Ever wonder how the new Camaro is made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 'cold-test' station at ~11:10 is fascinating.

Over 1500 parameters inspected and/or verified in just over a minute is pretty dang slick!

Been lucky enough to be in a few plants to see this cool stuff....
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
made so you can't see out of it
Oddly, but true, that is part of its "cool" factor. Its probably not safe though. I drove a 5th Gen model for years and got used to checking mirrors with moving my head side to side. I know, weird, but effective.
smirk.gif

At one time there was an hour long version of the How It's Made type show where the whole hour was focused on one car. One day they showed the Mercedes SLS AMG, then the Aston Martin DB9, then the Camaro, then the Charger/Challenger. It was amazing the difference between the European and North American factories. I guess there is no dress code in the North American factories.

Originally Posted By: splinter
That 'cold-test' station at ~11:10 is fascinating.

Over 1500 parameters inspected and/or verified in just over a minute is pretty dang slick!

Isn't it? And all without firing the engine at all. Actually I am quite surprised they showed as much as they did. There's a lot of cool and coveted techniques being shown to the world there.

And there is obviously not much of a dress code. Thank the unions...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I guess there is no dress code in the North American factories.

From about 2004 to 2008 we did have a dress code, uniforms and all. They would send you home if you came into work not wearing the correct shirt with emblem and your name on it and the correct color pants. I remember they gave you 6 pants and 6 shirts then 2 each every year after that unless yours were damaged do to the work environment. I liked them but they went the way of the dinosaur. Body Shop and Paint shop really went thru a lot due to damage replacements so GM terminated the program. I do wish they would bring them back.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
splinter said:
And there is obviously not much of a dress code. Thank the unions...

Steve as stated above, the vast majority of the hourly employees (Union Employees) liked the uniforms. It was managements decision to cancel the program. That said GM is very restrictive on what you can and can't wear depending on where you work. Most areas, no rings, watches, clothes with rivets, metal belt buckles keys or change in pockets. Paint shop is even crazier with personal products like antiperspirants, lotions, perfumes, hairspray, make-up. The list there is huge. But anyway, management decided to shut down the uniforms not the UAW.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
made so you can't see out of it
Oddly, but true, that is part of its "cool" factor. Its probably not safe though. I drove a 5th Gen model for years and got used to checking mirrors with moving my head side to side. I know, weird, but effective.
smirk.gif

I've driven a 5th gen SS, I was just in a new one last week. I'm glad they shed some weight off the bat mobile.

I've driven a 5th gen SS, I was just in a new one last week. I'm glad they shed some weight off the bat mobile.
Weight is down, that's good. Visibility is just as bad or even slightly worse in the new one!
Seriously, it may very well be the SAE and NHTSA will come up with Visibility Standards in the future, and the Camaro won't pass as is. Got to be a limit to how bad it gets, like other safety minimums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back