M1 5w30 HM / 5512 Miles / Turbo with Towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car does a lot of sitting, often for weeks at a time. This sample includes 1200 miles of towing at highway speeds, some of that in mountainous terrain. Many of you may not find the vehicle that interesting, but the combination of a turbocharged engine and towing should prove useful the the broader audience. Note that this is a light pressure turbo, not the Volvo T5.

01-V70XC-013116.jpg

Given your use during the time in service, I think the oil (and your engine) did very well.

No make-up oil added is also good, given the nature of the PCV system on this car, particularly under boost as you would have been while towing.

The viscosity is still within spec, despite just a bit of oil dilution, so I would just stick with what works for your next change.

Cheers,
Astro

Interesting report, thanks for contributing Astro. Between the 0 make-up oil and the good wear numbers, it looks like this car is doing great with nearly 200k miles on it! I am a bit puzzled by the low flash point though. If you had an abnormal amount of fuel in the oil it could be an explanation, but with only a trace I don't know what the reason is. I'm surprised blackstone didn't comment on it.

Originally Posted By: nicrfe1370
Interesting report, thanks for contributing Astro. Between the 0 make-up oil and the good wear numbers, it looks like this car is doing great with nearly 200k miles on it! I am a bit puzzled by the low flash point though. If you had an abnormal amount of fuel in the oil it could be an explanation, but with only a trace I don't know what the reason is. I'm surprised blackstone didn't comment on it.

Blackstone calculates fuel from the flashpoint, so they did, just not directly. Every 20F below the "should be" flashpoint is 1% fuel. Don't ask where the "should be" number comes from. Ive seen from 355F at a low to over 400F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back