Eye Watering HeadCold ! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My teenage son has a wicked snotty head cold. And the worst is the eye watering. Its debilitating him. I suffered this about once a year for most of my adult life.

It's 2016! There isnt ANY help for it nor even any scientific explaination for what mechanisims are at work causing this piercing stinging eye watering. I can read about mitochondria and aging and weight gain and all that but nearly nothing other than , " Oh, ya know thats just a "Cold" on this eye watering issue.

I welcome all ideas, homeopathic or otherwise. However please realize this is a young teen, so tea bags soaked with anise oil will likely not be going up his nostrils or as a suppository, LOL.

Does he suffer from sinus or ear infections? I had to go to the dr last night after work to get antibiotics for an ear infection. Sound like he gets the same stuff I get when I get these horrible sinus/ear infections. When I get them,antibiotics are the only thing that makes them go away. 30 min after I took my first antibiotic I was 99% better. A week's worth of over the counter stuff did absolutely nothing.

Have you tried Mucinex?

It won't make the cold completely go away, but it will reduce the severity of the cold to something more tolerable.

The cold will have to run its normal course of days before it will go away, but Mucinex really makes it tolerable.

Typically no infections for him.

But hey, your experience brings something up. Maybe its the mucousy stuffy runny sneezy part that presses a nerve in sinuses thus making for the eye watering.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Have you tried Mucinex?

It won't make the cold completely go away, but it will reduce the severity of the cold to something more tolerable.

The cold will have to run its normal course of days before it will go away, but Mucinex really makes it tolerable.

Have not tried that. Thought it was for clogged chest coughs. Will look at its affect on nose problem colds.

Dr also told me that while I'm on the antibiotics to take something like Jim said,Mucinex D,etc,and to use something like Afrin too. Need to clear it all out so it doesn't accumulate which causes the pain and pressure in the sinuses,ears,etc.

Try a neti pot. I use one to rinse my sinuses when im sick.not perfect but clears nasal congestion to keep the nasal mucus thin and it doesnt require pills. Combine with decongestant and blow nose lightly. A bowl of boiling water with ur head over it and a towel over your head helps too..and of course keep hydrated lots of fluids and chicken soup. I use cold fx too..and vitamin c. I used to get colds 3-4 times a year so im used to dealing with rough ones.

I just got over a rather nasty head cold, worse this year than in the past! I used a warm mist humidifier every night with the vicks pads that you insert into this particular humidifier. Also took the Mucinex DM Maximum Strength 1200mg guaifenesin $ 60mg dextromethorphan twice per day (each pill lasts 12 hrs). I also drank a ton of hot herbal tea. Cold was gone in a week!

Maybe not while he's got a cold, but net pot FTW.

I use a quart squeeze sauce bottle, 2tsp salt, 1 top baking soda, 1 top xylitol, drop of baby shampoo, 6 drops iodine, 6 drops theatre oil, and filled with pre boiled water.

Stand over the bath, and squeeze away.

In an emergency, snuffing a pinch of cayenne will clear the pressure fast.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I use a quart squeeze sauce bottle, 2tsp salt, 1 top baking soda, 1 top xylitol, drop of baby shampoo, 6 drops iodine, 6 drops theatre oil, and filled with pre boiled water.

Now THAT is D.I.Y. ! Awesome.

Probably a sinus infection. If you don't want to take him to the doctor and deal with all of that you can drop by an urgent care. They'll prescribe antibiotics if necessary.

Every cold I get turns into a sinus infection. With school aged kids I get them pretty often. I flush my sinuses with salty water by inhaling it from a cup. Neti pot idea really works with salty water. Doc says if that didn't work it would require surgical intervention.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Was using my phone when I typed that...

2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda (Bicarb), 1 tsp xylitol. a drop of baby shampoo (non stinging surfactant), 6 drops of iodine, 6 of tea tree oil.

I'd use the same brew in a Neti pot, but the squirt bottle packs more punch.

And I'm serious about the cayenne, but you need a terminator like resolve to use it.

Don't forget that both bacterial and viral infections can spread to the eyes. (causing pink eye) or simply red irritated eyes.

If it's bacterial, you must get it treated. It can lead to blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back