What's a good price for a 2013 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure rides like a truck, herky jerky. For that reason I'd go with a Highlander. Same size if not bigger, better mileage etc. Not to mention looks better from the front. Whew, that thing is ugly. Probably has good character though.

Didn't say the Limited was great. Not my idea to stick all that luxo stuff in an SUV, and the 20" wheels on the 4Runnef look silly.

But it is about $10K more...so the trim level is germane to the price discussion.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It sure rides like a truck, herky jerky. For that reason I'd go with a Highlander. Same size if not bigger, better mileage etc. Not to mention looks better from the front. Whew, that thing is ugly. Probably has good character though.

The 4Runner is a truck, it's intended to ride like such. It's far more capable than any Highlander could hope to be.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

The 4Runner is a truck, it's intended to ride like such. It's far more capable than any Highlander could hope to be.

Agreed. Though I've driven a 2015, and its light years ahead of the truck ride on my 1990 4Runner.

It's a question of what you want the vehicle to do. If you want it to drive through the sand on the Outer Banks, or go remote 4 wheeling in Colorado, or slog down old logging roads in the back woods of Vermont and Pennsylvania (which my 4Runner has done), then get a 4Runner. The ground clearance, low range transfer case and body/frame construction will help in all of those endeavors.

If you want AWD for climbing hills when it snows, then buy a Highlander. (And please put snow tires on it so that you can stop when you come back down).

But if you're buying it for looks, well, you're still paying for everything that the 4Runner is. It's more expensive because it's built more expensively; with extra cooling, frame, bigger axles, skid plates and the like that cost money. It rides like a truck because it is a truck underneath. That comes at a much higher cost than a comparable crossover SUV, like the Highlander, or the Acura MDX, both of which are fine vehicles if you instead to stay on paved roads, as 99% of drivers do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
This is a REALLY good price. May need to drive to Arizona to purchase ours next week. Now I just need to find it in gray.

The question being is what does the state of Arizona expect before a non-resident can drive a car on to the pavement? Example-In California unless you ship the car with a CERTIFIED bill of lading and ship the vehicle it cannot be driven off the dealers lot unless the taxes are paid. So for me (assuming I am not shipping) I would have to pay Califrnia taxes and then again pay Utah taxes and license fee when I arrived in Utah. That pretty much negates any savings.

Just something to inquire about.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Didn't say the Limited was great. Not my idea to stick all that luxo stuff in an SUV, and the 20" wheels on the 4Runnef look silly.

But it is about $10K more...so the trim level is germane to the price discussion.
The GD Germans got nothing to do with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my family found out we were growing into a 3rd row vehicle, we looked at 4Runners. In 2013, if I remember correctly towing figures were lower for the 4Runners than the highlanders. 4700/5000??
Mt wife loved the 4runner till she drove the peppy car based highlander

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonC

??

Are you teasing me? It's hard to tell...

Or are you unfamiliar with the word?

Germane
adjective ger·mane

: relating to a subject in an appropriate way

Full Definition of germane
1. obsolete : closely akin
2. being at once relevant and appropriate : fitting

Last edited:
I think the Highlander is the far better choice for most people than the 4Runner.

But folks buy $600 expedition-quality GoreTex jackets to walk 50 feet from the parking lot into work, so, that logic applies to vehicles, I guess...buying for image over need...

??

Germane
adjective ger·mane

Buford-T.-Justice-and-Junior.png

Originally Posted By: dishdude

??

Germane
adjective ger·mane

Buford-T.-Justice-and-Junior.png

FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20" rubber? I'd want to see what tire replacement costs were. I know the bigger sizes aren't as bad as they used to be, but I still cringe at big expensive tires.

They're low profile 20" rubber...suitable for mall parking lots...and smooth roads...

P245/60R20 in size...they just look...silly...too small for the truck...like a matchbox car...

Not a lot of choice in that size, either.

OK, you'll have to explain the picture to me, because I've completely lost you...how does the screenshot of Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit have anything to do with anything?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What is the difference between the models nav and some cheap fake leather?

Those are 2wd trucks in the link which are un sell able up here, everything is 4wd and probably north of $40k new. Also dealers up here have full MSRP no haggle pricing on Toyota's because of the strong demand.

For that kind of coin the first owner got a great deal, I'd buy a new one.

Sorry, forgot to click the 4x4 box on the first search.

They're the same price here. $34k

LINK

I can't believe how cheap Japanese cars get when you get away from the coasts. My friend just bought a new Nissan Xterra in Nebraska where he is going to school, $8k less than the tri state area.

My guess is that out their domestic cars are in much greater demand.

OK, you'll have to explain the picture to me, because I've completely lost you...how does the screenshot of Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit have anything to do with anything?
When he was in pursuit and talking to the other Sheriff, he told him the fact that he was a Sheriff was not germane to the situation. To which Buford replied, "The GD Germans got nothing to do with this".

When he was in pursuit and talking to the other Sheriff, he told him the fact that he was a Sheriff was not germane to the situation. To which Buford replied, "The GD Germans got nothing to do with this".

Ah....I COMPLETELY missed that...which is too bad, because that's actually the perfect movie quote...

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Thank you for explaining.

Cheers,
Astro

What's so great about the "Limited"? People actually will spend $10k+ more for a built in GPS and a little fancier wheel? What a waste of money.

And they uglied up the front end so much it cant even be called handsome for the money. Yuck. My wife's 90-91 4runner (new 4dr body style, but the year with the little triangle windows in the front doors by the mirrors that open up to vent) looked good. Now the rest of the body looks about the same but the front... no thanks.

But it is likely the best real small truck suv out there. And thenew suburbans are ugly too...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What's so great about the "Limited"? People actually will spend $10k+ more for a built in GPS and a little fancier wheel? What a waste of money.

And they uglied up the front end so much it cant even be called handsome for the money. Yuck. My wife's 90-91 4runner (new 4dr body style, but the year with the little triangle windows in the front doors by the mirrors that open up to vent) looked good. Now the rest of the body looks about the same but the front... no thanks.

But it is likely the best real small truck suv out there. And thenew suburbans are ugly too...
I actually REALLY like the new styling of the 4Runner, at first I wasn't so sure but it has grown on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back