Ford Focus Electric - Wow! - Anybody Else Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Some bad news though: How much C02 does the Focus Electric make vs. a gasoline Focus 1.0L Ecoboost? Good news for gasoline users, bad news for me. Focus Electric causes 24 lbs of C02 per 32 miles of driving, while a gasoline Focus 1.0L Ecoboost causes 20 lbs of C02[/b}

I'll applaud you for making the effort to calculate that, and posting it despite the outcome being less than ideal. Even if it's not favorable now, it will be in the future.
I wish the efocus was available here, esp since we have 75% renewable.

^^^^^^^^ Cujet, the Ford Focus Electric doesn't have everything low to the ground, spread out like Tesla does. A low CG is really a great way to go. Reminds of what GM was thinking about doing 14 years ago with the "Skateboard" modular concept. (They never did it.)
skateboard_dia.jpg

Makes sense to do that. You can manufacture that common module, and put about any top structure you want on it, only changing the control arms thickness and mounts, springs, dampers, to adjust for different upper-body types/weights.

I'm assuming Tesla is using it's standard rolling chassis "skateboard" parts on the upcoming Tesla Model X AWD SUV, like the old GM HyWire skateboard chassis.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
I'll applaud you for making the effort to calculate that, and posting it despite the outcome being less than ideal. Even if it's not favorable now, it will be in the future.
I wish the efocus was available here, esp since we have 75% renewable.

Thanks. There are about 23% energy losses from the output wire at the power plant to the input wire to the Focus Electric motor (output of battery), from cross-country power line & battery charging I2R-style losses (heat).

For city stop-n-go driving, the Electric car wins on smallest C02 footprint, and about even or slightly worse with the 1.0L Ecoboost Focus on highway travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back