What oil for a beater vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
So my friend has got himself a older 02' Focus wagon that he probably won't drive much. He asked me what oil I would use in it. I said probably Rural King oil or even MS5K and a decent filter like a Carquest. What do you folks use in a beater or car that's not your daily driver or one that's not driven much. Discuss

How many miles on it? Does it burn/leak oil? What is factory spec'd?
Without knowing any of these answers I would guesstamate STHM 10W40 with a MC or Purolator classic filter.
21.gif

So my friend has got himself a older 02' Focus wagon that he probably won't drive much. He asked me what oil I would use in it. I said probably Rural King oil or even MS5K and a decent filter like a Carquest. What do you folks use in a beater or car that's not your daily driver or one that's not driven much. Discuss

When you are out driving if you see a big store called Walmart stop there and get some Pennzoil.

I believe the 02' Focus specs for 5w20. Don't even consider a 40 weight oil....thats just foolish IMO.

I would suggest using a blend, specifically MOTORCRAFT 5w20....which can be purchased at Walmart in 5 quart jugs for $17 and change.

Also the Motorcraft filter, would work perfectly with the oii.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I believe the 02' Focus specs for 5w20. Don't even consider a 40 weight oil....thats just foolish IMO.

I would suggest using a blend, specifically MOTORCRAFT 5w20....which can be purchased at Walmart in 5 quart jugs for $17 and change.

In that case, use the new UNIVERSAL oil, 0W40.
thumbsup2.gif

Ejes: I'll tell him about that. I never honestly tried the ST syn yet

I've run SuperTech Full Syn in my 04' Ram 1500 5.7 since I purchased it new. Have ran in it in my Toyota Rav4 since I bought it new in 07'. Still have both; engines are strong and no issues related to oil. Have ran PYB in my 97' Buick LeSabre I bought with 90k 3 years ago for my kids' school car. Both have been good oils.

This is a good site for checking out oils. Wolf's Head looks good too; they don't sell it around here so I have never heard of it before this thread: http://pqiamerica.com/

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

In that case, use the new UNIVERSAL oil, 0W40.
thumbsup2.gif

Oregoonian, I was j/k with you.
wink.gif

But, 0W40 seems to be the new "go to" oil. Kind of like 5W30 is the most "go to" oil currently.
He hasn't specified if it burns and/or leaks oil. I think these 2 items should be taken into consideration before suggesting an oil. But, that's just my opinion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
He hasn't specified if it burns and/or leaks oil. I think these 2 items should be taken into consideration before suggesting an oil. But, that's just my opinion.
smile.gif

At times, that can be my first consideration. I have no desire to burn of $10+ per litre oil or have it spill on the driveway, if either of those scenarios can at all be avoided.

Had a leak on one corner of valve cover so we are changing that as well as spark plugs. doesn't burn any oil though

If you have a Sam's Club membership, they sell cases of "Certified" brand oil, in 5w20 weight, for about $24. That works out to about $2 a quart. From what I've seen, it's a really good oil.

Lump my post in with most other people.. Whatever is the best price. I can get a good deal from a buddy at a local parts store, they have Total oils. I can get the conventional for $3/L every day which is what I buy for my Saturn. I have been using the Quartz synthetic for my SI.

PYB if the price is good otherwise Mobil super which is usually a good price.. Another good oil at a good price is Smittys Super S sometimes at a good price at K mart.

These Zetec engines are quite easy on oil. My car has a Zetec 1.8 16v engine and Ford incorrectly recommended 15W40 and 20W50 oils on user's manual for the 98 and 99 model years here in Brazil and I used 20W50 on it for some time before switching for 15W40 and 5W30, as 5W30 is the correct weight for this engine, and despite the valve-lifters noise that is somewhat characteristic of this engine, I never had any oil-related problem.

I think this Focus will be cool with any brand name 5W30 or even 5W40, conventional or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back