What are some time tested, bulletproof tr. engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the title limit gets shorter every time I post a thread... Anyway, what are some recent (Ram/Chevy preferably) gas truck engines that have been proven to generally be pretty bulletproof in a work truck/constant towing setting as long as they're maintained with standard stuff like oil changes? I'm talking about towing maybe up to 8000 pounds, but most likely only about 2000-3000 regularly.

Last edited:
Problem is that many of the time-tested bullet-proof engines are no longer in production, such as the Chrysler slant six or the Ford 300 cubic inch (4.9L) inline six.

I know you said Chevy/Ram(Dodge) but the Ford 6.2 is proven.

In the Ram side of the house, it's hit or miss with the Hemi; some show great durability and others have nagging issues. But the 5.7 that's in the HD pickups does NOT have the MDS so from my reading online seems the more reliable choice.

edit: missed Chevrolet, I know bupkus there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Problem is that many of the time-tested bullet-proof engines are no longer in production

This. Seems nowadays everything is disposable and replaceable. Whereas people used to hang on to cars forever,they now trade them in regularly like clockwork.

Ford 5.4 (if it doesn't spit plugs) is reliable. As is the V10. Ford 6.2. Ford 5.0 seems to be decent for the past 5 years. As is the EB 3.5

350 Chevy and it's derivatives. 6.0 Chevy is also good. 8.1L can be good but THIRSTY.

There is a reason the vast majority of work trucks are Ford or GM. Reliable and cheap.

Last edited:
Honestly, other than a few issues here and there (plenum gasket failures on Dodge 5.2s / 5.9s and spark plug blowout on some of the Fords), I can't think of a modern-ish truck V8 / V10 that hasn't been reliable. The TT V6 Fords have been pretty solid too.

The only ones I'd actively avoid are the plug spitting years of the Fords.

Last edited:
I have a friend with a 2004 Ford 5.4 Triton and it's got a lot of issues with 150K miles. Timing chain, guides, lifters, 1 cam phaser and exhaust manifold. Stay away from that. I would say the best for the money, gas mileage, towing capability is the Chevy 4.8, second choice is the Dodge 5.7. I have a 4.3 and it tows my 3,000# boat ok. Note that although the 4.3 is bulletproof, it is not the best if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy towing. It's fine as a daily driver w/occasional towing though. I average 18-19 mpg with 20-22 on a trip. Pretty decent if you don't need lots of power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back