Ford announces new assembly plant in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be fine with it as long as all the vehicles made at that plant only sold in Mexico. Also I think the CEO should be forced to denounce his citizenship and live in Tijuana and drink tainted water for the rest of his life.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The consumer will continue to take it in the neck, just like always. Once I pay for all of the increased union demands, and the increased government demands....

Hey Trav and mrsilv04, do you know that we have some new 2nd tier GM employees that can qualify for federal assistance? The new hires get paid less, no pension, and greatly reduced benefits. I think you should actually come into a plant and see what is going on before you make [censored] remarks like this. The UAW is not the one you should be unhappy with.

Federal assistance? Oh come on. Get on planet earth. Then I guess every retail employee get federal assistance then?

OK, Maybe I should have explained a little bit better these people are more like tier 3 employees. Our plant just put up a new operation and building called the LOC. With Michigan, now being a right to work state GM got to hire these new employees as non union workers. Everyone came in at Walmart wages and ZERO benefits. Since then they have voted unanimously to become UAW workers. They are currently working on a contract and living wage for them. I find it interesting how the right to work laws passed have really become the right to work for less laws.

"Autoworkers in 2013 earned $8.24 an hour on average in Mexico, compared with $37.62 in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research."

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The consumer will continue to take it in the neck, just like always. Once I pay for all of the increased union demands, and the increased government demands....

Hey Trav and mrsilv04, do you know that we have some new 2nd tier GM employees that can qualify for federal assistance? The new hires get paid less, no pension, and greatly reduced benefits. I think you should actually come into a plant and see what is going on before you make [censored] remarks like this. The UAW is not the one you should be unhappy with.

Federal assistance? Oh come on. Get on planet earth. Then I guess every retail employee get federal assistance then?

OK, Maybe I should have explained a little bit better these people are more like tier 3 employees. Our plant just put up a new operation and building called the LOC. With Michigan, now being a right to work state GM got to hire these new employees as non union workers. Everyone came in at Walmart wages and ZERO benefits. Since then they have voted unanimously to become UAW workers. They are currently working on a contract and living wage for them. I find it interesting how the right to work laws passed have really become the right to work for less laws.

well whats the alternative? Go bankrupt and expect the taxpayers to bail you out every time the economy takes a tumble? The rest of us in America do not get those protections...why should the UAW? I got news for you, in the 1960's you were special...you not anymore. I can get an equal car from probably 20 different manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Honda's workers are not in union. When I toured the Marysville plant they all seemed upbeat and friendly. Kind of cool seeing the operation. Same way with the Camry plant in KY. No union workers and they start out making $23/hour as of a few years ago. They don't seem to work them to death and treat them decent in a clean environment which goes a long way with most people.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Danh
It's a curious thing: Honda seems able to make an Accord profitably with a US assembly plant and 70-80% US/Canadian parts content. Yet the equivalent Ford Fusion has to be assembled in Mexico with 25% or so US/Canadian parts to make financial sense.

Maybe you missed this earlier comment...
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...

Which one is correct ? $9/hr or $23/hr ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Honda's workers are not in union. When I toured the Marysville plant they all seemed upbeat and friendly. Kind of cool seeing the operation. Same way with the Camry plant in KY. No union workers and they start out making $23/hour as of a few years ago. They don't seem to work them to death and treat them decent in a clean environment which goes a long way with most people.
It's a curious thing: Honda seems able to make an Accord profitably with a US assembly plant and 70-80% US/Canadian parts content. Yet the equivalent Ford Fusion has to be assembled in Mexico with 25% or so US/Canadian parts to make financial sense.

Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...

Which one is correct ? $9/hr or $23/hr ?

depend upon your persuavion....

And the number of US jobs assembling the 2018 Focus will be...? In any event, Honda's US workforce is much,much more than temp services.

The property tax issue is not unique to foreign automakers; states compete with one another for domestic companies, too. This is a government failure that any company will take advantage of. If Honda says it's ready to leave, Ohio should call its bluff: Honda has invested 35 years building a nearby supplier base that would take decades to replace.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
"Autoworkers in 2013 earned $8.24 an hour on average in Mexico, compared with $37.62 in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research."

Um, I don't make anywhere near $37.62 per hour. Even Skilled Trades don't make that much. That is way Way WAY out of the ball park

Um, I don't make anywhere near $37.62 per hour. Even Skilled Trades don't make that much. That is way Way WAY out of the ball park

Wonder if they are pricing in the cost of benefits. ????

Wonder if they are pricing in the cost of benefits. ????

Why don't you call up this so called center for automotive research and try to confirm it. I'll bet they only have a web address.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
NAFTA. If it did not exist Ford would be building plants in Southern states. Thanks Washington.

The thing is that NAFTA along with GATT, and other related agreements are NOT legally binding according to our own Constitution.
In fact those agreements are UNconstitutional.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
NAFTA. If it did not exist Ford would be building plants in Southern states. Thanks Washington.

no more likely China

It's not just the Ford plant but also the suppliers of components. They have relocated to be near the plants. The US got all the negatives of the trade deals and none of the positives. Meanwhile in corrupt Washington another trade deal has just been signed.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Unions benefit all working Americans. Look at the fall of the middle class, it parallels the fall in union membership. Also look to the south where unions were never strong, they always had poor economic environments.

don't say that -- the union/big 3 haters will rag on you now.
I love these hater threads, because it exposes the haters' ignorance, and their ignorance is comical.

when these good paying jobs disappear, the govn't will have lost massive amounts of tax revenue. the rest of those employed will have to make up for this lost revenue. the union haters will be first to cry foul, when their taxes increase.they will blame the unions for that, as well.

a lot of it is jealousy. if I don't make a good wage/have a pension/have good benefits, no one else should.

one poster cherry picked a wage number, which another said was wrong (paraphrase).this might be from the same article, in Saturday's local paper.in '19, gm's lobor cost will be $2,350/ vehicle.ford, 2,600, and fca, 2,500.not a lot of money, relative to the cost of the car.so, pick which numbers that will fortify the hatred argument.

the point is, that the labor cost will ALWAYS be too high -- even if it was half of the above numbers.the profit is NEVER high enough.yet, the co.'s will never pass on savings from low labor cost areas. hence, the term -- race to the bottom.

the companies love the union haters, and the controversy that they start. it draws away attention from their own screw-ups/problems.

a couple of years back, the Chinese companies were crying that labor costs were becoming too high, and would start making products in lower wage countries.i'm not aware of any unions to blame for that.

keep up the hating posts, as they are hilarious. have a good day/night, all.
to clarify, I'm not a union employee, or fanboy of any make of car.i just view things objectively, and without wearing blinders.

we need to hear from 'prone, and engineer20.i'm sure that their opinions would be welcome.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
1926, Ford Motor Company becomes one of the first companies in America to adopt a five-day, 40-hour week for workers in its automotive factories. The policy would be extended to Ford’s office workers the following August.

Henry Ford’s Detroit-based automobile company had broken ground in its labor policies before. In early 1914, against a backdrop of widespread unemployment and increasing labor unrest, Ford announced that it would pay its male factory workers a minimum wage of $5 per eight-hour day, upped from a previous rate of $2.34 for nine hours (the policy was adopted for female workers in 1916). The news shocked many in the industry–at the time, $5 per day was nearly double what the average auto worker made–but turned out to be a stroke of brilliance,

Nothing about any union.

Not many people remember how agrarian our country was back then, and that the average person worked on a farm. People toiled all day, sometimes seven days a week, to make a living. To some, manufacturing was an escape from the hard work of the farm, and one would only work nine hours a day, six days a week, and make good money.

Interesting point, never thought about that one.

Due to trade agreements over the past 20 plus years the US has lost millions of good paying manufacturing jobs while running up over a trillion dollars in trade deficits.
Thanks Washington

And when you have cars built for $5 per hour wages you would think that the price of the car would go down. What we are seeing is a race to the bottom, no one will be happy until everyone gets paid Walmart wages.

Exactly. This is just another hit at the middle class and the desire to now suck their money. The lower income levels have already been sucked dry. Besides Ford, Carrier announced that they are moving manufacturing of their A/C products to Mexico while eliminating 1400 jobs here in the states.

Makes no sense in the end other than greed. A vibrant middle class means a good strong economy and high consumer confidence. Both are good for business. Yet, it seems as though big business doesn't get it or just doesn't care.

As mentioned labor is a convenient boogie man just like commies were in the 50's. While everyone turns their head to look at labor, behind their backs they are missing the real shenanigans. Distract and then profit.

Last edited:
The Union issue is just a side show. There are plenty of states such as Texas or SC where that's not a factor. The number one issue is the trade agreements that Washington has saddled the American people with. Remember there is no such thing as free trade. Washington gave away what ever it had too to get NAFTA in place. Heavily biased towards the American worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back