w116 300sd Lower shock bolt type/size

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how many guys I used to work with (I worked at a junkyard in the summer when I was in college), or guys that I would talk with at the auto hobby shop on base who used to say, "don't buy 12 points, they just round off the bolts, you should get 6 point sockets"...

Well...I'm glad I've got both...for cases just like this...

Don't get me started on the triple square head bolts...

;-)

Originally Posted By: Trav
12mm 12 point socket or box wrench.

+1

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

I think I have a special socket for these, but I can't recall off the top of my head...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
12mm 12 point socket or box wrench.

+1

I think I have a special socket for these, but I can't recall off the top of my head...

Nice pics. Will do with the 12 point 12mm socket

I was able to remove the shock on the drivers side.
The 12 point bolts came off without a problem.

Question on installation:

Do I secure and bolt down the bottom of the shock first or do I start at the top of the shock.

I positioned the shock on the bottom first and went to screw the bolts in.
I noticed that the shock did not reach all the way thru the top opening and was a few inches short.

I then removed the bolts from the bottom of the shock and then went to secure and bolt down the top of the shock first.

I then jacked the car up by positioning the jack directly under the shock and noticed that the car began to lift off the jack stand.

The bottom of the shock was short of making contact with the lower arm.

I have both sides on jack stands and feel that this is preventing the whole weight of the car from dropping into place.

What am I missing here?

Jeeeez.....

This shock thing is something else....

Both front wheels off the ground, start the top but don't run it down all the way, make sure you pull down on the lower shock tube to expand it, some oil only shocks don't expand like gas.
Use a small jack with a piece of 2x4 right under the control arm to lift the arm slightly if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back