Oil/filter recommendation for short trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
My vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma with the 1GR-FE V6 and 20k miles.

My commute involves short 4 to 5 miles trips with cold start each time. Truck get 10k miles/year.
Since I live in an mountainous area, the truck starts cold up a hill every day.
Truck is loaded with 500 lbs of gear in the back.
Outside temperature is 40-ish winter, 80-ish summer.
Summer driving involves towing a 3,000lb trailer on occasions.

Current OCI is 5k miles on Mobil 1 5W30 and Toyota YZZD3 OEM filter.

Can I do better?

I read the awesome Motor Oil University 101 on this site which states low temp viscosity varies tremendously between 0W and 5W and that 90% of wear occures when engine is cold.

Would 0W20 provide better cold protection based on my usage pattern, since the truck is doing short trips?

Last edited:
What does your owner's manual call for oil viscosity and change interval.

If 5w-30 is the spec Mobil states that 0w-30 is a good substitute that can give a little better start up protection in cold weather. It's still the correct 30 weight viscosity. The same is true of using 0w-20 if the spec calls for 5w-20.

Going to a heavier viscosity than spec'd is not necessary even with towing.

If you're using Mobil 1 there's no need to do anything other than follow directions. Mobil 1 is a very good engine oil and is certainly up to the task including short trips and towing without running a shorter than spec'd oil change interval.

The only thing I would add is that if you're short tripping a lot you might consider a longer drive very couple of weeks to get all the fluids up to operating temperatures. A 30 minute drive should more than do the trick.

`Motor oil university is mostly non factual opinion. Disregard it. Use what ever the recommended oil ratings with name brand oils and name brand filters. The oem filters will do the job. Oil is pretty much oil these days.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What does your owner's manual call for oil viscosity and change interval.

5k/6mo on 5W30

I wouldn't use 0w20 but you can use 0w30 if you want. I'll recommend a Fram Tough Guard oil filter which has a much higher efficiency that oem although we don't know the exact figures anymore the TG is 99% @20 microns which is at the top of blended media filters.

Short trips, the extra weight, towing, hills. Mobil 1 5W-30, OEM filter and a 5K OCI seem fine IMO.

Wherever you live, better cold protection isn't a big issue with a 40-ish winter.

Keep a 30 weight in there.

40 degrees is not cold at all for oil, a 5w30 would be perfect. I'd run a synthetic blend oil for 5,000 miles, change 2X a year.

I would agree with those above, stick with a 30 weight, and at 40F, you're not talking about temps that matter too much. If you're looking for a change, I'd go with the 0W30 for the warm and fuzzies.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't use 0w20 but you can use 0w30 if you want. I'll recommend a Fram Tough Guard oil filter which has a much higher efficiency that oem although we don't know the exact figures anymore the TG is 99% @20 microns which is at the top of blended media filters.

A few years ago I read Fram were at the bottom of the barrel but I realize things change over time. I'll have to look into the TG. Is it as good as the PureOne?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
A few years ago I read Fram were at the bottom of the barrel but I realize things change over time. I'll have to look into the TG. Is it as good as the PureOne?

Yep seems like Fram TG and Ultras are the most popular choices on BITOG now. Since the Ultra is rated to 15,000 miles, you could also consider running an Ultra for two OCIs so you can get the higher filtration efficacy without having to pay more (1 Ultra vs. 2 TGs/whatever else).

Hi all,
My vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma with the 1GR-FE V6 and 20k miles.

My commute involves short 4 to 5 miles trips with cold start each time. Truck get 10k miles/year.
Since I live in an mountainous area, the truck starts cold up a hill every day.
Truck is loaded with 500 lbs of gear in the back.
Outside temperature is 40-ish winter, 80-ish summer.
Summer driving involves towing a 3,000lb trailer on occasions.

Current OCI is 5k miles on Mobil 1 5W30 and Toyota YZZD3 OEM filter.

Can I do better?

I read the awesome Motor Oil University 101 on this site which states low temp viscosity varies tremendously between 0W and 5W and that 90% of wear occures when engine is cold.

Would 0W20 provide better cold protection based on my usage pattern, since the truck is doing short trips?

These driving conditions are an excellent case for oil temperature gauge. If you have OTG(Oil Temperature Gauge) and it shows somewhere below 180-190F at the end of your trips then you can safely use xW20, if temperature is above 190-200F then stay with xW30.

The tough guards are much better than the PureOne. I wouldn't use any of the old stock yellow painted PureOnes as they exhibited a very high failure rate in the form of media tears near the seam due to high angle pleat spacing.

Purolator just revamped their lineup and their top of the line boss synthetic filter is 99% efficient @ 32 microns compared to the Fram Ultra which is 99.9% @20 microns that's no contest if you ask me.

I am also one of the people who run Ultras for multi changes and just change the oil, sometimes 2-3 oci depending on my mileage.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The tough guards are much better than the PureOne. I wouldn't use any of the old stock yellow painted PureOnes as they exhibited a very high failure rate in the form of media tears near the seam due to high angle pleat spacing.

Purolator just revamped their lineup and their top of the line boss synthetic filter is 99% efficient @ 32 microns compared to the Fram Ultra which is 99.9% @20 microns that's no contest if you ask me.

I am also one of the people who run Ultras for multi changes and just change the oil, sometimes 2-3 oci depending on my mileage.

Thanks. Do you know of an oversize Ultra for the 1GR-FE engine?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

These driving conditions are an excellent case for oil temperature gauge. If you have OTG(Oil Temperature Gauge) and it shows somewhere below 180-190F at the end of your trips then you can safely use xW20, if temperature is above 190-200F then stay with xW30.

Rather than a gauge would an OBD2 bluetooth reader give me a read on temperature?

Im on board with the 0w30 crowd....fram ultra/tg,car quest,wix, all good filters

Last edited:
Do you know of an oversize Ultra for the 1GR-FE engine?

Seems Fram Ultra XG3600 is it.

3600's are about as big as can be fitted to many engines (mine included). But any gain in media area translates into increased flow cold and more filtration as time passes
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back