore they do not tear as readily as the metal end cap varieties made by the others.

This is another Fram made filter that went well beyond it's stated use recommendation.

Not a Fram boy but I might be persuaded.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
How can the new Boss flow so well with those small oil holes on the center tube?

As long as the louver slits are bent open pretty good, I doubt the center tube design restricts any flow. There are so many slits that the total area would be well above what's needed.

But, there were a couple of photos of a louvered center tube where the slits were barely opened up, so I'd be leery of that if the slit openings were paper thin.

Nothing wrong with the cq red and nothing really wrong with this one really....people just like to find the bad in anything...Guy at work uses these filters on his motor without issue...

car51, you sent me a couple of these just recently. We have an 1996 Grand Marquis we will be using one on later this week. The car is for an elderly and disabled woman at the other complex. She told us she can't remember when the oil was changed last.
I am going to try and keep some of the old oil filters from these vehicles and C&P them. Usually my cousin and friend just let them drop into the oil container. I don't want to fish them out.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
How can the new Boss flow so well with those small oil holes on the center tube?

As long as the louver slits are bent open pretty good, I doubt the center tube design restricts any flow. There are so many slits that the total area would be well above what's needed.

But, there were a couple of photos of a louvered center tube where the slits were barely opened up, so I'd be leery of that if the slit openings were paper thin.

If they are nearly closed it is an issue. That seems pretty clear. I had a filter I returned to WM that they were almost all closed. Otherwise here is Hastings take on the louvers, they claim more flow than average:

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/ProductsLubeLF115Detail.html

I sure like their dual flow heavy duty filters maybe we car owners will start getting them some day.

The other question I have, for Jay, is what measures do they take to make sure no burr material is on the inside of the center tube? I do see the Frams have quite a bit of burring around the center tube holes. Their own Champ Labs e core filter description make a point of increased cleanliness due to the nylon core tube, so being immersed in the details of oil filter construction, I think it is a fair question to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back