Fram xg3976a or wix 57620 for 5.9l cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed it down between these two filters due to availability in my area. It is my tow vehicle and only gets driven on the weekends so the usage is low. I put about 8000 miles on it a year. About 2500 of that is towing a 5000 lb trailer. I'm using Rotella 15w-40. What filter and oci?

Thanks

Depends on how often you're going to change it-if you're going 8K a year or less I'd go Wix, if you're going to max it out for 10K (or more), use the Ultra (or better, like a Stratapore Venturi [what I use on my '06]).

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like fram ultra is one of the best out there. I know there are other choices but I think for availablity and price the ultra is my best option.

Fram Wearguard HD / Full Flow. It's a real truck filter.

framheavyduty.com

When my wrecker fleet had Dodge 4500 and 5500 that was my filter for all Cummins. It's an amazing filter IMO but rare unless your in the trucking industry.

From Fram:

FRAM® Wearguard® HD Oil Filter – Black (HPH)
Fram® Wearguard® HD filters are engineered for fleets looking to extend drain intervals. FRAM Wearguard HD filters are constructed with a robust media that offers durability, increased capacity, and improved dirt particle removal down to 20 microns at 98% efficiency.

Technologies:
Wearguard HD media, specially layered with a screen backing for combating effects of harsh operating environments
High efficiency media – 98% efficient at 20 microns
CJ4 oil compatible
Improved capacity to meet change intervals of today and tomorrow.
Results:
Wearguard HD media, specially layered with a screen backing for combating effects of harsh operating environments
High efficiency media – 98% efficient at 20 microns
CJ4 oil compatible
Improved capacity to meet change intervals of today and tomorrow.

If you're not ordering online use the Fram Ultra, if you plan on ordering an oil filter online try Baldwin oil filters alotta semis use this them.

Last edited:
Fram Wearguards are a completely separate Fram division making filters for extreme duty applications such as industrial motors and over the road trucks. They have (3) lines of filters under the Wearguard brands. They are above the Ultra for heavy duty applications.

Thanks for the info. The only reservation I have about ordering online is I'd have to buy in bulk to see the savings. Unfortunately, my garage reaches extreme temperatures in the summer so I can't stockpile filters. I think the ultra is probably my best bet as of now.

^^^ Keep them inside the house someplace, not in the garage.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Fram Wearguards are a completely separate Fram division making filters for extreme duty applications such as industrial motors and over the road trucks. They have (3) lines of filters under the Wearguard brands. They are above the Ultra for heavy duty applications.
That's actually a slightly lower spec than the Ultra, the Ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns. The Ultra isn't made for many HD OTR applications-but it is for the 6BT Cummins.

Last edited:
I didn't say they were a higher spec in regards to microns. I said they were above the Ultra for heavy duty applications which is exactly what Fram themselves state. The actual filtration efficiency isn't the only way to measure the quality of the filter. Heavy duty can and higher burst pressure, more containment holding, full flow w no bypass ect. Some of the best heavy duty over the road truck filters don't always have the best spec in microns. I'm not sure at what micron filtering smaller particles has any benefit. I'm sure there is s point where it doesn't matter.

I like the Ultras but for brute durability when I ran a fleet of Cummins I used Wearguards. The UOA were outstanding with them on long OCIs.

Consider the wix XL which is a premium filter has a lower micron rating.

rockauto has the black can Wearguards very reasonably priced one as singles.

Last edited:
I bought the wix xp. It was half the price of the fram ultra at rock auto. It seems to be built very similar to the ultra as it uses synthetic wire backed media.

Originally Posted By: monster1
I bought the wix xp. It was half the price of the fram ultra at rock auto. It seems to be built very similar to the ultra as it uses synthetic wire backed media.

That's about the only similarity. Forget about efficiency.
eek.gif
RockAuto must be blowing them out if it was 1/2 the price of an Ultra.

Yeah. They are about 7 bucks each. So the wix xp isn't all that great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back