M1 0W-20 EP / 15,745 mi oci / 2004 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil had been in there since Oct/Nov 2014. During the week the car sees only short trips and on Saturday it goes on a 150 mile round trip. The car gets driven HARD some weekends for long periods of time so I think the chromium may be a result of the viscosity being too low for this type of use with all the fuel.

This sample was taken on a Thursday so I went for a 15 miles highway drive to remove any excess fuel. I thought it would be long enough but it still shows high. Next time I'll sample after the long-trip, if it's still high I'll replace the injectors.

Despite the 2qt top up (4.5qt sump) over the oci I think the oil did well. I asked them to run TBN/TAN and oxidation a second time because I couldn't believe it. OEM filter was run for the entire oci. I had intended to replace somewhere in the middle but I forgot; this time I put a Fram Ultra. M1 0W-20 went back in but I'll top up with 5W-30 having seen this and run the oil longer. Next time will switch to M1 0W-30.

Previous owner happens to be a user here, his samples for the engine are below.

nx3wpi.jpg

04ACCORD-081013-page-001_zpsfbe5cd24.jpg

Last edited:
0w20 with almost 50% makeup, cant go to warrantied mileage was the fuel dilution the culprit? Got varnish or sludge?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
0w20 with almost 50% makeup, cant go to warrantied mileage was the fuel dilution the culprit? Got varnish or sludge?

You can go LONGER if you have make up oil.

My dad has an 06 Accord 3.0L. I believe his capacity is 4.7 quarts, he puts the whole 5 quart jug in when changing the oil. If it were mine I would put 5 in too. I would also top off when it's a 1/2 quart low rather than 1.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Originally Posted By: Pontual

You can go LONGER if you have make up oil.

No kidding!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
My dad has an 06 Accord 3.0L. I believe his capacity is 4.7 quarts, he puts the whole 5 quart jug in when changing the oil. If it were mine I would put 5 in too. I would also top off when it's a 1/2 quart low rather than 1.

It is 4.5qt with filter, and the same for his car.

There's no benefit to overfilling, just the risk of aeration and engine damage.

Yes, it is better to top off sooner than later.

OP help me understand. I see two reports. How many miles were on the first report? Do you have any thoughts between your 5-30 and 0-20 test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back