Hot Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cutter
After a comprehensive search for a hot sauce that has the same flavor profile of a louisiana cayenne/vinegar sauce such as Franks, Texas Pete, Louisiana, Crystal etc, but at a much higher heat level (50k scoville or higher). I finally found it in Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper.

Namely I've been looking for something to make an ultra hot buffalo wing sauce that is true to the buffalo wing sauce flavor. Prior to that, I've tried straight capsaicin extract, but that has a very distinct taste to it and shows up in the sauce. Other ultra hots vary wildly in flavoring.

http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Pepper-Company-Ghost-Jolokia/dp/B0070XYM1I

Check yourself if you get too crazy with the ultra-hots. I know ghost peppers can range in SHU depending on where they're grown...but 500K SHU is still mighty hot. Hot enough to create esophageal issues for some folks...and it doesn't take much. A friend of mind thought he had the iron esophagus and stomach lining until he was diagnosed with esophageal erosion issues related to his consumption of hot peppers and ultra-hot sauce. Don't want to be the wet blanket but it's something to be aware of....

Originally Posted By: hatt
]Wow. How much do you use in the sauce? That stuff is insanely hot if it's 500,000. I ate some wings coated in Dave's Insanity which is like 50K on a bet years ago. It was not pleasant.
Agreed. Fatalii Peppers are insane. Ghosts are beyond that.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Least favorite is the lime Cholula, its gross. Just haven't gotten around to throwing it away yet.

X2. I have a mostly full bottle of the Cholula Chili & Lime too. I was really surprised at how much I didn't like it. I figured lime + hot sauce was guaranteed to be awesome, but I don't like this stuff at all. It's weird...like a runny enchilada sauce with a hint of lime flavoring.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Tapatío is a basic hot sauce you can find just about anywhere that is pretty good. It is more or less an American made version of Valentina sauce.

Loved it when I was in CA. Can't find it here. Frank's is what I use along with the really hot stuff like
Daves Private Reserve
Megasoreass
Three brothers habenaro garlic salsa
Pepper Palace death by salsa

Ordered from Amazon

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Least favorite is the lime Cholula, its gross. Just haven't gotten around to throwing it away yet.

X2. I have a mostly full bottle of the Cholula Chili & Lime too. I was really surprised at how much I didn't like it. I figured lime + hot sauce was guaranteed to be awesome, but I don't like this stuff at all. It's weird...like a runny enchilada sauce with a hint of lime flavoring.

Funny thing I hated the Cholula Lime at first, but now it is my go to on salads. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Funny thing I hated the Cholula Lime at first, but now it is my go to on salads. Go figure.

I can see it working on certain things. Next time I have a salad I'll give it a try. It's just not an all purpose type of hot sauce.

Someone brought in some private label hot sauces at work. They aren't very good individually, but mixing them together is pretty good. I like mixing up the chipotle and the one called "Firehouse," which I think is cayenne/some kind of regular chili and too much vinegar.

Two favorites
Liquid Stoopid &
Dumb A$$ Sauce currently what I'm eating now great on hard boiled eggs.
Both sauce are not for the beginner they are xxx sauces I just love the heat and flavor of the two.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread I was recently introduced to Frankie V's Spooky White Hot Sauce. Stuff is excellent.

Another thing I've recently discovered is salt infused with Ghost and Habanero pepper. Awesome stuff.

I had no idea there were so many different types of hot sauce. I also learned that there are groups using different types of peppers. I like my present FRANKS ORIGIONAL for flavor but, would like to try something just a bit hotter but, same flavor if possible. Ed

I am a Franks sauce fan
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I had no idea there were so many different types of hot sauce. I also learned that there are groups using different types of peppers. I like my present FRANKS ORIGIONAL for flavor but, would like to try something just a bit hotter but, same flavor if possible. Ed

There is a Frank's Xtra Hot, but I have never tried it or even seen it.
The Frank's website claims that it has 4X the heat of the original, but I have no idea what that actually means as far as what it feels like in your mouth!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Eddie

There is a Frank's Xtra Hot, but I have never tried it or even seen it.
The Frank's website claims that it has 4X the heat of the original, but I have no idea what that actually means as far as what it feels like in your mouth!

Frank's Extra Hot has about the same heat as regular Tabasco. I like Frank's regular and for something hotter and easy to get, Crystal. Tabasco is good for heat, but lacks flavor. I'll grab some Frank's Extra Hot if I see it on the shelf.

Here's a list of sauces and their heat levels. Scroll to the bottom to get to Frank's, Tabasco, and Crystal.

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale/

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Frank's Extra Hot has about the same heat as regular Tabasco. I like Frank's regular and for something hotter and easy to get, Crystal. Tabasco is good for heat, but lacks flavor. I'll grab some Frank's Extra Hot if I see it on the shelf.

Here's a list of sauces and their heat levels. Scroll to the bottom to get to Frank's, Tabasco, and Crystal.

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale/

Ed

Great list, thank you!
I think that it was a Tien Tsin pepper that I ate by accident a long time ago and ended up getting sorta stuck near my throat. I immediately felt distressed and started hiccuping violently...one of my lunchmates told me to cut it out because it was embarrassing for him to be seen with me like that. I have a much greater tolerance for heat now, but I'd bet I'd still have a hard time with that.

Around the same time, a coworker played a nasty trick on a mutual friend that taught me a lesson. We were at a Tex-Mex place in Dallas that had little jars of jalapenos on the tables. This guy took one and spent a few minutes picking the seeds out under the table...then he turned to our friend and said, "Bet YOU can't do this!!", before popping it in his mouth.
The guy who had been challenged promptly grabbed a pepper from the jar and ate it, then grabbed his throat and started sweating. It wasn't quite as bad as Mentalino eating the killer pepper in "Dumb & Dumber", but this guy was not feeling well. The trickster felt really bad and grabbed a sugar pack, telling our friend to pour it on his tongue and let it dissolve in his mouth...it really worked, he felt better pretty quickly and did not even punch the funny guy in the face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back