Run Oversized Fram Ultra 25k & Multiple OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to run my 98 1mzfe with PP HM 5w30 5000 per OCI on a 12 month schedule with an oversized Fram Ultra XG3600. I plan to run the oversized Fram Ultra 20000 miles (4 OCIs or so). Other BITOGers here seem to have had good luck running that filter 25000 miles with multiple OCIs.

Anyone here run an oversized Fram Ultra 25k and/or on multiple OCIs? Noticed any problems?

I would NOT do that with 97+ 1MZ's! They have sludge issues. In your case, I'd change the filter every year and use a top-tier synthetic. You probably should change the PCV valve annually also.

I wouldn't do it either, although there probably wouldn't be an issue. With that engine it's a lot more about the oil than the filter.

I agree with the top-tier synthetic and I'd say just buy some OEM Toyota filters on eBay and change them out every time. Forget the oversized filter, it's not going to get you anything.

My 98 1mzfe has 205k on it, and does not leak any oil. I've changed all fluids regularly for the last 10 years (Maxlife ATF, Maxlife oil, bleeding brakes, new toyota red, etc.). I change the PVC valve regularly, and it is always clean. I changed the valve cover gaskets last year, and it was clean as a whistle under there. I have changed the oil/filter in the last 10 years at 3k 6 month intervals with Maxlife blend and M1 filters.

So although the 98 1mzfe is famous for sludge, mine looks basically like this under the valve cover (note this is not my engine, but it looks like this)... http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/hyperv...f88931.jpg.html

So I'm not worried at all about sludge. I have read that this engine likes to shear oil, so 10-15k OCIs aren't a good idea, but 5k should be good over 12 months with synthetic. So I was thinking that under these conditions, an oversized Fram Ultra run at 20k should be good on PP HM synthetic on 12 mo/5k OCIs. But I wanted to check with others' experiences on this as well.

Last edited:
The oversized filter won't harm anything but it's not going to help anything either. I guess I'm not understanding what the point is in leaving the filter on for 4 OCIs, in your case that would be four years. I don't know any filter manufacturer that would back a 4-year old filter.

But like I said it's not about the filter with these engines, it's about the oil so maybe it would be fine. I've cut open a bunch of filters in my 330,000+ miles and they have been completely unremarkable. But I've changed them on the interval with the oil so I really don't know what an extended filter interval would be like, nor do I care to find out.

Are you trying to save $12 over four years?

Sounds like your plan is sound and reasonable. The filter will become a little more efficient and your oil changes will be simple.
The synthetic media and silicone adbv should easily last a few years. Just visually check the filter for rust on the outside of the can once in a while.

Here is my reasoning...

I enjoy changing the engine oil but I dislike changing the filter on the 1mzfe, since the filter points down and makes a mess all over the engine. It is 10x easier for me to just change the oil. The Fram Ultra in theory goes 15k, and if I can avoid changing the filter I will be happy. And if I can save a couple of bucks by using it to 15-20k, then that is fine too.

I'd do it. If the engine is clean, and with stable oil I would be comfortable. I wanted to do the same on my IS but there is no ultra for my car.

What do people think about doing this on the 2JZ-GE engine? I usually run at least 2 OCI's on my fram ultras, thinking about going even more if I switch to the oversized XG3600. If the regular XG3614 is rated to 15k, one would think the 3600 could go for 20-25k in engines that normally use the 3614.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
What do people think about doing this on the 2JZ-GE engine? I usually run at least 2 OCI's on my fram ultras, thinking about going even more if I switch to the oversized XG3600. If the regular XG3614 is rated to 15k, one would think the 3600 could go for 20-25k in engines that normally use the 3614.

The XG3600 media is much larger, but all the other specs are the same as the smaller filters for a 1mzfe.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What if the filter fails midway in you oil change interval?

It is guaranteed to 15k by Fram. I put my hope in that.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda

Guaranteed up to 15,000 miles. What does the guarantee actually mean?

On their website it says they have tested it and its efficiency (filtering at 1 pass) and capacity (holding onto what it has filtered) are still well within specs at 15k.

Originally Posted By: Chewie

XG3600 is about 50% longer than a XG3614. I'd say 20k miles is about the limit for me, used on a car that spec'ed the 3614 in the first place, and knowing Fram estimates it'll go 15k miles.
I'd only do it on a filter that uses a silicon ADBV, which this has.

On their website it says they have tested it and its efficiency (filtering at 1 pass) and capacity (holding onto what it has filtered) are still well within specs at 15k.

Not 1-pass. The standard industry tests, and of course field tests and years of experience, use multi-pass, circulating oil. When they say the Ultra gets 99% of particles out above 20 microns, they mean on multiple passes in a standardized ISO test. The dirt holding capacity is how much it can trap before clogging.

Who's website? The efficiency is based on ISO 4548-12, which is a multi-pass test.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Not 1-pass. The standard industry tests, and of course field tests and years of experience, use multi-pass, circulating oil. When they say the Ultra gets 99% of particles out above 20 microns, they mean on multiple passes in a standardized ISO test. The dirt holding capacity is how much it can trap before clogging.

Fram *defines* "efficiency" in terms of 1 pass, and in one test they measure this in just one pass. See these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttLaWepdL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpkvsnKKNg

However, they also test efficiency in multi pass in a standardized ISO test.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back