Change PP after 1000 mi 6 month Short Winter Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Sounds like a good plan but what are you trying to save with the 4 oci fci?

Are you using an oil extractor or other procedure where the filter change is going to add considerably to your maintenace in labor or time?

Basically, yes. I can change my oil without even jacking up the car, but the oil filter is a pain by comparison. I'd need to jack up the car and put down a pan to do the filter due to the dripping. The filter aims downward and is nearer to the top of the engine, and so oil gets everywhere on the 1mzfe engine when the filter is changed. So I need to clean the engine a bit with a filter change. Here is a video...
https://youtu.be/XEg7-FYFbvo?t=1m29s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: meborder
With your yearly mileage, I would change it in the spring and run it for 12 months.

But, I'm not familiar with the tendencies of that particular engine, so take that for what its worth. But with that being said, if you get another 100k out of your car and find out it has built up some sludge, is anyone really going to care?

+1 on this. If you've got no sludge in that motor, then I think you'd be OK with a one year OCI. As others have mentioned the UOA will give you peace of mind.
I wouldn't waste my money on expensive synthetics for such short mileage. You can use a cheaper synthetic for 1000 miles and 1 year.

The options I was considering are (a) to do 6mo OCIs (1000 miles in the fall/winter 6 months and 3-4k miles in the spring/summer 6 months) or (b) to do just do 12 months/4-5k miles OCIs. I am using synthetics for a number of reasons...

1. With rebates and sales, synthetics cost very little.
2. Synthetics seems to help a lot with cold starts below zero to -20 F. Winter here is very cold and very long.
3. Synthetics seem to help with what I call "winter mayonnaise" in my oil. There have been a few threads about winter mayonnaise motor oil lately on BITOG. Basically moisture mixes with oil and looks like mayonnaise at cold temps.

Given 1,2, & 3 I will likely stick with synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back