Which 0w-20 would you pick? (Based on specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listing the specs (but not the brands) of several 0w-20 oils to see what you would pick and why. Where I live, morning winter temps may dip into the 20s F but daytime summer temps will regularly be in the high 90s to lower 100s F.

OCI will be 10,000 miles for a 2014 Lexus GS350. Traveled miles are typically 70% highway, 30% city/stop & go.

Oil A
Viscosity 100 C: 8.6
Viscosity 40 C: 44.9
VI: 173
Density (D4052): 0.839
HTHS: 2.7

Oil B
Viscosity 100 C: 8.7
Viscosity 40 C: 45.1
VI: 161
Density (D4052): 0.865
HTHS: 2.6

Oil C
Viscosity 40 C: 47
VI: 168
Density (D1298): 0.845

Oil D
Viscosity 100 C: 7.5
Viscosity 40 C: 40
VI: 158
Density (unknown standard): 0.850
HTHS: not listed

Based on these numbers, is there enough of a difference among them to choose one over the others? Or should I look at other factors besides specs to make a choice? (Like a low price
grin.gif
)

Last edited:
None. @ least 5w30 for me. If fuul syn with a vi of 170 or more. If semi, 10w40, if dino 15w40...

Last edited:
Those specs aren't the end all. Use Mobil 1 or PP, in my opinion these are the top 2 synthetics currently available OTC.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Those specs aren't the end all. Use Mobil 1 or PP, in my opinion these are the top 2 synthetics currently available OTC.

+1

Originally Posted By: gregk24

+1 - get one of these at Walmart and you will be fine. Get a quality filter to go 10k miles, not all are up to that task.

Originally Posted By: tam92
Or should I look at other factors besides specs to make a choice? (Like a low price
grin.gif
)

For 10K OCI, you might want to look at TBN/add pack.

Spec's are just a starting point. Certs are worth considering as well. Sticking with name brands makes it difficult to make a bad selection.

Other maintenance considerations need to be addressed, too.

For components protection, first I would go for highest HTHS at 2.7 cP .... thus narrow down to oils A or C ; then

b )go for highest KV@100*C ... at 8.7 cSt .... thus select oil C which happens to possess another plus of higher KV@40*C of 47 cSt.

I won't look at VI , and I don't quite understand the significance of density in oil performance.

Oils A, B, C are essentially identical from those specs. Then again, you're leaving out 3/4 of the other specs that matter as well. We don't even know what vehicle it's going in. Is the manufacturer specifying a 0w-20 for your climate? At 20 def F a 5W is fine for where you are.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Oils A, B, C are essentially identical from those specs. Then again, you're leaving out 3/4 of the other specs that matter as well. We don't even know what vehicle it's going in. Is the manufacturer specifying a 0w-20 for your climate? At 20 def F a 5W is fine for where you are.

"OCI will be 10,000 miles for a 2014 Lexus GS350. Traveled miles are typically 70% highway, 30% city/stop & go."

I'd pick oil C.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Or should I look at other factors besides specs to make a choice? (Like a low price
grin.gif
)

For 10K OCI, you might want to look at TBN/add pack.

I've seen TBN as low as 7.1 on some 0w-20s, and as high as 12.6. What is a good TBN value range to consider over a 10K mile OCI?

To answer your original question and based solely on the information presented, I'd use Oil A based on VI and HTHS advantages. But completely agree that there are TBN and other considerations. How about this one:

Viscosity 40 C: 46.6
VI: 167
NOACK: 10
TBN: 12.5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
To answer your original question and based solely on the information presented, I'd use Oil A based on VI and HTHS advantages. But completely agree that there are TBN and other considerations. How about this one:

Amsoil Signature Series. I recognized the high TBN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

I recognized Amsoil Signature Series with the 12.5 TBN.

SHHH!
grin.gif

Last edited:
....darn edit time.

or XL series....

And in your climate you could probably also go with a 5w20.

From my experience, there isn't a set TBN that you need to achieve 10K since not every oil's TBN drops the same way, and again every engine may not be the same.

For my cars, I found that a good baseline was to search for other vehicles that use the same engine and look for UOAs. I believe that Lexus uses the 2GR-FSE, which is found in many other Lexus and Toyotas.

Here's one for the IS that uses the same engine:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/380291-official-blackstone-uoa-thread.html

Note: the 2GR-FE is different than the FSE, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FSE

To be honest, I think that any of the larger brands of 0W20 will work fine for your use, pennzoil, mobil, quaker state, etc. I would use the cheapest synthetic 0W20.

You will undoubtedly receive many opinions as well responses stating that you cannot use specifications as the only way to choose an oil.

Oil A (which appears to be M1 EP) and Oil C are probably the "best" in your posted list (if there can be a best).

What about this one:

Oil E
Viscosity 40 C: 44.9
VI: 173
Density (D4052): 0.841
TBN: 8.8

It is M1 AFE and is a popular 0W-20 oil on the market when considering all points (including price). I ran it for over 15K in my 2010 FX4 with great results. With that said though, these days most any of them will suffice for a 10K OCI with 70% highway miles. Pick the cheapest one you can find and go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back