What oil for a beater vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my friend has got himself a older 02' Focus wagon that he probably won't drive much. He asked me what oil I would use in it. I said probably Rural King oil or even MS5K and a decent filter like a Carquest. What do you folks use in a beater or car that's not your daily driver or one that's not driven much. Discuss

Presently Peak 10w40 that I got 5.1 qts of for $3 from autozone. If you had to start from scratch, Supertech bought online to save $2 is as good an option as any.

But this is why stashes exist.

The Mobil Super 5000, Supertech - whatever brand name is on sale will do fine. Or just run Supertech Synthetic or Maxlife red jug for a 1 year interval if its just a low use beater.

Well, I told him I would donate the Durablend 5w20 jug I have. He's fixing a few things on it to be legal for safety inspection. He's going looking for some all season tires for it also. Has some nice Michelin snows on there now

Wolfs head!

wolf_super_duty_10w30_qt_ft.png

Last edited:
I'd use some SuperTech in it, Walmart has it for $8-$9 a jug right now if you order online and pickup in store. That and a Carquest filter would be good

I would use PYB for a conventional and SuperTech Full Syn if I wanted a syn. Have had great luck with both.

A3/B4 Castrol 0w40 currently, was on sale. $22 for a few years of service. Otherwise Chevron supreme as I can get it for under $2.30/qt if I don't catch a a good sale. Like my WIX filters, 10k FCI minimum.

Help him build the clearance stash. Like the $1.27 per quart Mobil 1 Truck & SUV, which was even cheaper when I got a $24 rebate check
laugh.gif
That was sweet!

How many miles are on it?

I'd prolly use Delvac or Delo 15W-40 and good filter. Because it'll be sitting, I'd like dino oil (better capillary fill and higher surface tension than pure syns).

But the big deal is to have the galleries full when he does start it. Good anti-drain-back-velve is essential to hold oil in place until the next start. I'd prolly get a WIX filter from O'Rielly's, or something along that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back