Small compressor advice + a story of stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
So I was topping off my bike tires this morning with my trusty B&D tire inflator using 120v when I heard a pop and it quit. I plugged it into 12v, and it worked fine. So after my ride I took it apart, found voltage on the circuit board and discovered an open fuse. In a moment of complete stupidity, I jumped it with the screwdriver melting the tip and blowing a breaker. So the whole thing went in the trash and I am now looking for a replacement.

Will this Porter-Cable CMB15 also power a small finish nailer? This might be a nice replacement.

51sAx9mp%2B9L._SY355_.jpg

I was hoping for something smaller. What's the minimum for finish nailers? The PC does 2.0 cfm @90 psi.

If it makes you feel any better, I think it died when it blew the fuse so it was already dead when you jumped it. Unless something were seriously wrong, it wouldn't have blown the tip off a screwdriver.

What size tank are you filling to run the nailer? Nailers don't take much air at all, I run one for a long time off a portable 8-gallon air tank alone, and just carry the tank back to my shop compressor to re-fill it.

I think it'd work fine for a small finish nailer unless you shoot a long string of nails in quick succession. 18ga nailers take 2-3 cfm minimum according to the specs. I'm partial to battery powered finish nailers though. I also like oil filled air compressors.

I think it would be better to have at least a small tank on it... not sure that an inflator could really do the job

The PC has a 1.5 gallon tank built in. I would just be using it for very small nailing jobs, and of course to top off car and bike tires.

From looking at the wiring, it appeared there was a separate DC and AC motor inside the old B&D, and the AC shorted out. I had it for 8 years I got my use out of it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This little one will power a nailer with no problem 3.3 cfm @90 psi. Its an oil lubed pump also.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0

I bought the dual tank version when I bought my house 10 years or so ago... Still works great. Recently took it to a site where I was helping folks install a roof, and people were amazed how quiet it is.

Oiled may not be the best for tires though?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I was hoping for something smaller. What's the minimum for finish nailers? The PC does 2.0 cfm @90 psi.

I once made a portable 'power pack' for a brad nail gun.

I put together one of those cheap 12v tire inflators ($9 at Canadian tire) powered it from a socket I made that accepted 12v cordless drill batteries. A momentary switch was wired in the circuit (a door bell push). The airline was 3' of 1/2" rubber hose with a shraider valve attatched on one end, and a female airline fitting on the other.

To use it I would insert a battery, press the bell push for 2 seconds or so until I had 60 psi in the air line. I could then fire a nail. To recharge the line, I would repeat, but it would only take about a second to recharge

It got so I could estimate the psi level by the sound of the pump.

The whole set-up could hang from my belt, or be slung in a shoulder bag.

Used it on and off for 2-3 years. I lent it to somebody, but never got it back
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
This little one will power a nailer with no problem 3.3 cfm @90 psi. Its an oil lubed pump also.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0

I bought the dual tank version when I bought my house 10 years or so ago... Still works great. Recently took it to a site where I was helping folks install a roof, and people were amazed how quiet it is.

Oiled may not be the best for tires though?

I wouldn't use an inline oiler for tools on it but the oil for the pump lube shouldn't be an issue unless the pump rings were shot and the thing is using oil.

I have the Craftsman equivalent. I have actually have used it for my framing nailer you can knock off a couple of nails before you have to wait for the pressure to build up but all in all it's a great compressor. As far as a brad nailer finish nailer stapler you should not have any problems. I keep mine in the motorhome for filling tires and blowing things off. I have had mine for 8-10 years. I would buy another if that time comes.

Last edited:
That PC 1.5gal is 150psi so it should work fine for your use.

also handy for dusting out computers etc.

Cant run many tools but a nailer should be fine as long as you arent expecting too much.

make sure you follow the break-in instructions (if any)

My newer oil-less unit had me running it for 20min with the drain open for break-in.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
What's the minimum for finish nailers?
I'd suggest looking in your instructions....

This might give you an idea

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-compressor-and-nailer-1991589p.html#.Vry3a5hQ3MI

It all depends on how many nails you shoot,and how fast.

I have used a compressor like the one above with a roofing nail gun for a small job.
But if you go too fast, the compressor can't keep up.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
What's the minimum for finish nailers?
I'd suggest looking in your instructions....

This might give you an idea

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-compressor-and-nailer-1991589p.html#.Vry3a5hQ3MI

It all depends on how many nails you shoot,and how fast.

I have used a compressor like the one above with a roofing nail gun for a small job.
But if you go too fast, the compressor can't keep up.

The one he listed is about 3x as much cfm as that link and 150psi vs 100psi. The tank however is smaller.. but the 150 vs 100 will make up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back