Oil suggestion for 2013 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestion(s) for oil for a 2013 Honda CR-V 4 cyl. engine. OM calls for a 0-20 weight oil. We recently purchased this car from a Honda dealer and after the first free oil change I will be changing the oil myself. The dealer recommends, and uses, a semi-synthetic oil for all of their fills. I would like to go to a full synthetic. I don't know if the 4 cyl. engines have any known history of not liking any / some oils so I'm looking for suggestions.
Current mileage is 45k and the car is driven easily on the highway and in town. Thanks in advance for your input.

I run Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 in my kids Honda CRV and Civic. Both are excellent.(5000 OCI) Note: your engine may consume a bit of oil when you switch in the first 2-3 fills. So pay attention. Also, the syn oil will do some cleaning and will be black at 5000. I use a Fram filter and change it every OCI.

BTW Hondas are not picky about oil.

Last edited:
A real good 0w20 synthetic is the Toyota brand.Not too expensive and obviously readily available.Anyways,it just gives you another option.I use the Amsoil SS myself but if you're not going for extended drain intervals it might be a waste of good money and good oil !

I have a 2003 Honda Element with a 2.4L engine and live in Massachusetts. My driving is 50/50 highway/city. I ran Exxon 5W20 dino for the first 25,000 miles which was rumored to be what Honda oil was at the time. I also have used Chevron, Havoline, Motorcraft Semi-synthetic all 5W20 at 5-8K mile intervals. Basically, I changed the oil at 6 month intervals.
Oil changes basically cost me $10 filter included. Those were the days.

I had the opportunity to look at the cam lobes and check how clean the engine looked when the valves were adjusted. (I recommend you do this at 75-100K. Exhaust valves can run tight and you won't hear it.) Really pretty amazing how clean everything looked. No wear on the cam lobes, no sludge or varnish anywhere. These engines are very easy on oil. Currently, I am running 3+ quarts Chevron 5W-20 and a quart of Mobile SYN 5W-20. At 7K mile oil changes I burn no oil.

Personally I don't think synthetic is necessary unless you want to run extended OCI's of 10-15K miles. I spend the money I would have used on synthetic oil to change the brake fluid ever other year, the manual transmission fluid at 30K miles, the clutch fluid and power steering fluid every 50K miles or 3 years.

If you prefer to run synthetic, Pennzoil or Mobile 1 synthetic at 10K intervals with a good oil filter would be great. Lot's of people follow this routine in the used oil section with great results.

Here are some photos of a Honda with the valve cover removed at 168K miles running semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil. I think Honda oil was Mobil-Exxon in the early to mid 2000's. I think their semi-synthetic is now Conoco-Phillips, the same as Motorcraft.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2682604/1

My results look similar in a 2004 Honda 2.4L, an earlier version of your motor. I wish I had taken photos.

As a previous poster stated Honda's (in good mechanical function) are not fussy about oils.

Run any SM, SN oil, 0W-20, 5w-20, 5W-30 dino, semi-synthetic, synthetic with confidence. If you run extended OCI's on a synthetic to 10K or so use an extended mileage oil filter. Maybe you can change a regular oil filter at 5K.

Costco has pretty regular sales on Mobil 1 0W20 for $4 and change per quart. Pretty good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back