Disappointed with Accord after one Salt Exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the car up on a lift every night and spray the underside down with a garden hose.

UT8CmrDXXtbXXagOFbX3.jpg

I think you have a reason to be annoyed...my jobber rotors look cleaner that that and are older..and mine see alot of salt/snow/humidity and other temp swings. Hopefully Honda isnt making further cuts in quality, they have some nice vehicles.

Quote:
Just one big snow, and the car has only been exposed to salt once.

What do you mean "once", you drove once down a treated highway, or once as you drove multiple times down treated roads.

This blizzard you had was predicted to be really bad, the laid down the salt like crazy. Looks like you drove 100+ miles down a treated road, and didn't wash car afterwards.

Not even my Versa Note looks that bad, it is rusty, and I even drove behind a salt truck for three miles, just be sure to wash it once it warms up some!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We have had a warm winter. Just one big snow, and the car has only been exposed to salt once. I even oil sprayed the underside prior to first salt exposure. Imagine my disappointment when I saw this:

Salt and corrosion in the lug nuts:

039257D9-A7D3-4FD9-91B1-8AE9E79DA33A_zpslsp8ah8r.jpg

Discoloration on the OE wheel locks:

81BC8E9F-262C-45B3-80A9-BDD7715386D4_zpscd45v3dv.jpg

White corrosion products firmly on the lug bolt threads:

07216DEF-7432-4326-B45A-A821EF2C5D95_zpsd3sjkh0t.jpg

Spalling and corrosion on the transmission case:

4B45128A-C03A-4F3A-B0C3-AC1E49D547EC_zpsvy2w5hwi.jpg

Rust on other parts that weren't properly painted/protected:

B8606100-B70A-43B2-B31A-37A24C801F71_zpsucu8qbu7.jpg

D8096CD3-D646-4CF0-A48E-4D45FFC7D8CB_zps0xbh3rgc.jpg

The oil spray coating (Carwell CP90) can be seen on the metal surfaces despite wash and water:

3259AA97-A622-49D7-8191-74D958C34CC9_zpsngr0aygt.jpg

I was very much surprised by the amount of rust at the hub lip on the rotor. Because of this, I decided to coat the mating surface in a marine-grade anti-seize, but none on the lug bolts despite the corrosion...

485CDBC3-0965-4EA7-9583-DAC95E40DA43_zpsyvkifbib.jpg

15DFFDCE-AC65-4954-B526-40F8D404CDF5_zpsmmiui4la.jpg

3E28754A-82AE-4B05-A6A6-6028180DBAFC_zpsv87zl1zl.jpg

532A83C9-39EC-4C3E-BEAD-4777746ECBA8_zpsa0f69lr3.jpg

Ive said before, especially when we owned our acura, that Honda makes great engines and cars that work really well, but their materials selections are often poor. Maybe Im being overly picky, but I am somewhat disappointed with this, given that the car has seen exactly one snow and one salt exposure.

Thoughts?

If you have this much OCD I'd garage your car and only drive on sunny days. You have to be joking, right? Rotors rust when it's foggy. Jesus man.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Just in case you didn't know, rotors will literally rust in 15 minutes if it's just raining outside in the summer. No salt or anything.

No kidding. Note that I didn't say anything about rotors themselves, Lug bolts, hub flange, etc. are spots where there was a surprising amount of corrosion for ONE SINGLE salt exposure, based upon the SEVEN cars Ive owned AT THE SAME TIME for roughly the last 12 years. Far from single point experience. Especially since other makers considered sub-part to Honda (e.g. Chevy and Saab) had the forethought to put grease in those spots from the factory, notionally for this very reason...

Originally Posted By: c502cid
My gawd, it's a car...and a 4 door appliance at that. If the minuscule amount of corrosion bothers you just get a hermetically sealed bubble for it so no air can ever get to it. Guys like you crack me up......

Guys like you crack me up. One would think that holding a maker to a higher standard, and expecting to see less corrosion so early in the game was was somehow a bad thing. Yet makers like Honda and Toyota made their fame being better and longer lasting and better quality than domestic makers whose cars would have you peering through the floorboards in a few seasons.

One would hope that a vehicle with less than six months of service, 10k miles, and one single salt exposure would look the same or better than my Saab did at ten years and 80k...

Guaranteed your Saab didn't look better than this. I'll take a pic of the bolts on my Honda that spent 14 years in MN road salt. And my Nissan. And my Chevy. And my Subaru. It's good you expect more from Honda, but that rust isn't going to hurt anything worth worrying over.

Originally Posted By: Yup

If you have this much OCD I'd garage your car and only drive on sunny days. You have to be joking, right? Rotors rust when it's foggy. Jesus man.

So you see an image of a rotor and make commentary based upon that? Where did I mention rotor surface rust (on the braking surface)?? I didn't. Comprehension might serve you well before making comment.

Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: horse123
Just in case you didn't know, rotors will literally rust in 15 minutes if it's just raining outside in the summer. No salt or anything.

No kidding. Note that I didn't say anything about rotors themselves, Lug bolts, hub flange, etc. are spots where there was a surprising amount of corrosion for ONE SINGLE salt exposure, based upon the SEVEN cars Ive owned AT THE SAME TIME for roughly the last 12 years. Far from single point experience. Especially since other makers considered sub-part to Honda (e.g. Chevy and Saab) had the forethought to put grease in those spots from the factory, notionally for this very reason...

Originally Posted By: c502cid
My gawd, it's a car...and a 4 door appliance at that. If the minuscule amount of corrosion bothers you just get a hermetically sealed bubble for it so no air can ever get to it. Guys like you crack me up......

Guys like you crack me up. One would think that holding a maker to a higher standard, and expecting to see less corrosion so early in the game was was somehow a bad thing. Yet makers like Honda and Toyota made their fame being better and longer lasting and better quality than domestic makers whose cars would have you peering through the floorboards in a few seasons.

One would hope that a vehicle with less than six months of service, 10k miles, and one single salt exposure would look the same or better than my Saab did at ten years and 80k...

Guaranteed your Saab didn't look better than this. I'll take a pic of the bolts on my Honda that spent 14 years in MN road salt. And my Nissan. And my Chevy. And my Subaru. It's good you expect more from Honda, but that rust isn't going to hurt anything worth worrying over.

This was 10 years of use:

IMG_3063_zps04a3798f.jpg

Was there surface rust and some corrosion on the aluminum? Yes. But this was after 10 years, not six months.

Everyone knows that the friction surface flash rusts, not sure why anyone is even bringing that up. But the rotor gay was nowhere near as rusty at 10 years as this is at 6mo. Of course from the factory it was protected by some grease.

IMG_3084_zps1afa0d96.jpg

I'm glad we don't have problems with snow and salt on the road in So Cal.

I wash my cars about once every other month and almost never wash underside. Body rust isn't a problem in So Cal but paint fading is a real problem, mainly because we do full wax once every 3-4 years, only "Eagle Wax As You Dry" was used regularly about once or twice a year.

Dude: You live in New Jersey....you should be concerned with horn failure rates...
lol.gif
lol.gif

When I moved my daughter to NJ I couldn't believe how many idiots would blow their horn for nothing....I almost started an automotive horn repair franchise business....
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

If you don't want a car to rust move down South...
21.gif

Last edited:
Let me guess - aftermarket rims on the snow tires? Flat out a guess there may be spacing rings involved? Looks like how my snows come off on my Explorer. Even with the spacing rings it isn't nearly as snug as the OEM's in my case, and I end up looking like yours do with the snows if I don't use some anti-seize.

And the transmission case looks more like it didn't get cleaned off thoroughly. If not, the reality is it will oxidize anyways. Nothing to worry about there.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Let me guess - aftermarket rims on the snow tires? Flat out a guess there may be spacing rings involved? Looks like how my snows come off on my Explorer. Even with the spacing rings it isn't nearly as snug as the OEM's in my case, and I end up looking like yours do with the snows if I don't use some anti-seize.

And the transmission case looks more like it didn't get cleaned off thoroughly. If not, the reality is it will oxidize anyways. Nothing to worry about there.

No, actually Ive not yet put on my snow tires due to the warm weather. I figured Id put them on since I just got my EZ Car lift and wanted to put it to use...

So this was from the OE wheels!

Snows went on after I brushed some of the rust and applied anti-seize.

They would pretty much have to make the whole car out of stainless steel in order to survive the constant onslaught of salt spray. Here's a question for you: Anchorage Alaska gets plenty of snow, so why don't they use salt there ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Here's a question for you: Anchorage Alaska gets plenty of snow, so why don't they use salt there ?

Salt doesn't work below 15ish degrees fahrenheit.

Honda makes a good car, but there's nothing magical about them. They're very average in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Your putting snow tires on now? What's the point?

What wheels are you using for snow tires in your first post?

Yeah, we got dumped on two weeks ago... But we usually get decemt snows in late February/early March. I got the tires, got my car lift, figured I might as well put both to use at least for a bit...

I got a set of bbs wheels for the snows. Perhaps a bit too open for use in the salt... But they look good!

Originally Posted By: Doog
NEWS FLASH: JAPANESE CARS RUST OUT.

All cars rust out. All cars corrode. Cars in non salt areas that still see morning dew still show surface corrosion... I get that.

My issue is that a few spots that could have been better prepped with paint or other protection, in my view, should have been. Instead there's a lot of rust, benign surface rust or otherwise, that is quite obvious.

The white powder literally pouring out of the lug nuts really gets me though... Ned to find a protectant that doesn't affect the friction characteristics...

I can understand where he is coming from. Nothing wrong with expecting better, especially a company with good products like Honda... You want your car to stay as new for as long as possible. Though the scary part is the wife's cavalier, when new back in 2003 looked better after a pretty snowy winter here. And that was with me checking after I washed it..
crazy.gif

But I do agree with the beater with a heater idea. It's pretty much the only reason my Cobalt will stick around after I get a new car- to battle the salt and winter weather....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back