Selling a vehicle to someone out of state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have experience selling a vehicle to a buyer in another state?

The buyer is a few states away and is going to arrange to have USHIP pick up and deliver the vehicle.

I'm going to request payment as a bank check physically mailed to me, so not too worried on the payment side of things.

However, I've always done a bill of sale/title hand over to someone in person. In my state, the bill of sale is actually printed on the back of the Title of ownership.

I guess for that part, I would just fill out the relevant "seller" bits on the title/bill of sale, get it notarized, and then mail it to the buyer?

Here's a sample pic of the title/bill of sale:

car-donation-oklahoma-title-2008.jpg

I'd just fill the seller's part, get it notarized and throw it in the glove box of the car. And that's that.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd just fill the seller's part, get it notarized and throw it in the glove box of the car. And that's that.
+1

I just sold my VW in December to some guy who flew in from Montana to buy it, I notarized the title, handed it to him and away he went never to hear from him again.

He said he'd text me when he made it back to Montana, I never heard from him so maybe it broke down LOL.

I have just filled out the seller info and signed it in the past. But now I think I want the buyer to sign something saying the vehicle is his and he has taken ownership. You do not want the buyer getting into an accident before he registers it and tearing up the title you gave him and saying he was just trying out the vehicle and had not bought it yet.

In my case, since I am married to a lawyer, I would have her draft up something. The title you give buyer may have a section for the buyer to fill out and sign. If so have him do that and then give you a copy of both sides.

Last edited:
unless this a collector car its not worth the hassle of the ck being fake etc. you should require a wire transfer if you continue the transcation

Ditto the above, just get them to wire you the funds. Bank checks can be faked, can't really do that with a wire once you confirm the money is in your account. Costs a little bit more though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have just filled out the seller info and signed it in the past. But now I think I want the buyer to sign something saying the vehicle is his and he has taken ownership. You do not want the buyer getting into an accident before he registers it and tearing up the title you gave him and saying he was just trying out the vehicle and had not bought it yet.

That's a good idea. Email the document to him, and have him send it to you with the check. I'd include verbiage that once payment and that form is received the car will be shipped and the title sent.

And lawyerly wife '
thumbsup2.gif
for documents!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Ditto the above, just get them to wire you the funds. Bank checks can be faked, can't really do that with a wire once you confirm the money is in your account. Costs a little bit more though.

^^^ this....don't take a check...then release the vehicle once the funds clear. Get a signed bill of sale with ID.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Leo99
+1

I just sold my VW in December to some guy who flew in from Montana to buy it, I notarized the title, handed it to him and away he went never to hear from him again.

He said he'd text me when he made it back to Montana, I never heard from him so maybe it broke down LOL.

He's probably running drugs across the border with it. Now that hes got a fake ID with your name on it.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back