Pops-a-vent fuel can vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drill a half inch hole in your existing plastic cans in a spot that suits you then put a tire valve stem in the hole with the valve core removed . works perfect . About every two years you will need to replace the valve stem because the fuel seems to make them get soft ..most tire shops will sell you stems way cheaper than you can buy them at the parts store or Walmart .

Great idea about the valve stem. I believe there are also metal valve stems that would only have a gasket to go bad, and could be replaced with a gas resistant gasket.

Just buy the regular yellow vents on ebay or amazon and install them on the new cans. Then buy the regular nozzles (called EZ-Pour, I believe) at Rural King or Menards. That way, what is new can be old again.

I have seen the metal stems but I think you have to screw them together maybe . The rubber ones just pull thru once you get them fished thru the fill hole to the location you drilled the hole . I run a piece of bailing wire through the stem with the core removed , then once I get the wire out the half inch hole I can finish pulling the stem in with one of those t handle stem tools

Originally Posted By: 1989outlaw
Drill a half inch hole in your existing plastic cans in a spot that suits you then put a tire valve stem in the hole with the valve core removed . works perfect . About every two years you will need to replace the valve stem because the fuel seems to make them get soft ..most tire shops will sell you stems way cheaper than you can buy them at the parts store or Walmart .

Use a step drill to drill any plastic. Step drills leave a nice clean hole with clean edges.

Much complaining I do not under stand.

I have new cans and like it.

Invert with the spout closed.

Release lock, press lightly on spout to move the valve, it opens.

pull up to close.

Easy. No spill

even on the weedeater, there you do need to be fast.

Rod

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The ones I have dont vent well at all. *GLUGsluurpGLUGsluurpGLUG*

And you end up spilling more on the ground ...

Plug the hole with your thumb until youre ready to pour.

What hole? The EPA cans don'th ave any sort of vent.

I put a couple of the Gold Plugs in my gas cans and the plugs work as advertised, but there is still the issue of the spring loaded spout on the can making it harder to pour gas out of the can.

I hate those stupid EPA cans.

They work fine for a year or two, but the seals in the spouts get damaged from repeated use and exposure to the ethanol fuel. Then they leak everywhere when trying to pour fuel out or the ones with the spout that pushes down toward the can won't open at all.

I was able to find an older style spout on eBay with the same threads for my EPA cans and found some older plastic cans at a tag sale.

Remember if your keeping gas in an attached garage it should be in a metal safety gas can with a screen inside to act as a flame arrestor.

I am the first one to say the new EPA gas cans suck. I have a few but they stay in my barn or outside. Only a metal one is inside my attached garage.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Much complaining I do not under stand.

I have new cans and like it.

Invert with the spout closed.

Release lock, press lightly on spout to move the valve, it opens.

pull up to close.

Easy. No spill

even on the weedeater, there you do need to be fast.

Rod

There are a few styles of EPA gas cans. While they all suck, some suck less than others. Maybe yours is one that only sucks a little.

I bought about 15 old five gallon gas cans from a guy a few years ago for three dollars apiece. He bought them to siphon old/bad gas from his very large boat one time, and used them to transpor the fuel to a dump place. They have the "bendy, rippled, plastic nozzles on them and a real live vent. Enough to last the rest of my life.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: KingCake
All my gas cans already have vents with seal caps?

The current EPA mandated cans cannot have vents.

The vents are built into the nozzle now.

And work like ****.
I bought two of the new cans and they take so long to empty I threw them away.

I drill a hole and stick a golf tee in it. Practically free at $0.50 for a bag of em. Just pull the tee out and fill up then put it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back