I've Become a Ballistol Advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AMC
If the smell of Ballistol is so horrendous to you that you can't stand it, you have a seriously wimpy nose and I have no idea how you work around anything automotive related.

I never said anything about the smell. I could care less what a lubricant smells like. I buy it for what it can do. And with Ballistol that isn't that much. My only gripe with Ballistol is that it's nothing more than overpriced, scented mineral oil, with a little alcohol thrown in. If you're sold on using mineral oil on your guns, you certainly don't need to pay over a buck an ounce for it. That's not "hating". It's economic common sense.

Ballistol is jack of all trades product. I'm ok with that. I don't have a need for an 'exteme' lubricant. I have grease for hinge pins and slides. I still use hoppes for wipe down and bore cleaning.

With so many choices for gun oil on the market, if you don't like it, move on. My stance is it has worked well for my needs, and I'll continue to use what I have on hand. Then I'll re-evaluate my choice when I'm getting low.

As for economics, most gun oils are severely marked up. I like the fact it is nontoxic, is safe on wood and leather and I can locally source it. If it was good enough for the Kaiser, it's good enough for me!

Ballistic spray is a decent non hazardous cleaner. I don't care for it as a lube. To be honest, I prefer other cleaners and lubes. The smell doesn't bother me and I actually like the smell.

I really like Remoil spray as a general purpose cleaner and metal protectant. I hate Remoil as a lube but the aerosol cans are perfect for cleaning.

I use TW25b grease for most pistol and rifles. I like Breakfree LP, G96 synthetic CLP, and Slip 2000 EWL for AR rifles.

The three in one products are only used for cleaning by me. I prefer dedicated lubes and greases for lubrication.

I really liked the M Pro 7 cleaner, until they doubled the price on an already overly expensive product. I now use Slip 725 cleaner when I want a nice clean, oil free surface. It's non hazardous and nonstinky.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Nothing wrong with using motor oil, especially a fine synthetic.

Do you want it to mix with water or protect it from moisture? Gear lube sheds water, motor oil will absorb it.
I bet if you test all gun oils by mixing them with water and then shaking them up they separate from the water. Motor oil won't.

I will do that later today with Breakfree and FP-10. The problem may be that CLP's do mix with water. we'll see.

Just like in an engine, perhaps it absorbs moisture, but still protects the metal from corrosion and continues to provide superior lubrication doesn't it?

Let me know if the CLP absorbs moisture, even if it does I think it may well be a non-issue.

I base my opinion on real world carry conditions with rain, snow, sweat, etc. The motor oil has never been an issue and performed very well.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Let me know if the CLP absorbs moisture, even if it does I think it may well be a non-issue.

The motor oil has never been an issue and performed very well.

I am too lazy to take and post the photo. The results are mixed doesn't absorb as much as motor oil but absorbs more than ATF and Gear lube. I will do a better test aqnd let them sit for a couple days. I will use ATF, Gear Lube, Motor Oil, and this time Breakfree.

As a practical matter you are probably right. The differences are probably negligible as a practical matter.

People keep saying that Ballistol is just "mineral oil with a couple of additives" and that you could buy the same thing at the drug store.

Could it be (I'm asking here) that by mineral, it could mean mineral based lubricating oil, in the sense that PYB is mineral vs PPPP is synthetic or like 3 in 1 oil is mineral based? Reason I ask is Ballistol has kind of a yellowish color to it and the stuff at the drug store is clear.

I busted out my dusty can of Ballistol and cleaned my German HK91 with it. A German lube with a German gun - just seemed appropriate.

Made in Germany, and you know the Germans make good stuff.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I busted out my dusty can of Ballistol and cleaned my German HK91 with it. A German lube with a German gun - just seemed appropriate.

Usually yes, but there was a time when we had plenty of low end Teutonic guns came through the country. The Rohm and Erma guns were especially spotty. I had a particularly frustrating Erma 22 Luger pistol that was lucky to go three rounds without a jam.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Awesome rifle. I've often considered buying one of the PTR-91s that are made in this country with the tooling PTR bought from the HK-licensed Portuguese factory that made HK-91s.

What kind of shooting do you do with it? Have you tested to see what kind of groups you can get with it?

I have used MMO and will do so again in the future. Seems to work fine. I have never used Ballistol but from what I've read here it kinda sounds similar to my MMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have used MMO and will do so again in the future. Seems to work fine. I have never used Ballistol but from what I've read here it kinda sounds similar to my MMO.

Honestly MMO is a bigger rip-off.
74% Mineral oil
25% Stoddard Solvent
1% lard

Mix your own.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Ballistol is a CLP. MMO is not. Ballistol is really all we need to maintain rifles, shotguns pistols and muzzleloaders. MMO is a weaker version of it and don't apply MMO as a body medicine either. You can with Ballistol.

Last edited:
You also can't make "moose milk" with MMO
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
You also can't make "moose milk" with MMO
smile.gif

Sure you can. Just add some alcohol to allow emulsification.

For the 10,000th time on here, MMO is not "mineral oil".

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color

Anyway it is handy stuff and yes you can clean your guns with it.

Between MMO and Ballistol, Ballistol is non toxic and MMO is.
Ballistol is scented by anise oil, MMO is scented with wintergreen oil.
Anise oil dissipates much faster and the fact that there is no naptha or mineral spirits, Ballistol will not give you a headache. If you are very sensitive, I suppose both could give you a headache but it is going to be much worse with MMO.
Ballistol mixes with water, MMO does not.
Both are good general purpose gun cleaners, both are good carbon cutters but MMO may work slightly better.
Both can be used for cleaning carburators and can both be added to fuel, MMO is probably better (stronger) though.

I see Ballistol as more of a gun and around the house product.

I see MMO as more of an automotive and around the garage product.

MMO is much cheaper and easier to find than Ballistol.

Both are good products and I still use them both occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back