Motul Sport Ester 5w40 vs Gulf Competition 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in trying an ester based synth oil.

Currently look at either Gulf Competition Ester 5w40 or Motul Sport.
The motul sport looks like a new breed somewhere between 300v and X-Cess.

But the gulf comes in at 10 GBP cheaper and is quite a bit thinner 40 weight which I would prefer. The Motul sport 5w40 on paper looks very thick but I wonder if the ester base is better than the motul.

Both from Opie.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I've never used Motul so can't comment on that but I was please with Gulf from Opie. Either of them will be more than adequate so it's more about personal preference or brand loyalty in my eyes.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I've never used Motul so can't comment on that but I was please with Gulf from Opie. Either of them will be more than adequate so it's more about personal preference or brand loyalty in my eyes.

Very true. There's little long term testing with tear downs and lab work of any engine oil over the life of the engine. Also there's the consideration of all the other maintenance, use, environment and driving habits to consider.

It then comes down to picking a suitable viscosity and specs and then move on to personal preference and brand loyalty as suggested by Olas. You can still take his advice even though he drives on the wrong side of the road (lol).

I like that the Gulf is a bit thinner and has a higher starting TBN, and that it's cheaper. I say go for it.

Honestly, I think either would serve you well.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
We here in the states don't get the Motul Sport line until late March or April, according to Motul USA.

What's not clear to me is where the Sport line fits into their product lineup.

Is it above the 8100-series but below 300V?

Originally Posted By: dparm
We here in the states don't get the Motul Sport line until late March or April, according to Motul USA.

Yes that's right I understand. As it's an ester based synthetic but with better additive packages designed for daily use in a road car with longer OCI.

Quote:
TYPE OF USE
Very high performance cars powered by gasoline or
diesel, naturally aspirated or turbocharged multi-
valve injection engines. Tuned engines operating on a wide range of engine speeds and temperatures,
in the most severe driving conditions.
Engines producing medium dilution into the oil.
PERFORMANCES
STANDARDS
API SM
Ester Technology: Ester based formula to ensure outstanding oil film resistance at very high
temperature for maximum horsepower, torque output and wear protection. Oil pressure is stable
whatever the conditions of use.
Very high API (American Petroleum Institute) perf
ormance level for improved oxidation resistance and
deposit protection, better wear protection and low-temperature performance over the life of the oil.
Perfect compatibility with the latest generations of engines requiring lubricant with API SM specification.
The viscosity grade 5W-40 allows excellent oil flow into the engine oil circuit, faster oil pressure set-up
and engine revs rising

Last edited:
I've gone for the Motul Sport. Better suited for more daily road use I understand. API SM also.
Hope the esters in this good oil will help keep the fussy French engine a bit happier!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Did you had the chance to try the Motul sport yet? Hot is the noisy TU going?

Oil just arrived today so hope to get a chance Friday night or Sat. Weather is looking quite cold again! Nothing worse then changing oil in almost sub zero temps!

Did you had the chance to try the Motul sport yet? Hot is the noisy TU going?

Funnily enough our office cleaner has bought a Peugeot 207 (2005) same year for her son and it's making the same noise when cold starting!!
They took it back to the dealer thinking it was bad.
Again they said it's normal for some of the PSA engines to do this!!
frown.gif

Drained and filled with Motul Sport this evening before the sun set (and frost set in)

Wow the total quartz 0w30 came out like water!! I expected it to be a little thicker. I wonder if the lifters drain overnight due to the thin oil?
Well we'll see in the next few days of runnning it.

I use 0W40 in the Barchetta (M1 old formula, prone to shear) and had no lifters noise when I started it after two weeks no use, but I guess some engine are harder on oil than others.
We don't have (yes?) this Motul Sport here, I'm curious what it's worth. I'm also a bit disappointed the Total 0W30 didn't help much your tappet issue...was it very dark when you drained it?

I use 0W40 in the Barchetta (M1 old formula, prone to shear) and had no lifters noise when I started it after two weeks no use, but I guess some engine are harder on oil than others.
We don't have (yes?) this Motul Sport here, I'm curious what it's worth. I'm also a bit disappointed the Total 0W30 didn't help much your tappet issue...was it very dark when you drained it?

Not cheap but what top ester synthetic oil is? Even Castrol is 40 pounds here.
I paid 46 pounds for 5 litres of Motul Sport! pricey but it will stay in the car now for 12 months.

The total quartz 0w30 did come out fairly dark for 3 months light use. It had the forte top end in it too so I didn't want to leave it in long as you never know with additives.

I've got 20 litres of Helix Ultra 5w40 for the other car Skoda Octavia 2.0l (2002). That was super cheap, engine is great on that (auto too). So one compensates for the other
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brit33
Originally Posted By: dparm

Yes that's right I understand. As it's an ester based synthetic but with better additive packages designed for daily use in a road car with longer OCI.

Yes, and it's supposedly not going to be priced as exorbitantly as the 300V line either!
thumbsup2.gif
(An 11+ TBN number would be a GOOD thing!)

well this morning when I started her up with the new oil in it made such a racket like piston slap then after 2 minutes was quiet.

I checked the spark plugs and all were very undertorqued, one of them significantly with some white powder around the rubber boot.

Maybe just maybe this was the sound!! Banging in the thread them once expansion occurs it tightens up. (they were all quite oily too!)
Tightened them all to approx 28Nm. Started up very quietly.
Once it had warmed up this morning the engine was quieter than it had ever been. Very good oil!

Tomorrow fingers crossed again for the cold cold start!

Last edited:
Great news! Did you replace the oil filter too?

yep filter too as the old oil had the additive in it. Just for peace of mind.

We'll see during the next week if anything has been resolved. Anxious to hear it again when stone cold.
(was unnverving this morning when it sounded like piston slap! )

Loving the way the engine sounds now when warmed up. Great oil!

I believe it was beginning to sound quieter when starting up also. Although it was around 11 degrees this morning, not the usual 1-3 degrees like the previous weeks.

Today (12 degrees) starts up brilliantly.

Not sure if its the new ester oil working or just the slightly warmer start up temp. 10 degrees difference make such a difference?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back