Tinkering around today with my Cold Air Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a graciously accepted 50$ gift card to AAP today, I decided to tinker around with my Cold Air Intake...
Swapped the K&N Coupling and Filter with the Spectre Performance ones.

I feel like the Spectre cones are a little better than the typhoon style K&N Cones. (Plastic vs Metal base, etc)

Regardless, the Spectre came with the gaskets to fit to a 3in pipe, and it all fit pretty easily. total time to do was around 20 mins and 3 lonestar beers.

Circa 7/2014, OEM
10502118_10201109940949087_5184134261209008473_n_1.jpg

Circa 7/2014 K&N
10502166_10201109942669130_6491535401537648748_n_1.jpg

Today Spectre
12714410_10203765739062380_838136385_n.jpg

The inside of the CAI tube was perfectly clean after I took it all off. Wiped it all down and cleaned the out inside and out with carb cleaner. wiped dry.

the K&N wasn't too bad looking after 20K, will keep it.

cleaned under the hood as well, wiping everything down
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Hot air intake

THIS

I'm failing to see the benefit. It's sucking in hot engine compartment air.

The stock filter sucked it in from the fender or the front of the car. IT was a cold air intake.

It's just a noise maker

Theres a funnel system under it leading to the grill shutters. The add on piece I have under the CAI filter cups around the filter on the bottom. Leading to fresh air from the fenderwells and Grille

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
There is cold air in that part of TX?
Hot air intake

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dodge dart forum
This is technically a short ram intake, though lots of people seem to blur the line between the two on marketing... Anyways it's not sucking in hot air (entirely) what you can't see is below the air filter, this is where the stock intake sucks in air from the fender, so it's still ramming air in that same passage as you are moving. Also keep in mind this is the only kit with a heat shield, that rubber seal butts up against the roof of the hood preventing a lot of heat and not air from entering. It's amazing just putting your hand on either side of the shield you can feel a major difference in temperature

Ohh. And fwiw. These dont have a MAF

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks good.

Interesting to see before/after 1/4 mile runs with intake/CAI.

Looks nice! Not to bash but I doubt it will give you any difference in power but all that matters is that you like it.

Hot air intake

Yep. Put the OEM setup back in. $50 doesn't buy better engineering than OE.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

Then it's even more useless. Your engine can't see any extra air even if that hot air intake worked.

Engineers are restricted by both affordability as well as CAFE...

Engineers also design MOPAR parts which include CAIs.

If money wasnt an issue, nor was MPGs we would have alot of "aftermarket" parts be OEM. (See VIPER, srt models)

I have seen off the production lines that include CAIs.

Sometimes people buy vehicles to tinker around and play with...

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Hot air intake

Yep. Put the OEM setup back in. $50 doesn't buy better engineering than OE.

Youre implying that OEM is always right, and anything other than OEM isn't on the same level?
Lets compare some of the OEM Acdelco filters to lets say even a TG Fram.
Or lets compare OEM tires to something a little more durable.

At 24, I enjoy "fixing what isnt broken"

OEM to me is the minimum you should go.. If it supersedes OEM, by far lets do it.

This filter isnt because I wanted power, nor is it because I wanted noise.

This filter more for "I like it"

On my dart I removed the resonators on the air filter system but left the stock system and verified air temps weren't affected. So it sounds like a Cai but actually still filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: dodge dart forum
This is technically a short ram intake, though lots of people seem to blur the line between the two on marketing... Anyways it's not sucking in hot air (entirely) what you can't see is below the air filter, this is where the stock intake sucks in air from the fender, so it's still ramming air in that same passage as you are moving. Also keep in mind this is the only kit with a heat shield, that rubber seal butts up against the roof of the hood preventing a lot of heat and not air from entering. It's amazing just putting your hand on either side of the shield you can feel a major difference in temperature

And its not 'ramming' anything.

OP, I am not a pro but I have tuning software and handhelds, I've looked at enough IAT comparisons that I would put money down that you've increased your IATs a bit. I've done what you did at 24. Now I'm 29. Metal transfers heat like no other so that tube is not helping you either. The shield is good, I would do more to block it off depending on what I wanted. Hotter air usually helps MPGs.

I would insulate that tube.

Looks good OP. I would leave the K&N in but that's just a matter of opinion. In fact, i would rather have the K&N drop-in too. Don't be discouraged and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back