Whole house water filtration types of set ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a house a little ways out in the sticks. I have a well, and the water is just on the lowest side of hard. The magnesium is up there some and leaves stains on the toilets.

I wanted to know what type of systems others have on their houses.

I have a particulate filter even tho I have city water. There were cast iron pipes from years ago and it caught plenty of rust. The house is the last on a dead end street and wasn't used for 2 1/2 years; i think the lack of use contributed to it but IDK. Any water I drink, i use a brita activated charcoal filter.

Last edited:
We have a ge whole house filter on the main inlet. Also a filter in the fridge. I'm not sure the first need be one with lots of removal, given our municipal water quality. We'd probably be fine with just the particulate filter.

This is what we have, I believe. The filter type is interchangeable. If your water is really bad, you might put two in series, one with particulate filtering, the next with an adsorption media.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-in-High-Flow-...71274-100669051

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
The magnesium is up there some and leaves stains on the toilets.

If it looks like rust....that's Iron. I have whole house filter and a soft water tank and I still have rust (Iron) stains in my toilet.

I figured it was rust as well. But the water test says magnesium.
Originally Posted By: Warstud

If it looks like rust....that's Iron. I have whole house filter and a soft water tank and I still have rust (Iron) stains in my toilet.

I figured it was rust as well. But the water test says magnesium.
Originally Posted By: Warstud

Could it be rust from from the toilet itself? Like a rusty chain in the tank or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back