Struggling with 2003 Camry update

Status
Not open for further replies.
picture of the oil pan I installed, and got from the junkyard, from the scion tc, 4.2 quts, a new oil pan is often made by spectra, is nice sand shiny but is 4.5 qts, but the oem is 4 quts. why the difference and i heard more oil= better since more cooloing, did they change it in the aftermarket to 4.5 since the figured 4 qts was too little for this engine? thats what the guy at s and g who had a dorman in stock for 100 ish (too much) whereas the spectras are like 85.99, said.
i installed this, will it be bad, or should i redo the job with a new oil pan?
511rbr.png

again, not taken with the iphone, dang, the iphone gives out stalkerish info, but my cheap samsung doesn't provide those details, good to know

but notice the rust, i emailed samir at blackstone labs and showed him the picture, and he said it was fine. opinions/ i installed this.

also, about angle grinders, which arbor size is better 5/8 or 7/8? i bouth a 7/8 wheel but 5/8 angle grinmder, should i return it and buy a 7/8 one from h freight with the coupon this super bowl weekend? Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineer20
the iphone gives out stalkerish info, but my cheap samsung doesn't provide those details

It has nothing to do with the iPhone itself, but with what has been enabled on the iPhone: The iPhone has Location Services enabled and your Samsung doesn't.

Many folks like to have their photos tagged with where they were taken, especially for vacations and family events. Unfortunately, that's a big security hole.

This is what your Samsung's manual says about the subject:
Use Location Services
Use the following steps to use Wi-Fi or mobile networks to determine your phone's location.
1. Press (house icon) > (another icon) and tap Settings > Location services.
2. Tap "Use wireless networks". A green checkmark indicates the feature is enabled.
This service uses available wireless networks to pinpoint your location within certain applications such as Google Maps.
3. Tap "Agree".
Enabling this feature allows Google to collect anonymous location data whether or not any location application or other related feature is active or in use.

If you want to look it up, it's on Page 140.

Thanks. At least those pics are theirs and were taken at their place, so yall don't know where I am, hahaha, but in all seriousness, how about the ball joint and the "new" to me but used oil pan with the rust I posted above?

also, what are some tiips on muffler maintenance? i saw my model camry in the shop the other day having exhaust/muffler work. Mine has been good so far but I heard it's a wear item. What can I do to prevent it from going bad?
Also, you check the t fluid trans when it's running right? my fluid level is at the full mark when it's stopped, turned off, but when it's running and hot, the level goes down on the camry to near the low mark! that means i'm low on fluid right? I just added some, to bring the level up, as I worry about low t fluid, which I checke when it was running, and when it's off, it seems full but when it's running, it was at low, and i had that minor leak, so i awlays have t fluid in my camryand a funnel and am prepared to top it off at any time. I've been using maxlife, but I know this belle tire that sells amsoil trans fluid, is it worth t to use it at 11.99 a quart or no? the maxlife is cheap and chepaer and type 4 from the dealership, and I have a lot of those from hwen i bought it at autozone on sale.

but what should I do in terms of exhaust, muffler maintenance and is CRC guarenteed to pass any good, will it help the exhaust system or hurt it, as I've tried that a few times, when i bought it on sale from walmart and put it in my gas tank.

also, what are some tiips on muffler maintenance? i saw my model camry in the shop the other day having exhaust/muffler work. Mine has been good so far but I heard it's a wear item. What can I do to prevent it from going bad?

Repack the muffler bearings every 50k miles or so. Most manufacturers consider this a lubed for life part and maintenance free, but if you do your research, you'll find this leads to premature failure.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Repack the muffler bearings every 50k miles or so. Most manufacturers consider this a lubed for life part and maintenance free, but if you do your research, you'll find this leads to premature failure.

Precisely; and also check the kanuter valve that Toyota installs upstream of the muffler. If it fails it causes chronometric feedback in the exhaust pulses and can cause the ECU to throw a "Low Isolinear Capacitance" fault code.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Precisely; and also check the kanuter valve that Toyota installs upstream of the muffler. If it fails it causes chronometric feedback in the exhaust pulses and can cause the ECU to throw a "Low Isolinear Capacitance" fault code.

I forgot about the kanuter valve. Use some brake or carburetor cleaner to clean it out while you're in there doing the muffler bearings. You want to make sure it's moving smoothly and not clogged up. They should be able to detail this procedure over at Toyota Nation.

You can edit the pics before you upload them to exclude "EXIF data" then we can't stalk you.

Removing the whole steering knuckle to get the ball joint... dang... that's a lot of extra work.

Sway bar end links often don't like to come apart. I got mine for my camry off amazon for $11 shipped.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I forgot about the kanuter valve. Use some brake or carburetor cleaner to clean it out while you're in there doing the muffler bearings. You want to make sure it's moving smoothly and not clogged up. They should be able to detail this procedure over at Toyota Nation.

you guys bring up a good point -- but I thought it was kanuteN valve.
solvents from carb cleaner could damage the valve.
there is a dedicated cleaner for the valve, as with a maf sensor.
MAKE SURE to get the metric can,when buying the cleaner, and only use it on Tuesdays.
as you are spraying the valve, you must chant, 7 times, "Montana is the best of all time".then, you're good to go.

it's good to see you guys posting such relevant info.

You replace it when it rust through and make noise. Wear item in Michigan but last forever in the south. What can you do to prevent it from going bad? Move somewhere that doesn't snow, that's about it.

Quote:
Also, you check the t fluid trans when it's running right? my fluid level is at the full mark when it's stopped, turned off, but when it's running and hot, the level goes down on the camry to near the low mark! that means i'm low on fluid right? I just added some, to bring the level up, as I worry about low t fluid, which I checke when it was running, and when it's off, it seems full but when it's running, it was at low, and i had that minor leak, so i awlays have t fluid in my camryand a funnel and am prepared to top it off at any time. I've been using maxlife, but I know this belle tire that sells amsoil trans fluid, is it worth t to use it at 11.99 a quart or no? the maxlife is cheap and chepaer and type 4 from the dealership, and I have a lot of those from hwen i bought it at autozone on sale.

If you do not see a puddle under your parking spot or garage, don't top off, you're likely measuring it wrong and will over fill. Unlike engine oil other fluid in your car doesn't burn off, they just leak out. If you see low level of any other fluid just check for leak before you top off.

Quote:
but what should I do in terms of exhaust, muffler maintenance and is CRC guarenteed to pass any good, will it help the exhaust system or hurt it, as I've tried that a few times, when i bought it on sale from walmart and put it in my gas tank.

Did you fail smog? Why are you using any guarantee to pass product?

If you need a muffler because it rust through, I think you can get them cheap, like $50-100 off eBay or rock auto. Stop worrying about it or use $10/bottle product trying to preserve it.

or waste money buying any blinker fluid or muffler bearing.......

Last edited:
Still struggling with his Camry after five pages. Expect this to go on forever if you keep answering his inquiries. Same thing over on the Toyota Nation forum.

thanks pandabear, but also, the trans, i did a drain and fill when i worked on the ball joint, so I'm just worried I didn't fill it back with enough, not beacuse of a leak
and i want to drop the pan soon (this spring)

does a bad battery affect your starter or no, as my starter went out near labor day last year, just as summer was ending. i replaced my battery then as well as the tests measured it saying it was in its last quarter of its life, i could've maybe pushed it thru now, and this winter has been a mild one, milder than usual, so that's good, the last 2 winters were super cold and that must've wrecked havoc on the battery, but this winter, starting has been super easy, but does a battery affect the starter or not? or does it only affect the alterator?

also, there are no smog inspections in michigan. if there is one in your state, what state, besidse cali, do you live in? I know california has smog inspections, but what other states have them? I bought crc guarenteed to pass as it was super cheap and on sale at walmart a while ago.

does a bad battery affect your starter or no, as my starter went out near labor day last year, just as summer was ending. i replaced my battery then as well as the tests measured it saying it was in its last quarter of its life, i could've maybe pushed it thru now, and this winter has been a mild one, milder than usual, so that's good, the last 2 winters were super cold and that must've wrecked havoc on the battery, but this winter, starting has been super easy, but does a battery affect the starter or not? or does it only affect the alterator?

Questions like this are how we know you're not an Engineer.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/dc-motor-burns-out-at-low-voltage.280934/
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-burn-out-an-electric-motor

"Supplying too low a voltage causing operating current to go too high at rated HP load

Having inadequate supply wiring causing voltage loss at or near full HP load and current then going too high in compensation causing winding overload and overheating."

thanks pandabear, but also, the trans, i did a drain and fill when i worked on the ball joint, so I'm just worried I didn't fill it back with enough, not beacuse of a leak

Rule #1 in problem solving: do not mix unrelated problems together if you can keep them separate. Doing ball joint? Don't mess with the transmission or you won't know what is broken.

Rule #2: if you do not know how to check it correctly, do not drain, or you won't know how to check if you fill it back correctly. I guess it is too late for that?

Quote:
and i want to drop the pan soon (this spring)

Don't do that if you already wasted ATF for a drain refill, and if you need to drop the pan because of a leak, don't drain refill and waste time / fluid before that.

Quote:
does a bad battery affect your starter or no, as my starter went out near labor day last year, just as summer was ending. i replaced my battery then as well as the tests measured it saying it was in its last quarter of its life, i could've maybe pushed it thru now, and this winter has been a mild one, milder than usual, so that's good, the last 2 winters were super cold and that must've wrecked havoc on the battery, but this winter, starting has been super easy, but does a battery affect the starter or not? or does it only affect the alternator?

If you can start the car, chances are your starter is fine.

Who told you that your battery is at last 1/4 of its life? Maybe you should ask him to replace it for you, most battery sellers have free install if you can pull the car into the bay.

Quote:
also, there are no smog inspections in michigan. if there is one in your state, what state, besidse cali, do you live in? I know california has smog inspections, but what other states have them? I bought crc guarenteed to pass as it was super cheap and on sale at walmart a while ago.

Unless you plan to move, I don't think it matters if other states have smog or not. Try to stay focus on fixing your car first before worrying about everything else.

If you don't need something, it is a waste of money no matter how cheap it sell for.

Just out of curiosity: is engineer20 an AI bot from University of Michigan trying to see how good the AI algorithm works or whether people can recognize it is an AI?

i might relocate to california or elsewhere, later on, which is why i ased about smog

pandabear, your'e late in the game, i already got the stasrter/battery done last september, i'm asking just in case the next round i need anotehr starter/battery, as i'm sure it'll happen again, so i wanna be prepared, the next time it happens!

E20...Even if an engineer should know the relation between a starter, amperage and voltage without having to ask non-engineers, a college graduate ought to be able to write like an adult.

You should be embarrassed to publish such poor writing. You really should check your spelling, capitalization, and punctuation, edit your run-on sentences and disassociated ideas within a paragraph. As you have learned here, most people will not take your thoughts and ideas seriously.

Furthermore, it is really an affront to if not an outright indictment of our culture that you write so poorly....really...

@kitcam, sorry
as ppl said, it's more like a "stream of consciousness" and I agree. I'll try to edit what i'm writing and read over it before I press submit. Nevertheless, I bought moog stabilizer links (rear 2 as well as 1 front) and well get the bushings later (also by moog) from advance auto.

I"m thinking about wheel bearings now as Belle Tire told me I had a bad wheel bearing.

I went shopping around and saw autozone had the timken complete assembly, hub and bearing, so i guess I"ll be going with that after what I"ve read it's better than moog? There's also a National bearing available at the parts stores, it says it's made by moog and from federal mogul, but it's just the bearing itself, how are national wheel bearings? Should I just replace both fronts and the hub as well as the bearing, since I heard the bearing was really hard to get out, but pressing it in is easier, but you can have a shop do it, bring the part to a shop, they'll presss it in, then you install it

http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA590303K-Axle-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B000BZ97QW/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Camry%7C1011&Year=2003%7C2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Is this one the right one, and it's a similar price to autozone's and autozone and the other places give a 1 or 3 yr warranty (no lifetime) but autozone's timken was a 3 year.

Was told by belle tire yesterday my left driver side front wheel bearing was bad, but i was told the passenger side was bad last year, so should I just replace both?

Was told by belle tire yesterday my left driver side front wheel bearing was bad, but i was told the passenger side was bad last year, so should I just replace both?

It's impossible to have this many problems with one car. How many miles are on this Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back