Cooper CS5 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is possible, but I doubt it.

The recommend wheel width for 226/60-16 is usually 7" and 7.5" for 225/55-16. So the 226/60-16 tire can be on a half inches wider wheel and it may be the reason that the much under inflated tire came off the wheel quickly, but I think more likely the tire doesn't adequately stiff sidewall that why it didn't stay on the wheel for long.

Few years ago I had a flat rear tire on my S2000, I didn't have spare tire on the car so I drove it home slowly for a distance of around 4-5 miles. The tire stayed on the wheel the whole distance, totally destroyed but the wheel didn't suffer any damage. That tire was Falken FK452.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Everything is possible, but I doubt it.

The recommend wheel width for 226/60-16 is usually 7" and 7.5" for 225/55-16. So the 226/60-16 tire can be on a half inches wider wheel and it may be the reason that the much under inflated tire came off the wheel quickly, but I think more likely the tire doesn't adequately stiff sidewall that why it didn't stay on the wheel for long.

Few years ago I had a flat rear tire on my S2000, I didn't have spare tire on the car so I drove it home slowly for a distance of around 4-5 miles. The tire stayed on the wheel the whole distance, totally destroyed but the wheel didn't suffer any damage. That tire was Falken FK452.

same story but that tire was Cooper S3. What are the best deals out there now that the new year is upon us? Tires are a RIP OFF of EPIC proportions!! Looking for a current deal I can pricematch with.

Last edited:
Have a H-rated set on a '03 CR-V with 20K miles so far and there was certainly a MPG hit that hasn't fully gone away. However, the tires have great grip due to the rubber having a bit more flex than comparable tires. I'll gladly trade sure footing for a small loss in MPG.

Bought CS5 Ultra Touring tires 235/60/18 for my Odyssey from DTD and yesterday got it mounted by America's Tires. Tires including certificates cost me $557 and installation at $77.05. This also included $40 rebate from DTD.

Overall I had very pleasant experience from DTD & America's Tire. They took only 30 mins to mount the new ones.

Initial impressions of the tire are good. I haven't driven much but the tires give smooth ride and do pretty good job on bumpy roads. I did not find them to be super silent but the road noise is similar to the previous Michelin MXV4. The steering has become lighter too.

The Michelin MXV4 were also pretty good and the factory originals lasted ~44K. I like Michelins and have nothing against them. The only reason I went for Cooper is because the reviews are very good and the price is very competitive.

I will provide timely update on how the tires perform.

I liked the cs5 grand touring tires on our caravan so much I put cs5 ultras on my wife's camry. I also recommended them to my mother in law for her grand marquis (grand tourings). I don't like them so much on the camry. The sidewalls seem to roll more than the factory toyos.

I noticed this in the new tires. Is this something to worry about? The tires have run less than 50 miles.

4yS3FK

Looks like some excess rubber from the molding process. Wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you trim it off carefully with a sharp knife or razor flush with the tire.

its normal mold flashing. it will wear off shortly.. if it bothers you trim very carefully with sharp knife.

For those with the CS5 Ultra (W-rated) tires, what is the COO/where were they manufactured?

I just got a blowout and need a new set of tires to replace my BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S. I'm contemplating some CS5's or RS3-A's.

I've had good experience with Cooper tires, but from what I've read and seen, Coopers has moved most production overseas.

Originally Posted By: Rylan
For those with the CS5 Ultra (W-rated) tires, what is the COO/where were they manufactured?

I just got a blowout and need a new set of tires to replace my BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S. I'm contemplating some CS5's or RS3-A's.

I've had good experience with Cooper tires, but from what I've read and seen, Coopers has moved most production overseas.

They have not moved "most production" overseas. Some of their tires are made overseas, but Cooper makes a lot of tires in the U.S.

Every CS5 I've ever seen has been made in the USA. If you contact them with the exact tire and size you want they can probably tell you.
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312355/cooper-debuts-cs5-touring-tires
Quote:
The tires are produced at the company’s Tupelo, Miss., manufacturing plant

Here's a list of all their plants. They have four in the U.S. and four overseas.
http://coopertire.com/About/Facilities/Manufacturing-Facilities.aspx

Thank you for the reply. I had to ask because Discount Tire didn't have the CS5's in stock, nor does their computers list where these (or any) tires are produced.

I will be going with a set of the CS5 Ultra Touring tires. Got them price-matched at $94 each and also qualify for Cooper's $75 mail-in rebate.

I will be going with a set of the CS5 Ultra Touring tires. Got them price-matched at $94 each and also qualify for Cooper's $75 mail-in rebate.

Where did you find about the $75 mail-in rebate? I just bought CS5 but couldn't find the rebate. If you have the link, please share.

Originally Posted By: josejoseph

Where did you find about the $75 mail-in rebate? I just bought CS5 but couldn't find the rebate. If you have the link, please share.

Ah yes, I apologize for my mistake. This deal is dead (expired 11-30-15). Actually, Discount Tire here near me had a rebate card on a desk with all other tire info pamphlets, some already being expired.

I ended up getting only a pair of the CS5 Ultra's, as I had good (5/32") tread left on a front axle pair of BF Goodrich I decided to keep and save some cash.

The two I replaced were both slightly pro-rated via the blowout on one at 4/32", and what we called an "unrepairable tire plug" on one at 5/32" from a previous nail repair (which actually holds air fine; I'm keeping as a spare tire).
I will update in a bit with my opinion on these tires.

Might be difficult to give a proper tire review with only half of your vehicle fitted with them!

Originally Posted By: josejoseph

Ah yes, I apologize for my mistake. This deal is dead (expired 11-30-15). Actually, Discount Tire here near me had a rebate card on a desk with all other tire info pamphlets, some already being expired.

FYI - DTD now has $75 rebate on CS5 tires. I was able to talk to DTD agent and avail the rebate even though there was none when I did the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back