Cabin Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I needed the cabin air filter for a VW so i go to AA for one. He comes out with a cheap Drive Works filter and rings it up at almost $19, one look at it put me right off, it was cheaply made and thin material, no carbon.

I figured OE from the dealer but stopped at NAPA anyway. They had a Hengst OE filter Made in Germany with carbon for $19, the difference in quality is night and day.
AA is getting crazy with their filter prices, its a Purolator house so they are probably the ones with the highest profit margin.
NAPA filter prices are good and the quality is there for the same money.

I did my Lincoln's CF this past summer and through Walmart and a $3 Fram rebate, it cost a net of $15. It didn't look all that impressive to me. But the old was 13 years old and was 75% blocked. It's likely I'll never change it again.

Same experience with a Volvo. I asked him to put it back and went mail/web order (IPD) along with some other parts I needed. I was shocked at the price...

I got an STP from AZ last weekend for my T&C. It looked the same as the factory Chrysler I pulled. About 14.00. RockAuto's cheapest was 6 and change. There is a big price range to choose from.

The game at AA is jack up all your prices and give discount codes and coupons. Some good deals were had when it first started, long gone now. The latest disturbing trend is stocking the cheapest high profit items in store. So they can't lose when you show up with an online 40% off order. I noticed a lot of positive changes in my local NAPA ,a new tool line , online ordering with fast pickup and better service for walk ins.

I use sparkplug.com my Tacoma OEM dealer wanting nearly 30 bucks get same identical filter Denso made for 6.50 it's worth a look.

Engine air filters for my camry are under $3 on rockauto and Advance wants about $15, same with beam wiper blades. Patience is the word.

AA still has good coupon deals on oddball stuff like bags of ten brake tube nuts, wheel weights, and some tools.

AA will also do us the "favor" of putting a $10.29 thermostat on sale for $10.19, blocking coupons access. Chumps.

If it's a car you're going to keep awhile, buy several at a time from RockAuto, they're way cheaper.

Advance auto usually runs a 30 percent up to 50 percent off coupon, and they are still making money on the part.

The markup is insane and the parts are usually poor quality.

That same filter is probably 2 dollars on Rock auto (plus shipping)

They are all getting that way. I can get a Mopar filter cheaper from the dealer than the STP Advanced sells.

Way cheaper to like $7 vs $17.

And here everyone was swooning over AAP getting control of car quest and worldpac. Worse prices I said. "Embrace businesses making profit" others said.

Garbage results. Wonder if you can even order proper first world made filters via AAP/Worldpac anymore?

Napa is still marginally better with some stuff.

Cabin air filters are a forgotten maintenance item on a car. For something replaced every couple (errr...5 yrs...), might as well get a quality filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And here everyone was swooning over AAP getting control of car quest and worldpac. Worse prices I said. "Embrace businesses making profit" others said.

Garbage results. Wonder if you can even order proper first world made filters via AAP/Worldpac anymore?

Napa is still marginally better with some stuff.

Its getting harder to service cars on the same day basis using quality parts, if the dealer doesn't have it in stock you have a problem.
I try to plan ahead for the parts but its not always possible.

Visited AZ when it opened and haven't been back. The help there doesn't know *%#@ about anything except they are very good at BSing each other and watching the clock.

I had a cabin air filter in my VW that was from O'Reillys, as you said, very cheaply made. I ordered a MANN on Amazon for less than O'Reillys and it was fantastic quality.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had a cabin air filter in my VW that was from O'Reillys, as you said, very cheaply made. I ordered a MANN on Amazon for less than O'Reillys and it was fantastic quality.

Good to know since the Camry and prob the Matrix needs a new cabin filter soon. They prob make decent engine air filters as well I'm guessing.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Good to know since the Camry and prob the Matrix needs a new cabin filter soon. They prob make decent engine air filters as well I'm guessing.
Yup, I put a MANN air filter in my Camry a few months ago that I got on Amazon, excellent quality.

You may want to worry about how it is stored.

Like you can get drinks cheap- or you can get one in the ice at a convenience store for five times markup.

Do ya'll buy a 24 pack of hot sodas when you want a cool 16oz over ice before work on a hot summer morning?

That's why I buy as much automotive supplies I can at Walmart to avoid the Auto Part Stores markup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back