Ford announces new assembly plant in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW the build quality on my mom's 2014 Fusion built in Hermosillo is a lot higher than the build quality of my 2014 Mustang built in Flat Rock.

+1 The UAW has been raping the companies for decades now they raped the employees out of their jobs. They all got exactly what they ordered.

Nothing to do with the UAW, how do you compete with $5 a day wages in Mexico?

NAFTA ftw.

Surprising quantity of 'domestic' vehicles and products sourced and screwed together elsewhere for Yank consumption.
Actually it's not surprising.

And Fords have proven quite popular amongst some latino/chicano/hispanic folks anyway.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Nothing to do with the UAW, how do you compete with $5 a day wages in Mexico?

You don't. Wall street loves that though...means more profit for them....

And when you have cars built for $5 per hour wages you would think that the price of the car would go down. What we are seeing is a race to the bottom, no one will be happy until everyone gets paid Walmart wages.

I'm not sure who is doing the most to price me out of the new vehicle market... the manufacturers (with [censored] like aluminum bodies, which does nothing but increase the cost), the union (gimme, gimme, gimme more money), or the government... who keeps dictating new standards and regulations.

Of course, is Ford going to lower the price of these foreign made vehicles, when their production costs are lower? No.

The consumer will continue to take it in the neck, just like always. Once I pay for all of the increased union demands, and the increased government demands....

Hear that "Giant sucking sound" Ross Perot warned would come from NAFTA. We are largely seeing all the negatives and none of the benefits of this cheap labor as a consumer.

We lose good paying jobs which are replaced with "McJobs" and the purchasing power of the consumer declines as we don't see the price decline.

The auto industry is heading for a burst bubble. Cars are expensive, and increasingly hard to afford for a large segment of the population. They are making bad loans and it will result in something analogous to 2008 again.

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 The UAW has been raping the companies for decades now they raped the employees out of their jobs. They all got exactly what they ordered.

Yea h but you forget when their unemployment benefits expire they can get $15/hr at McDonalds

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
FWIW the build quality on my mom's 2014 Fusion built in Hermosillo is a lot higher than the build quality of my 2014 Mustang built in Flat Rock.
have you gotten bitten by drive line issues?
My Brother bought a 2016 EB w/performance pack last fall, and suddenly, within the last month,has been getting a strong vibration while driving. today he put the car up on blocks, rev'd it up, and the whole car was shaking.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The auto industry is heading for a burst bubble. Cars are expensive, and increasingly hard to afford for a large segment of the population. They are making bad loans and it will result in something analogous to 2008 again.

uh that is really not true.....the average age of a car in the US is 11 years old. Which means there are no used cars which means that if 50% of the new car loans failed....the used cars created would be bought immediately and there would be NO effects on the market...the auto industry is looking at another 16-17 million car build in 2016

Nothing to do with the UAW...

Do you really think that? Then why is Ford doing it, if not for cheaper labor, which is not controlled by the UAW?

Let's see how long the former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL sits empty. I don't see a line forming, of companies fighting each other to inherit the union labor force at that plant.

Why did Hyundai build in Alabama, and not in Michigan? Why is Honda now in southern Indiana, and not in Illinois? Why is BMW in South Carolina, and not in New York?

Yeah, nothing to do with the UAW. Riiiiiight.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The consumer will continue to take it in the neck, just like always. Once I pay for all of the increased union demands, and the increased government demands....

Hey Trav and mrsilv04, do you know that we have some new 2nd tier GM employees that can qualify for federal assistance? The new hires get paid less, no pension, and greatly reduced benefits. I think you should actually come into a plant and see what is going on before you make [censored] remarks like this. The UAW is not the one you should be unhappy with.

Nothing to do with the UAW...

Do you really think that? Then why is Ford doing it, if not for cheaper labor, which is not controlled by the UAW?

The UAW does not control labor rates. They sit down with management and together they agree as to what the wage should be. Ford is doing it because they don't have to pay a living wage in Mexico or China. No health care, OSHA, worker comp, work rules, etc...

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Hey Trav and mrsilv04, do you know that we have some new 2nd tier GM employees that can qualify for federal assistance? The new hires get paid less, no pension, and greatly reduced benefits. I think you should actually come into a plant and see what is going on before you make [censored] remarks like this. The UAW is not the one you should be unhappy with.

Yeah, I've been to auto plants. Thanks for asking first.

I was at the Corvette plant not too long ago, and had to park my Nissan Pathfinder rental in a parking lot that was half way back to the interstate. Childish union rules, I assume?

I've also been in every Honda plant in Ohio, but I would assume that you don't want to hear anything about that.

If it isn't because of the union and their labor costs, then what is it? Please share.

And I would like to thank you in return for your [censored] remarks, from the paradise known as Michigan.

I hope ALL the Union haters get pay cuts when ALL the Unions fail and EVERYBODY gets paid $15 per hour. ALL pay scales are set by Union labor pay scales. The ONLY people that benefit from NON-Union labor is big business CEO's.
Will FORD lower the cost of their cars??? When inner earth freezes over.

An interesting post from another thread.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back