tires wearing prematurely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 57,000 miles out of my stock Michelins, now this set of Michelins I've barely made it to 40,000 miles. What gives?

OEM tires are often not quite the same as the same model tire purchased after the fact, so that might explain part of it. The other question comes to: have your driving habits or usage of the truck (towing, etc.) changed?

If they're worn evenly, it's probably not an issue with the truck, but either the tires not being identical to the first set or a difference in how they're being used that's causing faster wear.

Will loose front end parts cause them to wear? All four are worn evenly, just the wore out fast.

My 03 4Runner came with Michelin Cross Terrains that lasted 80K miles. The CT's were not longer available and the Michelin replacements only lasted 40K miles with 2 being replaced for uneven wear along the way. So now I have Firestone Destination II's.

Those original Cross Terrains were good tires, good in the rain and on dirt roads over rocks and ruts. They were completely quiet on the freeway, too. But, they are no longer available.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Will loose front end parts cause them to wear? All four are worn evenly, just the wore out fast.

All 4 worn evenly? No worries about front end. How often did you rotate?

Did you buy the exact same Michelins that came on it originally? I also agree about driving style....

What is the model of the replacement tires? Do they have a mileage warranty?

If they do, and they're evenly worn, you can probably get a warranty adjustment when they are worn out.

Michelin has had tread wear related concerns on some of their models. I have steered away from Michellin due to that. Check the tread wear rating on the model you bought and see how it compares to mfr expected life.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I got 57,000 miles out of my stock Michelins, now this set of Michelins I've barely made it to 40,000 miles. What gives?

What vehicle are you talking about?
Are the new Michelins the same model as the old ones?
Have you had your suspension serviced/maintained/aligned?

Some of the Michelin H rated tires won't last as long as the OEM tires but have better speed and traction ratings. I will get about the same mileage for both sets of tires: around 35,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back