Mobil 1 has highest film strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.

It's also the noisiest engine oil with the highest iron wear numbers.

I completely agree! Seen it many times personally and with customer vehicles too!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.

It's also the noisiest engine oil with the highest iron wear numbers.

I completely agree! Seen it many times personally and with customer vehicles too!

Aligning yourself with Merk probably isn't the wisest move...... His posts generally belong in the humour section.

One has to have a sense of humor when discussing RAT's testing ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I know, but I can't think of any other way to get 6 significant digits from a rude test like a timken machine...

Metric to Imperial conversion ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
I know, but I can't think of any other way to get 6 significant digits from a rude test like a timken machine...

Metric to Imperial conversion ?

Those conversions can get you. Sometimes they even cause a spacecraft to burn up in an atmosphere instead of going into orbit.

That is true. Something silly did have to happen to cause numbers like this to be reported.
wink.gif

SR5: That would be another way, combined with the inability to deal with the conversion properly. One would think an engineer would know that 1 inch (to one significant figure only) doesn't convert to 2.54 cm exactly, or even 2.54 cm with three significant figures.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/05698198108982996

Quote:
Abstract
Current emphasis on fuel economy has evoked the desire to reduce lubricant viscosity both to improve fuel mileage and make starting easier with lighter starter systems. The present study was conducted to determine the effect of viscosity on wear under conditions associated with boundary lubrication. Measurements were obtained in a laboratory test designed to simulate the camshaft-lifter contact in an automobile or light truck engine. Viscosity reduction was shown to have a profound effect on wear once a critical viscosity had been reached. In the simulated camshaft-lifter contact, wear prevention appears to be due to a mixture of localized elastohydrodynamic lubrication and surface films formed from the antiwear additive. Loss of either results in excessive wear. The break in the wear-viscosity relationship occurred at 4–5 cSt @ 100 °C. Since this viscosity corresponds to the low end of the SAE 10 grade, it is possible that a 7-1/2W or 5W oil could result in excessive wear. These results suggest that any proposed low viscosity oil should undergo careful testing for its wear properties.

Endeavouring to find the complete paper, as am interested in whether it was multi or monogrades that they tested (big difference in High shear and EHD)...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/05698198108982996

Quote:
Abstract
Current emphasis on fuel economy has evoked the desire to reduce lubricant viscosity both to improve fuel mileage and make starting easier with lighter starter systems. The present study was conducted to determine the effect of viscosity on wear under conditions associated with boundary lubrication. Measurements were obtained in a laboratory test designed to simulate the camshaft-lifter contact in an automobile or light truck engine. Viscosity reduction was shown to have a profound effect on wear once a critical viscosity had been reached. In the simulated camshaft-lifter contact, wear prevention appears to be due to a mixture of localized elastohydrodynamic lubrication and surface films formed from the antiwear additive. Loss of either results in excessive wear. The break in the wear-viscosity relationship occurred at 4–5 cSt @ 100 °C. Since this viscosity corresponds to the low end of the SAE 10 grade, it is possible that a 7-1/2W or 5W oil could result in excessive wear. These results suggest that any proposed low viscosity oil should undergo careful testing for its wear properties.

Endeavouring to find the complete paper, as am interested in whether it was multi or monogrades that they tested (big difference in High shear and EHD)...

Can one interpret excessive wear occurs at an operating viscosity of below 4-5 cSt in typical valve train?

At slightly higher than 5 cSt operating viscosity, wear there is ... but not excessive?

zeng,
dunno...I don't know whether there's a step, a slope, or whether they used Newtonian fluids...

But am dying to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back