Please comment on BG EPR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanic want to use BG EPR and put rotella 15W 40 in my honda accord witch has 200K miles on it.....The manual calls for 5W20...I am in a warm climate. Oil always changed ever 3K miles........El Paso

Well, not all mechanic's that call themselves that understand oil. I would just run a good synthetic 5W-20, Mobil 1 Extended Performance with a Mobil 1 filter and a 7.5K OCI.

Is there a problem your mechanic is trying to solve with that engine restore product? I don't think I'd change anything on a good-running engine -- just continue to do what you've been doing.

If there's a major issue with the engine, like if it's burning a massive amount of oil, then something from a can probably can't hurt anything, but I also doubt there's much chance of success.

Runs great...He sounds a little like religion when he talks...Thought I would ask....Thanks Charlie

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Is there a problem your mechanic is trying to solve with that engine restore product? I don't think I'd change anything on a good-running engine -- just continue to do what you've been doing.

If there's a major issue with the engine, like if it's burning a massive amount of oil, then something from a can probably can't hurt anything, but I also doubt there's much chance of success.

I agree with this.

If I was going to go different on the oil I would not go beyond the Mobil synthetic 10W-30 High Mileage. 200K Honda engine with oil changed every 3k miles may be good for another 200K miles with just the same treatment.

I have moved to using Archoil AR9100 in all of our gas and diesel engines. Last summer we picked up a 2002 Dodge Ram with the big 5.9L V8 gas engine. It burned a quart of oil every 500 miles. After using AR9100 every oil change for the last 10K miles it is no longer drinking oil. I can not say where the AR9100 was a factor or not.

Wild fluids advice needs to be researched before acting on it in my view. Best of luck. If you like your past results just do more of the same care for the engine.
smile.gif

I don't see any need for BG products here. Also a diesel rated 15w40 will be way too thick for a 5w20 specified gasoline engine. The HTHSV difference is huge.

If you have issues with leaks or consumption I would go with a high mileage 5w30 or 10w30 before a diesel 15w40. Yes it will work but being too thick isn't really beneficial.

The BG reps demonstrated the EPR system for us at my dealership, and I'm not impressed with the results. When I get to work tomorrow I can give you exact compression numbers, before and after. The test vehicle was a Toyota Matrix (can't remember the year), had over 150k miles. Compression numbers were all over the place, with a difference of I think 40 points from highest to lowest. When the test was finished three of the compression numbers were lower, in the 120 range, one cylinder stayed roughly the same compression wise. Now it probably wasn't the best test subject, however, the compression was lowered overall, even though each cylinder was closer (within 10 points or so). Again I'll get exact numbers for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
There are ways to add compression which are not good for the long term health of the engine such as restore engine oil additive which uses soft metals to plug the oil filter and circulate the metal into the oiling system and get the oil rings to seal better, this product may actually work in this situation but this is a short term solution for something that should be going to the junkyard in short time and not something I would run on an engine unless it wasn't going to be rebuilt.

Daughter's 2007 Camry 4-banger, yep the one known for oil consumption, had started using more oil at around the 90K mark, about 1 quart per 1,500 miles, which is not enough for relief from Toyota. The oil drain holes in the piston skirts get plugged and it burns oil. I decided to try the BG EPR when I changed her oil. Followed instructions and ran it in old oil for a little more than 10 minutes. RPMs ranged from 1,200 to 1,800. Drained oil and it definitely had a funky smell. Checked her oil last night and it was barely down 1/4 of a quart after 1,000 miles. I'm happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back