TGMO came out reddish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the Camry's oil yesterday and noticed while it was draining it had a reddish hue to it. I guess that is normal?

I put the last of my TGMO stash in.

It was in there for 4500 miles. Change early due to the winter short tripping.

Its cleaning varnish deposits. No VM on newer transmissions, even if there were one it would get sucked into the intake and burned while running not the engine oil sump.

I've noticed the oil coming out of my Toyota has a reddish look too.

Been using PU though not TGMO. It's a higher mileage engine and I assumed it was cleaning old varnish.

Look on your receipt, last time I took my RAV4 in for service and oil change I notice they snuck in some kind of oil stabilizer as part of the "package". My oil came out reddish too and I'm guessing that's the culprit. I hate when places sneak stuff in like that. I don't go back afterwards,

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Well, with 26k mikes, the red tint couldnt be varnish in this case then ...

I hope not but you never know.......

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Reddish might mean that the vacuum modulator is leaking pulling in tranny fluid ...
I don't think my Camry has a vacuum modulator. All the gear shifting is being controlled by electric solenoids.

My Toyota Tacoma oil changes always seemed to come out a bit redish colored when I was under the vehicle and observing light through the oil as it came out. Never really thought twice about it. Didn't have any problems with the vehicle. Just redish hue to oil as it was draining.

Oxidation in synthetic oil is different in color than dino. It stays in reddish for mroe time instead of going quickly to brown.

Thanks guys. The sun was shining through it. it did have a brownish red hue.
We bought this used. Not sure what oil the previous owner used. It was a lease car.

This is the third time I have changed it since buying, all changes were TGMO.

Guess it is cleaning it up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its cleaning varnish deposits. No VM on newer transmissions, even if there were one it would get sucked into the intake and burned while running not the engine oil sump.

Yep, varnish is red to start with.

My buddies 2001 Ford pickup was overdue for an oil change and it had a reddish hue. Only time I've ever seen that.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Just for (maybe) interest, here's Varnish in it's natural form without soot and the likes collecting in it.

The stuff only gets laid down once the oil can hold no more, so tends to get laid down in areas where the oil temperatures are lower.

That electrostatic machine pulls the varnish out of the oil, and the oil then resolves the laid down varnish, cleaning it up.Other techniques use ion exchange resins, and a few use an activated cellulose depth media.

I would love to somehow make one (the electrostatic) that would work on IC engines.

The oil always has an auburn tone to it on the Focus when it comes out. Never thought anything of it. Short or long intervals, it's always auburn.

In my Jeep the oil is always black when it comes out

Just for (maybe) interest, here's Varnish in it's natural form without soot and the likes collecting in it.

The stuff only gets laid down once the oil can hold no more, so tends to get laid down in areas where the oil temperatures are lower.

That electrostatic machine pulls the varnish out of the oil, and the oil then resolves the laid down varnish, cleaning it up.Other techniques use ion exchange resins, and a few use an activated cellulose depth media.

I would love to somehow make one (the electrostatic) that would work on IC engines.

Agree as possible varnish cleaning in this case, and also could add that the polar solvent fractions in synthetic engine oils also help in the removal and dissolving of varnish at high flow high temperatures areas, like some esters, as I learnt from Capt. Mr. Molakule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back