Rislone Zinc Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zddp is at low level in nowadays oils and is considered antioxidant, so I believe the op thought it could help in a sludger, respecting dosages. If it is that I think he is fine adding a smidge of it.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Zddp is at low level in nowadays oils and is considered antioxidant, so I believe the op thought it could help in a sludger, respecting dosages. If it is that I think he is fine adding a smidge of it.

But it really isn't at a low level. We've had VOA's of oils from "back in the day" and the levels were very similar to what we are seeing now.

Some of the Euro oils had higher levels, but not the generic North American PCMO's.

Sludge and oxidation resistance are part of the standard testing protocols for a fully formulated lubricant. The odds of you ending up with a superior product by dumping some non-approved dose from OTS that has to pass absolutely none of that testing is extremely low.

If I was going to use a zddp additive it would be Redline, but there's plenty of AW additives in modern oil, some are organic and can't be seen with a $30 VOA/UOA.

The only purpose I can think of for the additive is for getting a break in oil on a rebuilt engine up to the proper level but it would be dumped in short order

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess i just need all the hollow assurance i can get since i'm stuck with this dodge turkeyturd for the foreseeable future & on a fixed income my uoa consists of looking at & smelling the old oil

Rather than add stuff to an average oil, I prefer to buy a better quality full synthetic oil to start with. Not sure what oil you are using, just saying in general it's probably cheaper to buy a better oil and only use that, than to buy an oil and an additive together. Plus you now have a well designed and balanced package.

Most of the ILSAC grade oils have about 800ppm Phos/Zinc levels, but the Euro grade oils like Edge or M1 0W-40 have about 1000ppm Phos/Zinc levels.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Just another option for you

Originally Posted By: hjones
But is it high mileage & extended performance?
smile.gif

Its high-mileage, which means extra seal conditioners. http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/brands-products/Single.aspx?pid=323

Originally Posted By: SR5

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Mobil give you a nice selection of zinc levels, for example

M1 0W-30 AFE, P = 650ppm, Zn = 750ppm
M1 5W-30 EP & Vanilla, P= 800ppm, Zn = 900ppm
M1 5W-30 HM & M1 0W-40, P = 1000ppm, Zn = 1100ppm
M1 5W-40 TDT, P = 1130ppm, Zn = 1250ppm (mixed fleet HDEO)
M1 20W-50 V-Twin, P = 1600ppm, Zn = 1750ppm (SJ motorcycle oil)

The M1 HM in 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 10W40 all has a nominal 1100 ppm zinc. Nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Pontual

But it really isn't at a low level. We've had VOA's of oils from "back in the day" and the levels were very similar to what we are seeing now.

Some of the Euro oils had higher levels, but not the generic North American PCMO's.

Sludge and oxidation resistance are part of the standard testing protocols for a fully formulated lubricant. The odds of you ending up with a superior product by dumping some non-approved dose from OTS that has to pass absolutely none of that testing is extremely low.

Well, just look at race oils, breakin oils, some good API SF SG oils and will see that 1200 plus ppm is the norm. Today SN oils are in the 600 to 800ppm, so its low level. Old times engine oils arent a good argument as antioxidant non sludge comparable oils, IMO, because AW ppm were all over the place back then. Ive seen VOA of old oils and some had plenty and others had none.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If I was going to use a zddp additive it would be Redline, but there's plenty of AW additives in modern oil, some are organic and can't be seen with a $30 VOA/UOA.

The only purpose I can think of for the additive is for getting a break in oil on a rebuilt engine up to the proper level but it would be dumped in short order

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back