Sludged 1zz-fe pic... Ex-fleet car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just one pic. Phone died after first pic, and then I just totally forgot until after I cleaned it up, reassembled, and started the car. 2006 Pontiac Vibe AWD with little over 99k miles on it. Got it at 92k. Little background: it was burning a quart per 100 miles, but after a quart of MMO in the oil that was fixed. Then about five real short OCIs so far. Started with Kendall+MMO, then Mobil super High Mileage, then PYB, something else, then Belgium Castrol 0w30+Liqui Moly. Now has MMO, Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40 (diesel oil??), and an oversized oil filter. That's for those who said that this engine most likely does not have any problems because fleet cars are serviced properly... yea right. This car was a fleet car until 86k miles. Did not touch bottom end and left old Valve Cover Gasket in there because will open it up again in 5k-10k miles and change it then, if the engine is cleaner.

It was rock solid in some spots. soaked everything in Berryman B12, and then MMO. Became soft after that. Then manual cleaning with some blue HD towels and flathead screwdriver. then poured some fresh oil over everything, drained everything out of the drain pan. And changed filter with some new oil.

Yikes, sure hope the Matrix here doesn't look like that. It has seen regular oci's with quality oil though.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Isn't that Vibe a Toyota in Pontiac clothing?

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I am confused. I thought that 1ZZ-FE was a Toyota engine, but you say it is in a Pontiac.

Yes, the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are essentially the same. Since GM and Toyota had a joint venture producing them.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Must have been a real high roller company.

It probably was. Because the car is AWD, comes with all leather, factory mounted subwoofer, and sunroof. But neglected on the maintenance side, but real clean otherwise. Will try to bring it to proper mechanical condition. What's the best diff and transfer case fluid in 75w-90 flavor? Tranny will get some Toyota T-IV fluid next weekend.

Originally Posted By: SanProsan

What's the best diff and transfer case fluid in 75w-90 flavor? Tranny will get some Toyota T-IV fluid next weekend.

I think I'm going to switch out my diff fluid with Amsoil long-life 75W-90. Even with shipping I think it's cheaper than getting royal purple from the auto stores.

If the engine was that bad, I'd say you need to flush the gear cases too... I drain and fill with ATF. Drive around slowly for 20 miles or so. Drain and refill with factory recommended weight in a good national brand.

Had not to good luck with ST in a BMW diff. So I'd go higher than that in the food chain with the refill ...

I heard of flushing the engine with Type F ford atf in the old days, but haven't heard of flushing the transfer cases with ATF... Anyone done it before?

Flush the transfer case with whatever inexpensive gear oil you can grab and then re-fill with your preference. I prefer Valvoline's Gear Oil. I have not seen another high-end gear oil do better (especially given the price). I have had success in other vehicles with Maxlife's ATF, but would not have an issue with Toyota's ATF either if you can get it at a decent price.

Yeah, not all fleet cars are equal. I see some that are maintained and some that are not... but generally, they are better off than most personal vehicles IMO, but you get some bad ones. Normally, the worst are those fleet vehicles assigned to a singular person (who does not care). I had someone not update their vehicle for months and we had to semi-repo the vehicle to get it back and to the PMs.

I heard of flushing the engine with Type F ford atf in the old days, but haven't heard of flushing the transfer cases with ATF... Anyone done it before?

My transfer case takes ATF, so that's what I used
smile.gif

I did flush the gear case in my tractor with #2 diesel, though. and that did a fantastic job of getting the old crud out.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1313467-more-moisture-in-gear-oil.html

.Got it at 92k. Little background: it was burning a quart per 100 miles, but after a quart of MMO in the oil that was fixed. Then about five real short OCIs so far. .................... Did not touch bottom end and left old Valve Cover Gasket in there because will open it up again in 5k-10k miles and change it then, if the engine is cleaner.

MMO must work well then, freeing those stuck rings. Nice. Can't wait to see the "after" pictures! Post pics later please

I apologize to those who followed this thread, but there will be no updates. Because, unexpectedly even for myself, I have sold the car when someone came along and offered more than what I paid for it
laugh.gif

Sucks that I will not be able to tell how well the engine would be cleaned out by now by the magical juice known as Pennzoil 0w40 SM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back