What weight in 9mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

JUST NO to any of the Hornady rounds with the polymer tip.

Why?
21.gif

I'm not impressed with its performance. I'm not impressed that the company advertises incessantly. I'm not impressed that the company incessantly markets and advertises sub-par ammo.

I SPECIFICALLY took into account the OP's gun which has a 3.3 inch barrel when I made my ammo suggestion. These ammo choices below WILL offer excellent, top of the market performance. If he wants to shoot a sub-par ammo in his G43, than by all means, shoot a polymer tip round from Hornady.

I know a lot of guys get worked up when I say this, and that is OK. Hornady rounds are EXCELLENTLY marketed and their distribution network is second to none. They are thus in the hands of a lot of shooters for that reason. Doesn't make them the BEST, or even middle of the pack.

what I recommend for him:
Speer Gold Dot 124+p
Federal HST 124+P, 147, or 147+p

You still haven't given any facts or links, just opinion. Not saying the observations you've made over the course of whatever it is you do were flukes- only that you have not given any hard data, no links to test, no links to studies... nothing. So right now what you've said carries no more weight than any other Joe Blow.

I've never been a huge fan of the polymer tip bullets either. I have carried Anerican Gunner 124gr +p XTP though.

The XTP has serious credibility with hunters. It does wonders on deer loaded in .44mag and .357mag.

I imagine that bullet in a handgun load would have no problem stopping a human at self defense ranges. Expansion isn't huge but it's reliable and penetrates well. 16" in ballistic gel.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
If you had a Glock 43 for concealed carry, what weight in 9mm would you carry? I am leaning towards 135 grain, but not sure what others recommend and why. Thoughts and educated opinions welcome

If you get some Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Got Dot, or some other good name brand self defense ammo, bullet weight will not really matter.

People stress so much over bullet weight, caliber, etc., just train with your firearm of choice and make sure it is reliable, clean, and use factory magazines.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
If you had a Glock 43 for concealed carry, what weight in 9mm would you carry? I am leaning towards 135 grain, but not sure what others recommend and why. Thoughts and educated opinions welcome

If you get some Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Got Dot, or some other good name brand self defense ammo, bullet weight will not really matter.

People stress so much over bullet weight, caliber, etc., just train with your firearm of choice and make sure it is reliable, clean, and use factory magazines.

+1 great dose of common sense. I would NOT want to be shot with any grain of 9mm. Neither would anyone that one may need to defend against.

Last edited:
Go look up the ballistics testing by "tnoutdoors9" and especially "ShootingTheBull410". The latter did an extensive series of tests SPECIFICALLY in an attempt to find the best possible performing 9mm ammunition FOR SHORT-BARRELED PISTOLS.

I'll even save you having to watch all the videos - Federal HST won. Pretty much doesn't matter what weight projectile. It all works awesome. It's the top-performing self-defense round available right now. Speer Gold Dot is pretty much the runner-up.

Personally, right now my EDC is a Sig P938 (3" barrel), with 124-gr. +P Speer Gold Dot loaded by Underwood Ammunition. Advertised 1225 FPS, so it'll be a bit lower than that out of my 3" barrel.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I'll even save you having to watch all the videos - Federal HST won.

Yep, I researched a ton and watch a lot of test videos and came up with what I consider the top 3 in this order:

1) Federal HST
2) Winchester Ranger Talon (if you can find it)
3) Speer Gold Dot

Golden Sabre should be the bonded variety. The old school non bonded suffers from quite a problem with jacket separation in most calibers.

Golden Sabers and Hydra Shoks are both pretty old school, but I would put the Sabers way above the Federals.

Hydra Shoks are plagued with failures to expand in multiple tests. Golden Sabers will over expand or even shed their jacket under the right conditions but the damage they do is immense if you start looking at wound channels.

Bonded GS are hard to find. There is a new GS version called "Black Belt" out now but I haven't seen anything on them. They look interesting however.

CCI/Federal/Speer = ATK

The second article suggests that Federal and Speer are "sister companies." Interesting. I've not heard that before.

Speer Gold Dot 115gr +p+ or their 124gr +p

Federal HST 124gr +p or 147gr +p

I think i saw a review by a magazine on Speer's "short barrel" ammo. The test could not find much difference between regular or "short barrel" versions when shot out of a short barrel handgun.

ATK is combined into Vista Outdoor
Originally Posted By: GeorgeKaplan
CCI/Federal/Speer = ATK

The second article suggests that Federal and Speer are "sister companies." Interesting. I've not heard that before.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Here's a great gel test review including 9mm done just a few months ago, and they used a 3.5" barrel gun for the tests:

Thanks for the link to Luckygunner, good stuff.

I bookmarked it myself. There is one point of mention. For the four layer denim test to be valid, it needs to be of a certain type of denim. And it NEVER, EVER was or is supposed to simulate clothing. The FLD test is used because it plugs hollow points and prevents expansion like no other medium tested. I bring this up because on that site they mentioned "to simulate clothing" and I could not find what "fabric" they use for their tests.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Here's a great gel test review including 9mm done just a few months ago, and they used a 3.5" barrel gun for the tests:

Thanks for the link to Luckygunner, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back