Rislone Zinc Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding extra zinc to your oil will throw off the delicately balanced additive package the highly paid chemist's at your favorite oil company worked so hard to make. You may gain one thing with something but you may drastically hurt another.

There's so many areas they have to formulate for I wouldn't touch that additive with a ten foot poll. 99% of oil additives are junk the only two I recommend are liqui moly motor oil saver or ATP 205 if you have leaky dried seals. Pretty much any performance additive is a wallet lightener.

Always been skeptical about additives but since newer oils are relatively low in zddp , I've used this at about 1/3 rd recommende dose in my 2005 dodge 2.7 L (notorious for sludge related problems) thanks for your reply

I have a lot of bottles of Rislone ZDDP Additive from the older days when I used to blend my own high performance add packs for flat tappet cams. I use a little now and then or give it to my friends who are building a new low budget engine.

IF I were into using it up, I'd be all over adding a bottle to SuperTech Wally World oil. The ST has decent base stocks, but is likely skimpy on the add pak to make their price point.

Rislone makes good products. you just need to be able to use them where they make sense ...
smile.gif

Rislone makes ZDDP additives and engine conditioner additives (cleaners), which are we talking about here...

Last edited:
Not specified but the recommendation is a full bottle for pre 1997 & 1/2 bottle for 1997-2004

Rislone is now owned by Bars Products,kings of crushed glass and metal shavings/powders for coolant stop leak.

Originally Posted By: hjones
shipping is $25
smile.gif
. (Actually costs $9 at Advance)

The unespected shipping kills the donation, man! Z:)

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Rislone is now owned by Bars Products,kings of crushed glass and metal shavings/powders for coolant stop leak.

I've stopped a few leaks with their products over the past few decades.

Always been skeptical about additives but since newer oils are relatively low in zddp , I've used this at about 1/3 rd recommende dose in my 2005 dodge 2.7 L (notorious for sludge related problems) thanks for your reply

What happens when our non-zinc AW additives become so cheap that ZDDP is eliminated?

I can see it now - all of those extra RR tankloads of ZDDP are pulled into a building, drained, rebottled, and re-branded as some OTC or aftermarket Engine Saver.
shocked2.gif

I added zinc, molybdenum & titanium to my oil- I fully expect the odometer to begin rolling backward soon

I added zinc, molybdenum & titanium to my oil- I fully expect the odometer to begin rolling backward soon

Kendall GT-1 already has all three of those in it, in significant amounts.

Does the 2.7L have flat lifters with extremely high spring pressures? No? Then why the concern about ZDDP levels?

If you are concerned about an engine with sludge-related issues the last thing you should be doing is "dosing" the carefully balanced lubricant, potentially upsetting that balance, with some "Wizard in a Can" as Trav would call it.

Thanks, sensible advice. The 2.7 is known for the timing chain failures & sludge problems, maybe i'm being a little superstitious

IIRC, wasn't the sludge issue a product of coolant getting into the oil? If so, then nothing that goes in the sump is going to prevent sludge as the result of that contamination. Keeping an eye on it and doing a periodic UOA to check for coolant is likely the safest course of action there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back